News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Third joystick button for the Plus/GX4000?

Started by eto, 19:29, 08 April 21

Previous topic - Next topic

eto

I am aware that there is almost no support for the third joystick button, but I'm working on a tiny game that would use it and I am wondering, if (in general) we could add support for the third button easily to the Plus and the GX4000.

Except for the pullup resistor (which, as I just learned, should be removed anyway) it looks like the joystick pins are directly connected to the soundchip pins. Can I add support for the third joystick button on the Plus by connecting pin5 to the respective pin of the soundchip?

TotO

Probably yes by wiring it to the X7 line (AY pin8) ...
Now, you will require a compatible controller too and nobody else can play your game.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

GUNHED

Yes, sure, super easy! There is more Fire 3 support than people thing.
I soldered that in my 6128plus, just look how other signals work. Amstrad was just to greedy to do it for fire 3 too.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

eto

Quote from: GUNHED on 13:24, 09 April 21There is more Fire 3 support than people thing.

do you have examples?

eto

Quote from: TotO on 12:23, 09 April 21nobody else can play your game.

That's fine. It's a POC and the game is for me and my kids. I also have a version that can be played with the keyboard.

Shaun M. Neary

Just an idea to this... I'm wondering if a converter cable could be used if a third button was to be enabled. To be used with the likes of Sega Megadrive three button controllers?

Kinda like the cable used on the Spectrum joystick ports to make regular joysticks work?
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

eto

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 15:35, 09 April 21Just an idea to this... I'm wondering if a converter cable could be used if a third button was to be enabled. To be used with the likes of Sega Megadrive three button controllers?

I have modified a Megadrive gamepad. If you remove the chip and resistors inside the gamepad, you can just add a few connections on the gamepad mainboard and it will work with the Amstrad. You don't even need to replace the cable. Very convenient.