SYMBiFACE II can be ordered again! - new batch finally available

Started by Prodatron, 20:33, 10 December 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Prodatron

Hi,

good news: The new SYMBiFACE II batch is finished, and it's new "firmware" is also working now! This time, the whole process took a little bit longer as originally planned, but now it's done :)

Price for one card is 120€ + shipping

Everyone who is interested, please write me directly to
jmika [a t] prodatron [d o t] net

CU,
Prodatron

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

robcfg

Hallo Jörn!

Could you tell us what features does the new firmware have?

And, it's possible to update an older Symbiface II board to the new firmware?

Not that my board doesn't work just dandy, but the more juice we can get, the better!  ;)

Prodatron

Hi Robcfg,

sorry, please don't mix it up :) Of course the functions and features of the new batch stay exactly the same. There are no differences to the old cards.
It was necessary to modify internal stuff a little bit, as some of the chips had to be replaced with more actual ones (the old ones aren't available anymore - but the new ones also don't do anything more then the old ones).
That was the reason for the delay.
CU,
Prodatron

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Badstarr

How much will these devices be selling for? I'm rather tempted if I can lay my hands on enough cash, to put it another way, if the price is right I will take one!  :D
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

Prodatron

Sorry for not mentioning the price before. It's still the same as usual: 120€ + shipping

CU,
Prodatron

Badstarr

Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

Gryzor

Short question - was the RTC changed in the new board? IIRC, the one that's used will run out of batter in a few years' time and there's no way to replace it...? So it kind of becomes useless after that period.

Prodatron

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:30, 11 December 12
Short question - was the RTC changed in the new board? IIRC, the one that's used will run out of batter in a few years' time and there's no way to replace it...? So it kind of becomes useless after that period.

The RTC is still the same Dallas chip with integrated batterie. This chip is socketed, so if the batterie will ever be empty, you can replace the whole chip in a very simple way.
The batterie with the blue frame, which you can see on the board, is responsible for the ROMs. Dr.Zed calculated, that it would suffice for more than 10 years. So even the very first SF2 cards from 2006 would have working ROMs until 2016 or longer. If it will ever be empty (in the far future ;) ), you have to un-solder the batterie and replace it with another one.

We were discussing this, when the new batch was planned at the beginning of this year. Unfortunately it wasn't possible to make changes to the layout (e.g. for the batterie) without re-creating the whole board.

CU,
Prodatron

Joss

Hi Prodatron. I take one too. I'll send you an email. Thanks!

Gryzor

Oh, I didn't realise the RTC is socketed. Do you have any in stock?

But why solder the other battery instead of placing a battery socket?

Bryce

The battery socket has a different footprint than the soldered battery, so they would have had to re-do the entire layout to make that change.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Nah, I meant why not do it socketed from the beginning... soldering batteries sounds a bit strange.

Bryce

Soldering in the battery was standard practice back then. Most PCs and as most of us here know, many Amigas had the battery soldered in too.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Huh? :D But we're talking about the SF here, not the CPC! 

Prodatron

Well its already 8 years ago when this project started  ;D

CU,
Prodatron

Gryzor

Prodatron

I mean that its senseless to discuss it after 8 years

Gryzor

A new batch is being made; people are buying it. I'd say it makes quite a bit of sense to discuss it ;)

Prodatron

Quote from: Prodatron on 20:10, 11 December 12We were discussing this, when the new batch was planned at the beginning of this year. Unfortunately it wasn't possible to make changes to the layout (e.g. for the batterie) without re-creating the whole board.
Quote from: Bryce on 12:06, 14 December 12The battery socket has a different footprint than the soldered battery, so they would have had to re-do the entire layout to make that change.
Quote from: Gryzor on 12:08, 14 December 12Nah, I meant why not do it socketed from the beginning...
Quote from: Gryzor on 12:54, 14 December 12A new batch is being made; people are buying it. I'd say it makes quite a bit of sense to discuss it ;)

I don't get your point. Bryce and I described the problem quite well I think. Do you want to discuss it for a successor of the SF2 or what is your intention?

Gryzor

Quote from: ProdatronI don't get your point. Bryce and I described the problem quite well I think. Do you want to discuss it for a successor of the SF2 or what is your intention?

You know how people sometimes talk about stuff that can't be changed any more, just because they're interesting and all? Like, "Why didn't Sugar put a 3.5" drive in the CPC"? 

Same here: "why did they go with a soldered battery in the first place?"... the more so since this is a project alive and well! Bryce didn't describe the problem, he was referring to something else, as far as I understand.

Prodatron

Ok, I got it!  ;D
If there will ever be a successor of the SF2 we will use a easy-to-replace battery ;)

Gryzor

Prodatron

There is this working SF3-prototype from 2008, which is plugged on top of the SF2.
But I don't know if Dr.Zed will make a batch, as there was still some work left making it ready for serial production.

db6128

These look great, and I'm very tempted to buy one, but I don't know when I'll be able to; do you think they'll be available for a good amount of time still?
Quote from: Devilmarkus on 13:04, 27 February 12
Quote from: ukmarkh on 11:38, 27 February 12[The owner of one of the few existing cartridges of Chase HQ 2] mentioned to me that unless someone could find a way to guarantee the code wouldn't be duplicated to anyone else, he wouldn't be interested.
Did he also say things like "My treasureeeeee" and is he a little grey guy?