News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

External Gotek disc missing

Started by robertix, 09:20, 20 April 24

Previous topic - Next topic

robertix

Hello, I'm trying to add an Gotek FlashFloppy to my CPC6128. I connected it to the external port with the cable from hobbyretro. The drive is working and I can select a dsk file but when I try to read it I get "disc missing". Is there a problem with the Gotek, the configuration or the CPC? Wrong cable? Thanks for any hint. Robert

eto

Check the S0/S1 jumpers of the Gotek. I don't remember which one is right when connecting the Gotek externally but you can just switch them and try again. 

McArti0

Wrong jumper setting (set A instead of B). Cable in gotek upside down.
CPC 6128, Whole 6128 and Only 6128, with .....
NewPAL v3 for use all 128kB RAM by CRTC as VRAM
TYPICAL :) TV Funai 22FL532/10 with VGA-RGB-in.

robertix

Thanks for your reply. I tried S0 and S1. It doesn't work :( 

eto

Try the 34pin cable upside down. 

robertix

When I turn the cable the Gotek does not work. Display shows "Ribbon cable may be upside down?" So is there a problem with the cpc?

McArti0

eto

Quote from: McArti0 on 10:02, 22 April 24Your photo It suggest that it is a cable for 6128 plus
good catch

Quote from: robertix on 09:20, 20 April 24to my CPC6128
can you share a picture of your computer? The CPC6128 and the Plus 6128 are two similar but also quite different computers. E.g. unfortunately Amstrad decided to use a different pinout for the floppy connector of the Plus 6128 compared to the German CPC 6128. If you have bought the cable for the Plus, it won't work on a CPC 6128. They bot share the same connector but the cable must be different. 

If that's the case, the link that McArti provided shows you how the cable should be connected. It might be possible to carefully open the Centronics connector, align the cable properly and then close it again (with lots of pressure).

robertix

Thanks a lot. You're so right. My CPC is a german 6128 ... not plus :) I wasn't aware that the 6128 and the 6128 plus have a different pinlayout 🙈 But what is the exact layout? Pinning translation between different connectors (CPC-PL-9, Centronics 36pin, Floppy connector 34pin) ? ? ?

McArti0

eto

Quote from: robertix on 22:17, 22 April 24Thanks a lot. You're so right. My CPC is a german 6128 ... not plus :) I wasn't aware that the 6128 and the 6128 plus have a different pinlayout 🙈 But what is the exact layout? Pinning translation between different connectors (CPC-PL-9, Centronics 36pin, Floppy connector 34pin) ? ? ?

That was on the Wiki page that McArti already mentioned: 

Your cable currently is configured like the first connector from the left but it needs to be like the second one. 

Double check if they have aligned the red lane like in this picture or from the other side. 

robertix

:doh:  I changed the cable and it's working now  :-* thanks a lot for your fast help 🙇