News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

RGB Cable/Black & White picture?

Started by Novabug, 20:26, 25 April 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Novabug

This has probably been answered before, but here goes.

I want to capture footage from the 464 using a DVR. I have tested this method successfully using a Super Nintendo. Hooking up the CPC with a 464 RGB Scart cable from The Sinclair Shop I get a black and white picture when plugged into the DVR or directly into the TV. I can change the input setting on the DVR to RGB, but this has no effect. I cannot force the Scart input of the TV to RGB, but as it's a modern set I know it can run RGB.

I'm assuming I have to add a 1.5v supply to the cable, but I'm not sure how to do this. Can anyone advise, in a simple way.

For info, My TV is a Toshiba Regza 37RV636D, and the recorder is a Pioneer DVR-220. I'm using the power supply from a GT65

Many thanks

Guy0me

If it helps for some reason i don't understand i have seeing this kind of problems too ! I use a scart cable to plug a 6128 Old or PLUS and i have black and white picture.. and the problem was .. THE TV ..
In 4 different LCD screen i have 3 with black and white picture and 1 good ..
I have finally took a 16/9 LCD who was tested before by users of Amstrad machine .. so i was sure it works !

I guess the RGB signal is not send by the CPC and the TV need to make it by itself ..

Novabug

To make it even more odd, a freind of mine had his 6128 running in colour fine on a Bang and Olsen TV. But after looking at the connections, they all appear connected wrong, mostly.

Pin 1 goes to 15
Pin 2 goes to 11
Pin 3 goes to 7
Pin 4 goes to 16
Pin 5 goes to 17 (and Audio ground goes here too!)
Pin 6 goes to 20

Audio R goes to 2
Audio L goes to 6.

Confused!

Novabug

Been looking around, my cable layout is this.. http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/a/a8/Alt_Scart_Connect.PNG

but still gives a black and white output

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Novabug on 20:26, 25 April 15
This has probably been answered before, but here goes.

I want to capture footage from the 464 using a DVR. I have tested this method successfully using a Super Nintendo.

What works for one machine doesn't work for another. I have to change setups between the different machines I capture from and what works for a CPC doesn't work for a SNES. The CPC does indeed produce a black and white picture on some setups. In fact my Spectrum +2a produces no picture at all on any of the equipment combinations I use but a grey +2 is fine. Go figure!

The only solution I've found was different selections of kit for different bits of hardware. Which is expensive and time consuming but at least I now get the results I wanted. In the case of the CPC I have to pass the RGB through a Panasonic DVD recorder before it gets to the capture card (DVD recorder isn't recording, it just converts it to component for me to capture).
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

remax

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 23:29, 25 April 15
The only solution I've found was different selections of kit for different bits of hardware. Which is expensive and time consuming but at least I now get the results I wanted. In the case of the CPC I have to pass the RGB through a Panasonic DVD recorder before it gets to the capture card (DVD recorder isn't recording, it just converts it to component for me to capture).

You wouldn't imagine everything i use to get the TV on my MP3 Tuner for the CTM :D
Brain Radioactivity

Munchausen

The alternative wiring you posted is what I use, and it works everywhere I've tried (on 3 LCD TVs and a Sony CRT TV). I originally used a different connection, and could not get it to work.

Also - this wiring set up should not need a 1.5V supply anywhere (because of the capacitor).

Novabug

What works for one machine doesn't work for another. I have to change setups between the different machines I capture from and what works for a CPC doesn't work for a SNES. The CPC does indeed produce a black and white picture on some setups. In fact my Spectrum +2a produces no picture at all on any of the equipment combinations I use but a grey +2 is fine. Go figure!

Yeah, messed around a bit myself with connections. Was sure this would work.

Novabug

Quote from: Munchausen on 07:55, 26 April 15
The alternative wiring you posted is what I use, and it works everywhere I've tried (on 3 LCD TVs and a Sony CRT TV). I originally used a different connection, and could not get it to work.

Also - this wiring set up should not need a 1.5V supply anywhere (because of the capacitor).

Opened up my cable. There is no capacitor in the plug....

kevin.c

The problem is with right voltage on SCART pin 16.  Voltage on this pin selects the tv or monitor electronics to RGB:  2-3Volts or Composite Video (PAL): 0 volts.
CPCwiki mod with electrolityc capacitor on pins 18/16 works but not in every tv/monitor.  In some cases voltave developed on capacitor is not enough to switch tv to RGB mode. It is a matter of RGB tv chipset threshold voltage.
For fast test try to  use two AA type 1,5V batteries connected in series, with minus to pin 18 and plus to pin 16.
When you are going to apply external voltage to pin 16, the wire connecting pin 4 of amstrad video out and SCART pin 16 must be removed.

Bryce

Quote from: Novabug on 09:06, 26 April 15

Opened up my cable. There is no capacitor in the plug....

Add the capacitor and you should get a coloured picture.

Bryce.

Munchausen

Quote from: Bryce on 12:06, 26 April 15

Bryce.

+1 this has always worked for me.

Novabug

Quote from: Bryce on 12:06, 26 April 15

Bryce.

Will do. Just need to get hold of the right Cap. a 100uF, voltage?

Novabug

Quote from: kevin.c on 10:22, 26 April 15
The problem is with right voltage on SCART pin 16.  Voltage on this pin selects the tv or monitor electronics to RGB:  2-3Volts or Composite Video (PAL): 0 volts.
CPCwiki mod with electrolityc capacitor on pins 18/16 works but not in every tv/monitor.  In some cases voltave developed on capacitor is not enough to switch tv to RGB mode. It is a matter of RGB tv chipset threshold voltage.
For fast test try to  use two AA type 1,5V batteries connected in series, with minus to pin 18 and plus to pin 16.
When you are going to apply external voltage to pin 16, the wire connecting pin 4 of amstrad video out and SCART pin 16 must be removed.

I take it this wire can remain if I put the cap in place? Where does pin 4 go if I do put a battery in? to nowhere?

Bryce

Quote from: Novabug on 21:23, 26 April 15

Will do. Just need to get hold of the right Cap. a 100uF, voltage?

A 10 or 16V capacitor will do.

Bryce.

Novabug

After loads of messing around with cables, and settings and such like, before I mod anything. It turns out the DVR is the troublermaker. I hope adding the capacitor will solve this.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t-wzYhn_mk&feature=youtu.be

Bryce

seanb

What type of capture card do you use?
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

MacDeath

What type of capture card do you use?

Card Captor Sakura OST ( Card Captured Theme )

:D
sorry for the troll...

seanb

>:(
I was so happy I might've had an answer  :-[

:D
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!