News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Thoughts on heat sinks on a cpc 6128

Started by Cunnah, 19:32, 07 February 22

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunnah

Hi,

I have recently acquired the first computer I ever had the CPC 6128 and I am currently considering if I should look at some form of cooling options to improve longevity. One of my other hobbies is high end custom gaming PC's so I have a fair collection of small form factor heatsinks (I am not sure what kind of clearance I have inside the case but these should cover all clearances short of the case actually touching the chips.

Has anyone else considered/done this? If so how did it go and what would you recommend. Further to this is it even nessacary? I am aware this is a practice with C64 chips but I have first hand seen how toasty they get.

Thanks anyhow,

Cunnah

Fran123

There are 40-year old units running without heatsinks. Don't worry.

zhulien

my original CPC464 had a heatsink on the VGA - not sure if any other models had them.

TotO

Quote from: zhulien on 23:35, 08 February 22
my original CPC464 had a heatsink on the VGA - not sure if any other models had them.
Only CPC 464 with GA40007.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Kris

eto

Quote from: Kris on 07:36, 09 February 226128 with GA 40007 have this too.

Oh, interesting. I always thought the 40007 never was used in a 6128. Even the Wiki says, that despite having the solder points in some 6128 board versions, the 6128 only used 40010. Do you have an example picture of such a board, so we can put that into the Wiki and update the entry?

gerald

Quote from: eto on 07:49, 09 February 22
Oh, interesting. I always thought the 40007 never was used in a 6128. Even the Wiki says, that despite having the solder points in some 6128 board versions, the 6128 only used 40010. Do you have an example picture of such a board, so we can put that into the Wiki and update the entry?
MC0057A in the https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Mainboard_Versions

eto

Cunnah

Great, Also this solves a mystery I had. The board I have is a little ratty, there are some corroded traces which I am currently looking into dealing with but looking at the board revisions I noticed that a bodge wire was part of the original board and not some kind of repair.

Anyone know why that is there?