News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Gotek/HxC

Started by ComSoft6128, 08:53, 30 August 17

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

A question for you hardware guys.
Both Gotek and HxC are used for loading games. Is this "a one way street" or are these devices cable of bi-directional data flow?
IE
Transferring files from drive A or B on a 6128 to them?
And yes I would imagine that if they are capable of this that there will be no software to implement this function but that would be a bridge to be crossed in the future.

Cheers,

Peter

tjohnson

I've got a gotek flashed with the hxc software and it can save as well as load so it is bidirectional. The 6128 sees it like a normal disk.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

ComSoft6128

Thanks for the reply.

That is interesting. Can individual files be transferred?
The reason I am asking is that I have hundreds of Romdos D20 discs with files on them, mainly Protext files but other types as well. I don't need to copy them all over, probably about 50% - so creating a Dsk image is not what I am looking for.

Cheers,

Peter

ASiC

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 09:39, 30 August 17
Thanks for the reply.

The reason I am asking is that I have hundreds of Romdos D20 discs with files on them, mainly Protext files but other types as well. I don't need to copy them all over, probably about 50% - so creating a Dsk image is not what I am looking for.

Cheers,

Peter

Have a look at the M4 board.
I believe that it's what you need (and more) :)

remax

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 09:39, 30 August 17
Thanks for the reply.

Cheers,

Peter

Like any real disk, individual files can be transfered as soon as the OS support the format of Romdos.
Brain Radioactivity

tjohnson

So you are looking at a means of transferring files off the cpc onto a windows machine?

ComSoft6128

Exactly.
Since resurrecting my 6128 Plus here (after a nearly 20 year gap) and adding a new 3.5 drive from ikonsgr - the failure rate of the Romdos D20 discs that I have looked at is about 10%.
As time passes I have no doubt this will increase, so I am trying to transfer my files over to a more stable environment while it is still possible.

Cheers,

Peter

tjohnson

You could use a gotek for this flashed with the hxc software.   You can write individual files, save to the gotek, use the hxc software to convert to a dsk then use cpcdiskxp to extract individual files onto your pc.

CraigsBar

Would it not me easer just to use cpcdiskxp to make the dsk then extract the files from it.... So long as you have access to a PC with a real floppy controller.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

ComSoft6128

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, clarified the situation for me. I have asked Duke to put me on the waiting list for the M4 board. When it arrives I will use Symbos to read files from the 3" A drive to an SD card and then transfer to the laptop. The few weeks between now and when the M4 is available can be spent transferring selected files from the Romdos D20's to the A drive using Parados or DES. In the longer term Prodatron has indicated that it might be possible for Romdos discs to be a recognised format within Symbos.
When I have any updates I will post them to let you know how I am getting on.

Again - many thanks to you all - it feels good to be near a solution for a near two decade old problem.

Cheers,

Peter