Author Topic: USIfAC II:Convert a PC or USB stick to Amstrad HDD,access dsk's,and many more!  (Read 62595 times)

Offline shacpc

• CPC464
    • Awards
Can someone add the FM file from the file manager without the initial question from the old device and directly start the file listing for a current one? thanks
No reactions

Online eto

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
    • Awards
If you have a PIC programmer, try to reflash firmware. 

Hi @ikonsgr - so reflashing worked, but the 464 often hangs on boot and can sometimes not even be reset. I have to turn it off to make it work again. Any ideas if this can be resolved?

First time I power up the 464, it hangs after the copyright message (see image below). I click the reset button and then it fully boots. I can then click reset and every time it boots perfectly UNTIL I enter |USB. Once I do that and a reset will always fail. It always hangs after the copyright message like after the first boot. I have to turn off the computer and then start again.
No reactions

Offline ikonsgr

• 6128 Plus
    • ikonsgr 80's Home Micros WorkBench
    • Awards
I notice that the USIFAC needs a file extension to load a basic file, whereas unpatched AMSDOS will assume .BAS if not specified. For example if I have a file called "DISC.BAS", AMSDOS will normally accept
Code: [Select]
RUN"DISC" whereas USIFAC will require
Code: [Select]
RUN"DISC.BAS" to load it.
Well, that's because the code emulation i develop, when you request to load/run a file without extension, it first tries to load the file as it is, if it's not found, then assumes it has a BIN extnesion and tries again with it  :)  So, for files with BIN extension you DONT need to add it on LOAD" or RUN" commands. But for files with BAS extension (usually basic files) you have to add it. I also mention this in the last "HINTS and TIPS"  section of user's guide  ;)
« Last Edit: 20:10, 13 January 22 by ikonsgr »
No reactions

Offline ikonsgr

• 6128 Plus
    • Awards
Can someone add the FM file from the file manager without the initial question from the old device and directly start the file listing for a current one? thanks
Downalod filemanger again from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aaeqqvvuuln3pcc/File%20manager.zip?dl=0
I've added a second basic program named "FM2" which doesn't include the question and directly loads file manager! ;)
Of course if you have older board (i think rev3 or older) you should use "FM" as before.
Members reacted like:
shacpc,

Offline ikonsgr

• 6128 Plus
    • Awards
Hi @ikonsgr - so reflashing worked, but the 464 often hangs on boot and can sometimes not even be reset. I have to turn it off to make it work again. Any ideas if this can be resolved?
One thing you can check is the psu you are using. Many times a power cable splitter or small psu can cause under voltage problems. Also, a bad edge connector contact can cause erratic behavior too.
Anyway, with my CPC 464 everything works ok with rev6 firmware,never had such boot problems, so i suppose the problem doesn't have to do with firmware bug.
Btw, i've upload again the last rev6 just to be sure it's the right one  :) . Also, did you try  to flash older firmware revisions to see if you get the same problem?
No reactions

Offline ikonsgr

• 6128 Plus
    • Awards
A couple of other things that I recognized today with the 464 (I have another Usifac which still works):
The filemanager has some issues with programs that have no extension and stops with an error in line 1. If not I often get a Syntax error or "File already open". A simple patch which creates a valid BASIC line will change that. Just add an ending ", a 0-byte and make sure the length of the line in &170  is set correctly.
Even with this patch, the "File already open" error can still happen. E.g. Who dares wins fails after it loads another Basic file. Can this somehow be fixed?
Would it be possible that the file manager continues to use the MODE that has been selected in the Basic part? The reason for this is, that on the original colour monitor (and even worse on the MP1/2 modulator) Mode 2 text is hard to read - and since it only uses 11 characters anyway, MODE1 or even 0 would not have any disadvantage and everybody could change the BASIC file based on individual preferences.
I've checked WHO DARES WINS II, indeed the basic loader program has a: run"loader command, when the real file is "loader.bas". As i explained, with BAS files, you have to mention the extension in order to load it. So you can simply add .bas extension on the last command of basic listing, and then save the file, from now on it should work ok :)
 And here is some explanation of why i select to automatically check for .BIN extensions instead of .BAS: During testing i've encountered quite a few muti file games with basic loaders, where the .BIN extension of binary files requested in basic program. For example there was a line: LOAD"FILE",&8000 but the actual file was named "FILE.BIN". That's why i add a second attempt for loading files, if initial load fails, try again using "BIN" extension. This works for most games, but in some rare cases,(like WDW II, and i suppose this should happens mainly with "early days" games) , a basic loader listing has basic line to run another basic program! In this case, if the  basic program name has "bas" extension, but this is omitted in the basic command, loading will fail. But fortunately as i already wrote, it's rather easy to correct this problem!  ;)
« Last Edit: 20:47, 13 January 22 by ikonsgr »
No reactions

Online eto

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
    • Awards
One thing you can check is the psu you are using. Many times a power cable splitter or small psu can cause under voltage problems. Also, a bad edge connector contact can cause erratic behavior too.
Anyway, with my CPC 464 everything works ok with rev6 firmware,never had such boot problems, so i suppose the problem doesn't have to do with firmware bug.
Btw, i've upload again the last rev6 just to be sure it's the right one   . Also, did you try  to flash older firmware revisions to see if you get the same problem?

I tried it with several PSUs and there is no change. It happened wit the very old firmware (v2 or so) and the current one. As it's 100% reliable and repeatable I doubt that it's the edge connector, but I will clean it just to be sure.

I can also try with a different firmware if that makes sense.
No reactions

Online eto

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
    • Awards
I've checked WHO DARES WINS II, indeed the basic loader program has a run"loader command when the real file is "loader.bas". As i explained, with BAS files you have to mentions the extension in order to load it, so you can simply add .bas extension on the last command of basic listing, and then save the file, from now on it should work ok

Ah - nice!
No reactions