General Category > Amstrad CPC hardware

Retro Radionics Arcader Joystick - Not CPC Compatible?

(1/4) > >>

chinnyhill10:
I was sent a new Arcader Joystick by a channel viewer a few months ago. Nice joystick, well built but when used on the CPC it seemed a bit sluggish. So I checked it out in BASIC and saw that it was randomly throwing out "Z's" when I moved it. I spoke to the person who sent it who couldn't remember what configuration he had ordered.

So I then went and ordered another joystick and specifically selected CPC configeration on their website. It turned up last week and seems to be a newer revision. But it still had problems on the CPC.

No matter what configuration I use it in, I get odd things happening. Random fire button 2's appearing when not pressed. Probably easier if you watch this video:

https://youtu.be/IPZ1FuaUQIo

My best theory is that the auto fire circuitry isn't playing nicely with the CPC and is spewing out signals the machine doesn't like. But I can't be sure. I'm in contact with the seller but his response is "but it's fine in games". Which is a crap answer really. The joystick is spewing out random fire button two outputs so goodness knows what else it may be inputting into the micro.

I realise nobody will know how the circuitry of the joystick works, but does anyone think I'm right in suspecting that all the smart circuitry in this stick is tripping up the CPC and if so will it cause issues for other machines (doesn't the MSX also have similar auto fire issues to the CPC)?

Anyone know or have a guess? Or even better do you have one of these sticks on your CPC?

Cheers.

Fessor:
Autofire does not work on the CPC because there are no 5V available on the joystick port.
The Quickshot 2 had the same Problem, but you could simply detach the connection from the circuit board back in time.
An alternative would be a port adapter that provides the required 5V.

Gryzor:
What's smart about it? Does it have a custom made board in it? Is it programmable in any sense?

eto:

--- Quote from: Gryzor on 09:33, 11 August 21 ---What's smart about it? Does it have a custom made board in it? Is it programmable in any sense?

--- End quote ---

Nothing smart about it. Just a NE555 and a jumper to select Atari vs C64. However it's not clear if there is a specific Amstrad version. I would expect they simply shipped the Atari version and nobody ever recognized the secondary button issue as rarely games used it.

--- Code: ---https://youtu.be/myyJnqXWbdg?t=504
--- End code ---

chinnyhill10:

--- Quote from: eto on 11:47, 11 August 21 ---
Nothing smart about it. Just a NE555 and a jumper to select Atari vs C64. However it's not clear if there is a specific Amstrad version. I would expect they simply shipped the Atari version and nobody ever recognized the secondary button issue as rarely games used it.

--- Code: ---https://youtu.be/myyJnqXWbdg?t=504
--- End code ---

--- End quote ---

Sorry, my fault. The word "smart" has a different meaning these days. What I meant was it's got more going on internally than a standard joystick from what I can see. It has 3 fire buttons configerations and some sort of chip that manages the auto fire.

I guess I'm going to have to open it up and see if the fire buttons are wired the correct way.

But the disappointing part is how neither of these sticks behave as intended out of the box.

During ordering they offer the opportunity to select what machine you want it for. So I selected CPC. The website and manual also indicate that the stick should work with the CPC out of the box.

It seems while it may appear to work, it throws out random fire button 2's without you even touching fire button 2.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version