News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

what next for my CPC 464 ?

Started by morcar, 18:21, 27 May 12

Previous topic - Next topic

morcar

I used to have for a short time a C64 with all the mod cons like a disk drive and such and a zx spectrum +2 plus and of course an Amstrad CPC464.

I have sold the first 2, but something inside said i shouldn't be selling this CPC464 even though it was up for sale so I have decided to keep it.

Having a good play on it with manic miner and such I think I have done the right thing.

So my question is although getting the interface to allow a disk drive is like finding blood out of a stone (I don't really want to buy outside of the UK as I have had bad things going on) What other hardware should I be getting.

I have a GX4000 controller which I think does the job nicely for most games and my machine is hooked up to a 15' CRT TV and looks amazing.

I have no real games as i use a tape adaptor at the moment and I have converted the CDT files into WAV which are played from my PC although my tests on using my old DS have been very successful. So I might be using that in the near future along with the real tapes.

arnoldemu

I am happy that you are already using your cpc464 and that you are already loading tapes. There are lots of cassettes out there and lots of stuff runs on the 464.

Finding the disc interface will take time, an alternative, when it's ready is the CPCSD interface. This could really save your time with loading games that have been adapted for it.

Another thing that may be hard to find but which is important is extra RAM. A Dk'tronics 64k ram expansion is the minimum, there are other compatible ones around that should be equally as good. A fair amount of software makes use of the extra ram.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

arnoldemu

A symbiface 2 is good. It has 512k ram, 512k programmable rom, it can interface to a hard drive.
You could connect it up to the 464, have all the ram and rom you need, and load direct from hard drive, or even an sd card!
This is another solution ;)
It may be expensive... £100+ or so.
Another possibility is the cheaper 8255 based IDE interface that rpalmer made (and still has some).
This can also allow you to load from hard drive or sd card, the only problem here is that you would also need a rom board.
Perhaps a megarom from Bryce may help that if he still has one, or a megaflash (same as a rom board but programmable from cpc).

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

morcar

With all the problems I am getting in loading up speedlock games like Rainbows Islands and Arkanoid 2 I am really thinking about selling the 464 and getting a 6128 just to use disks. I think as lot of my problems will be solved in 1 go then. Still I like all the options I have at the moment with this 464 and its hard to get rid of this little baby as i like it a lot.

Bryce

The 464 just looks so cool. Even if you get a 6128, I'd still hang on to the 464.

Bryce.

morcar

Quote from: Bryce on 10:12, 30 May 12
The 464 just looks so cool. Even if you get a 6128, I'd still hang on to the 464.

Bryce.

I have to agree it does look cool. In fact I am half tempted in modding my ZX Spectrum +2B to look like it.  :laugh:

Gryzor

The 464 is my favorite-looking machine. Atari STFM comes second. The ZX Spectrum+ is nice, too, but the 464 is a beautiful beast.

Cholo

Id definately recommend getting a 6128 as well .. simply for the easy data transfers (that why i got one and for the easy hookup to other old/modern hardware as well). The 6128 (uk) having the same edge connector as the old style pc means that you pretty much hook up a "modern" 3,5" pc floppy drive (or HxC or similar drive emulator) straight-ish up. Similar hooking up a 3" drive or 5.25" is equally easy (but harder to get of cause .. still much easier than getting a DDI+3"drive for 464). Also a 464+DDI+64k ram+basic1.0 will never be the exact same as a 6128 with its build in drive+64k ram+basic1.1 .. and most of the 128kb games was programmed to be compatible with the 6128. Also the price of getting a 6128+pc floppy cable+pc 3,5" is probably less than £45-ish .. and i dare not think what a 64k ram + DDI for 464 is gonna cost compared to that.

Anyways, im a 464 fan myself id definately suggest that you keep it. Not because its better looking .. but because it has more free base memory than the 6128. As the 464 was the first one, the first games was programmed for the 464 "size" so there is also a some games that quite literately dont fit the 6128.

00WReX

Have to agree with the others, the 464 is my all time favourite...but it is a 6128 that I have permanently setup on my desk.
And personally, I really like the German Schneider version as I prefer the Centronics type connectors over the edge connectors.

I'm in Australia, so we had the same edge connectors as everyone else. But after sourcing a Schneider 6128 and plugging various things into it...the Centronics connectors give a really reliable connection.

Cheers,
Shane 
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki