ULIfAC:Usb Mass storage,WiFi, 512KB Ram/32XROM Board/256K Ram+16X Rom Board!

Started by ikonsgr, 11:39, 24 March 23

Previous topic - Next topic

ikonsgr

Quote from: shacpc on 20:39, 17 July 23and those of us who have two USIfAC II + 2 Memory Expansions ;)
Well,i'm afraid it can only be done with ULifAC board,as it uses ULIfAC's internal methods and routines to mount the roms.
Moreover the auto rom loading feature adds ~250 extra bytes in PIC's 128k flash memory and unfortunately USIfAC II firmware is almost full in size (~only 50 bytes left)

shacpc

Quote from: ikonsgr on 20:49, 17 July 23
Quote from: shacpc on 20:42, 17 July 23No, I have connected it as always, updated, with the lights of the Pic facing the device. The case is that the device recognizes it when connected by USB. But unlike USIfAC II, I get this error message and have stopped the update.

This is how you should connect board with PICKIT:
IMG_20230717_224507_864.jpg
I have updated USIfAC II perfectly in the way that it appears in the image and I have tried to update ULIIfAC as it appears in the image, placed in a similar position::

ikonsgr

Quote from: shacpc on 21:10, 17 July 23I have updated USIfAC II perfectly in the way that it appears in the image and I have tried to update ULIIfAC as it appears in the image, placed in a similar position::
No,with ULIfAC you should plug programmer the other way

shacpc

Quote from: ikonsgr on 21:14, 17 July 23
Quote from: shacpc on 21:10, 17 July 23I have updated USIfAC II perfectly in the way that it appears in the image and I have tried to update ULIIfAC as it appears in the image, placed in a similar position::
I've gone through the ULIfAC guide and haven't found any reference to a ULIIfAC fw upgrade tutorial. That's why I tried to use the USIfAC II method.. As it is different from USIfAC II, maybe some notes or tutorial on how to do it would be needed, John. And as always, thank you very much for your feedback.

ikonsgr

Quote from: shacpc on 21:30, 17 July 23I've gone through the ULIfAC guide and haven't found any reference to a ULIIfAC fw upgrade tutorial. That's why I tried to use the USIfAC II method.. As it is different from USIfAC II, maybe some notes or tutorial on how to do it would be needed, John. And as always, thank you very much for your feedback.
you are right, its just that until now, there was no fw update available, so no need to do that  :)

shacpc

Quote from: ikonsgr on 21:47, 17 July 23
Quote from: shacpc on 21:30, 17 July 23I've gone through the ULIfAC guide and haven't found any reference to a ULIIfAC fw upgrade tutorial. That's why I tried to use the USIfAC II method.. As it is different from USIfAC II, maybe some notes or tutorial on how to do it would be needed, John. And as always, thank you very much for your feedback.
you are right, its just that until now, there was no fw update available, so no need to do that  :)
Quote from: shacpc on 21:30, 17 July 23
Quote from: ikonsgr on 21:14, 17 July 23
I've gone through the ULIfAC guide and haven't found any reference to a ULIIfAC fw upgrade tutorial. That's why I tried to use the USIfAC II method.. As it is different from USIfAC II, maybe some notes or tutorial on how to do it would be needed, John. And as always, thank you very much for your feedback.
I answer myself: I have managed to update ULIIfAC without incident. It uses the same update system as with USIfAC II (using MPLAB X IPE and the tutorial that is in English and Spanish in the USIfAC II cpcwiki) but unlike USIfAC II, with ULIfAC you have to use the Pic Kit accessory cable , and in the position of colors that is placed in the images that ikonsgr put on his device and in which I have put my Pic Kit model. Over the weekend we started testing this new update at the CPC. Thank you very much John!

pjrodriguez

I'm a bit confused. It seems that the only way to update the Ulifac firmware is using a hardware device. Isn't there a software only way to do it?

eto

Quote from: Pedro José Rodríguez on 07:49, 18 July 23I'm a bit confused. It seems that the only way to update the Ulifac firmware is using a hardware device. Isn't there a software only way to do it?
The PIC microcontroller unfortunately can only be programmed with additional hardware. The PicKit 3 ist the cheapest possible solution afaik.

pjrodriguez

Quote from: eto on 08:15, 18 July 23
Quote from: Pedro José Rodríguez on 07:49, 18 July 23I'm a bit confused. It seems that the only way to update the Ulifac firmware is using a hardware device. Isn't there a software only way to do it?
The PIC microcontroller unfortunately can only be programmed with additional hardware. The PicKit 3 ist the cheapest possible solution afaik.
Thank you for the quick replay. Where can I purchase that PicKit 3?

ikonsgr

No, i'm afraid you need a PICkit programmer in order to update firmwmare, but procedure is rather easy and PICKIt3 programmers are still rather cheap too (and here is from ebay).I'll soon upload a new Manual with a small firmware update guide included.
Btw, one other option would be to send you a PIC chip with new firmware to replace it , for a few euros ;)

eto

Quote from: ikonsgr on 08:28, 18 July 23are still rather cheap too (and here is from ebay).
but be aware that many very cheap offers that have "pickit 3" in the title but next to a "pickit 2" text are almost always pickit 2 models. They will not work with the microcontroller used on the USIFAC. I tried ;-)

Real Pickit 3 models can be found on Amazon starting at around 30€

ikonsgr

I just upload a revised V2.0 User's Guide, with lots of additions and corrections:

- Add a new section for "Automatic Rom mounting upon boot"
- Add a new section for "Updating ULIfAC firmware"
- Add the OUT commands for enable/disable "auto usb" function and "return to root directory upon boot" under "RSX Commands" section
- Add the important note of mandatory disable of "auto usb" function, for permenantly use of ESP WiFi module at the beginning of "Configure ESP8266 WiFi Module" section
- Some minor additions/corrections

About firmware update, and since i currently have a lot of PIC chips in stock,if anyone wants to try it, and doesn't have, or don't want to buy a pickit programmer only for this, i can send you a PIC Chip with the new Firmware to replace it, for 5euros (including economy postage)

ikonsgr

shacpc

Quote from: ikonsgr on 11:19, 18 July 23And finally,i upload an official ULIfAC page at cpcwiki :)
Hi John, When updating the ULIFAC firmware, it is still necessary to enter the OUT &FBD2,5 command when we reconnect ULIfAC  it to the CPC at the end of the update?. It's just that I didn't do this step out of curiosity and ULIfAC has been working fine for me (the little I've tested, loading 2-3 games). What function does this command OUT &FBD2,5 have in ULIIfAC ?? Thank you.

ikonsgr

Quote from: shacpc on 20:13, 18 July 23Hi John, When updating the ULIFAC firmware, it is still necessary to enter the OUT &FBD2,5 command when we reconnect ULIfAC  it to the CPC at the end of the update?. It's just that I didn't do this step out of curiosity and ULIfAC has been working fine for me (the little I've tested, loading 2-3 games). What function does this command OUT &FBD2,5 have in ULIIfAC ?? Thank you.
OUT &FBD2,X sets the rom number for ULIfAC and saves it in PIC MCU internal eeprom for "remembering" it. If you don't set rom number after flashing PIC, it might not work, although in most cases it will work, because i check the rom number at boot, and if it's not set (no valid number is saved in eeprom), then the default '5' will be chosen. In anycase, better set rom number after updating firmware to be on safe side  :)

ikonsgr

Ok,i thought it would be a good idea to create a "Rom configuration" folder to place ready made configurations (e.g. zip files containing config.txt +rom files), and upload them there, for easy access by anyone who wants to use them.
Here you can find the folder. Just send me the zip file and i'll upload it. I've already add the CPC464_TO_CPC6128 configuration files for automatic conversion of a CPC464 to CPC6128 upon cold boot ;-)

shacpc

Quote from: ikonsgr on 21:11, 18 July 23Ok,i thought it would be a good idea to create a "Rom configuration" folder to place ready made configurations (e.g. zip files containing config.txt +rom files), and upload them there, for easy access by anyone who wants to use them.
Here you can find the folder. Just send me the zip file and i'll upload it. I've already add the CPC464_TO_CPC6128 configuration files for automatic conversion of a CPC464 to CPC6128 upon cold boot ;-)
Is there any way to put the keyboard in Spanish? Your configuration is in English: It has been executed very well. I have tried to replace the OS_6128.ROM with the mod that Duke made for M4 (link) ( os6128_mod_spanish.rom ) but then ULIIfAC when turning on the CPC stays in an infinite reboot loop.

ikonsgr

Quote from: shacpc on 08:34, 19 July 23Is there any way to put the keyboard in Spanish? Your configuration is in English: It has been executed very well. I have tried to replace the OS_6128.ROM with the mod that Duke made for M4 (link) ( os6128_mod_spanish.rom ) but then ULIIfAC when turning on the CPC stays in an infinite reboot loop.
Language pack needs both OS and basic roms to function, Duke's link has only the OS rom. Anyway, i use the roms from certified rom list of  cpcwiki: https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/ROM_List
I download Spanish OS+BASIC from there, and it works fine on CPC464. I also upload the zip file for conversion of CPC464 to Spanish CPC6128:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/bze7siluk53ozz51uvkpx/CPC64_TO_CPC6128_SPANISH.zip?rlkey=2dhybtjpxzsbnkicbvw9sefua&dl=0

shacpc

Quote from: charger73 on 07:43, 16 June 23
Quote from: steph072 on 12:59, 14 June 23Hello,
does some have the experience of running Symbos with ULIFAC ? Thank for advice.
Hello
I was able to install Symbos on the ULIFAC:
1. Load the ROM's
|MROM,"sym-romA.rom",2
|MROM,"sym-romB.rom",3
|MROM,"sym-romC.rom",4
|MROM,"sym-romD.rom",8
2. Activate ROM's:
|SW
3. Mount important drive:
|MG,"SYMBOS.DSK"    (original dsk-name: "SymbOS-CPC-AppsStandard.dsk")
|FDC
4. Start Symbos
|SYM
Very impressing software  :)
Tobie
I have not been able to make it work in ULIIfAC + 464. I have loaded the roms in the assignments that you indicate, with the new ikonsgr system. I have followed the steps literally, but at the time of |SYM the system stops. I have used the files that you indicate from the official website.

ikonsgr

Quote from: shacpc on 08:19, 21 July 23I have not been able to make it work in ULIIfAC + 464. I have loaded the roms in the assignments that you indicate, with the new ikonsgr system. I have followed the steps literally, but at the time of |SYM the system stops. I have used the files that you indicate from the official website.

Unfortunately Symbos is one of the few programrs that doesn't like the MREQ masking (that is required in order to have expansion ram on CPC464), that's why it doesn't load on CPC464. I'm currently searching a way to disable the internal 64K RAM completely and use a 64k block on the expansion RAM, in order for ULIfAC to take full control of memory management thus, eliminate the need of MREQ masking (and possibly offer a fully functioning C3 mode too, mainly for loading CPM+ on CPC464). Practically you will have 64k less total RAM, but hopefully it will function exactly like with a real CPC6128 and be able to use the few programs that currently doesn't work on CPC464

demig

Hi John,

Just upgraded mine and seems to be working fine with my 464 with the 6128 rom etc loading. Reporting basic 2.1. Haven't tested much as have DIN socket issues to sort but all seems good.

Iain

ikonsgr

Quote from: demig on 13:57, 26 July 23Reporting basic 2.1. Haven't tested much as have DIN socket issues to sort but all seems good.
Iain
Well, this actually is Basic 1.1, i just changed it to 2.1, when i was testing the procedures ,for easy finding that rom is successfully loaded and activated  ;)
Anyway, i've restore the correct version number so now it should be ok ;-)

revaldinho

Quote from: ikonsgr on 10:39, 21 July 23Unfortunately Symbos is one of the few programrs that doesn't like the MREQ masking (that is required in order to have expansion ram on CPC464), that's why it doesn't load on CPC464. 
Does SymbOS not work on other RAM expansions on the 464 ? (Most of them also mask MREQ for external RAM writes)

R.

Prodatron

Some 464 ram expansions are limited to C4,C5,C6,C7 AFAIK.
SymbOS requires C1 and C2 as well.
Unfortunately I am not a hardware guy, so I have no idea how this is realized in hardware on 464 or 6128.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

ikonsgr

Quote from: Prodatron on 23:07, 28 July 23Some 464 ram expansions are limited to C4,C5,C6,C7 AFAIK.
SymbOS requires C1 and C2 as well.
Unfortunately I am not a hardware guy, so I have no idea how this is realized in hardware on 464 or 6128.
Since Symbos (also FutureOS, and practically any program/game/demo i've tried), works perfect with my RAM/ROM board (as well as ULIfAC too) on a CPC6128, it means that all configuration modes are implemented correctly. The problem starts only when the MREQ masking is activated