ULIfAC:Usb Mass storage,WiFi, 512KB Ram/32XROM Board/256K Ram+16X Rom Board!

Started by ikonsgr, 11:39, 24 March 23

Previous topic - Next topic

Takis Kalatzis

Quote from: Takis Kalatzis on 09:49, 05 May 23
Quote from: charger73 on 12:28, 04 May 23Hi Takis

I checked the site:
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/HDCPM

Please download the ROM:
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/b/b1/Hdcpm106.dsk
Copy the HDCPM.ROM to the USB stick (root) (For example with the Filemanager in WinAPE)

Please download the Diskimages here:
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/4/4a/CPMDSK01%2602.zip
CPMDSK01.IMG
CPMDISK02.IMG
Copy them to the USB Stick  (root directory)
(you even can make a copy of the image files to 03 and 04)
On the CPC I plugged the rom in slot 9 with ¦MROM,"HDCPM.ROM",9
Activate it with ¦SW
start the CPM with ¦HDCPM

Good luck and best regards
Tobie
Hi Tobie,

While booting with  ¦HDCPM, I get the message that CPMDSK01 file is fragmented. Did you face any similar message?

Best regards,

Takis
I just tried and it says the image is not formatted...

Very, very strange...

Thanks, anyway, Tobie!

ikonsgr

Since all the above posts have to do more with HDCPM and not ULIfAC, could it be possible to "move" the discussion to HDCPM thread or even USIFAC/ULIFAC technical problems & support thread?
 I really wouldn't like this new thread about ULIfAC, to end up like the huge and practically unreadable USIfAC II thread, as the few useful posts about updates and further progress of USIfAC II project, were  lost between dozens and dozens of posts about problems and support. ::) 

ikonsgr

Quote from: Audronic on 00:08, 05 May 23Hi John
I am still awaiting an answer ?
Can you put a link to the PIC Files for the ULIFAC PLEASE
Ray
All done (to the other thread). Mind the time difference, europe is half a day apart from Australia!  ;)

Takis Kalatzis

Hello,

Two questions from my side:

1. Can I use ICD command with a directory level >1? So, if I have "Folder1/SubFolder1" under the root of the USB, is there a way I can change directory directly to "SubFolder1"? I know I can do it with two subsequent ICD calls but is there another way?

2. Is it possible to copy files from inside a .dsk image (after enabling FDC emulation) to a normal subfolder of the USB? I know you can copy the .dsk image to a floppy disk and then copy to USB, but I was wondering if there was a more "direct" way.

Congrats to John on his amazing work on ULIfAC board!

Best regards,

Takis  

ikonsgr

Quote from: Takis Kalatzis on 15:29, 10 May 231. Can I use ICD command with a directory level >1? So, if I have "Folder1/SubFolder1" under the root of the USB, is there a way I can change directory directly to "SubFolder1"? I know I can do it with two subsequent ICD calls but is there another way?
You can't do it. You need to use multiple |CD commands for each deeper subfolder. Mind also that there is a limit of 3 subfolders e.g. Folder/folder1/folder2, although i don't think anyone would ever need more levels than that  :)

Quote from: Takis Kalatzis on 15:29, 10 May 232. Is it possible to copy files from inside a .dsk image (after enabling FDC emulation) to a normal subfolder of the USB? I know you can copy the .dsk image to a floppy disk and then copy to USB, but I was wondering if there was a more "direct" way.
No,i'm afraid there is no more "direct way" for that too. The reason is that i can't have dsk image access and direct file access modes function together at the same time which is mandatory for a direct file transfer from dsk image to usb stick. Of course there is the "side way" to do it, by writing dsk image to a real disk. In any case, in order to extract one or many files from one or many dsk images, i suggest to use CPC LOAD and the included dsk image extract function which i also describe in USer's manual, it's by far, the fastest and easiest way to do it! ;)

ikonsgr

I just had a note from someone that got ULIfAC recently ,telling me that board (or more specific CH376 usb host module) works fine with usb SDcard readers too!
In fact, he told me that he had problems with usb sticks, but it worked fine using an sdcard and a usb reader for it!
Just another alternative for anyone having problems with specific usb sticks  ;)

me72_rafal

Hi guys,

For those who need one, I've designed a case for ULIFAC. You can find it in Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6035835

Best regards,
Rafal

Philippe Lardenois

Thanks a lot for the case. Printed mine, add the button to swap between 464 & 6128 and had to correct the "M" button as my version of card is an earlier one and the button is a bit more on the down/right near the PIC.

Great case anyway. 
Thanks a lot.
Phil

Vokgear

Quote from: me72_rafal on 13:08, 20 May 23Hi guys,

For those who need one, I've designed a case for ULIFAC. You can find it in Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6035835

Best regards,
Rafal

Great work, excellent! I just started to design a new case, but yours is way better. Thanks a lot! :-)
best regards
Vokgear

paradroid90

Interested in buying on of these with both ribbon cables :-)
Embrace all 8 Bits :-)

ikonsgr

We just hit 400 units sold of USIfAC II (350) and ULIfAC (50) boards!  :)

steph072

Hello,

does some have the experience of running Symbos with ULIFAC ? Thank for advice.

pgiordan

Hi everyone, 
I just bought a 464 with external DD1 / FD1. 
I would like to buy that ULIFAC, but can I plug it directl to the second connector of the ribbon cable that links the external drive to the DD1?
I'm not sure of what I need to order.
Thank you very much for your support.
Philippe 

GUNHED

No, it needs to be plugged to the expansion port, and after that you connect the DDI-1 to the expansion port too. (Drive through connector).
The first post contain links to the documentation.

Also the ULIfAC contains a MX4 connector, this can be plugged into the Mother X4 expansion backplane (google it)  or you can make an cable adaptor. Imagina a 50 pin flat cable connecting to the CPC, then there is a plug for the ULIfAC then it ends with a connector for the DDI-1.

Maybe someone with a 464 can post a picture of their setup?
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

charger73

Quote from: steph072 on 12:59, 14 June 23Hello,

does some have the experience of running Symbos with ULIFAC ? Thank for advice.
Hello
I was able to install Symbos on the ULIFAC:

1. Load the ROM's
|MROM,"sym-romA.rom",2
|MROM,"sym-romB.rom",3
|MROM,"sym-romC.rom",4
|MROM,"sym-romD.rom",8
2. Activate ROM's:
|SW
3. Mount important drive:
|MG,"SYMBOS.DSK"    (original dsk-name: "SymbOS-CPC-AppsStandard.dsk")
|FDC
4. Start Symbos
|SYM

Very impressing software  :)

Tobie
CPC6128, Ulifac, Z80 Assembler, Turbo Pascal, Comal-80, HP41, HP71B, HP75C

wolfgang

Here is my version of an ULIFAC case, specifically made for CPC464. It is intended to stay on the CPC and therefore attached to the small slots on the top back of it. All buttons (except the 464/6128 selector) are present (and illuminated) as well as a second USB connector for a direct connection to a PC.
The case is based on an older one I made for the USIFAC II in a similar way.
If anybody is interested I can provide the drawings for Autocaf Fusion 360, it can of course be modified to accept other buttons or whatever you want to improve.

ikonsgr

Finally, an UPDATE!  (rev.2) :)
Check the Video
Yes, it is what it seems, Added a Great new feature: Automatic loading of Roms upon cold booting!
On the above video you see a CPC 464 and the auto loading feature from usb stick, of all three CPC 6128 Roms (FW+BASIC1.1+AMSDOS) + 3 Rom Games (6 Roms in total)!
Now, in order to do that, i use a simple text file, named: "CONFIG.TXT", if such a file is found in root directory of the connected usb stick, then ULIfAC will try to load the roms declared in the file (if not,or if any error occurs, it will continue booting in 512K Ram mode as usual), and then reboot in dual RAM/ROM mode!
Configuration text file structure is very simple too, just lines in quotes, containing rom name and desired rom number, for example:

"OVERKOB.ROM,4"
"CH.ROM,3"
"AMSDOS.ROM,7"
(larger than one-digit rom numbers are supported too, like 10,12,13 etc)

Now, as you probably found out in the small video demonstration, low Roms are also supported, as well as upper rom 0 when low rom is enabled at the same time.
To declare a Low Rom, you place '00' after Low Rom name, and '01' for mapping upper Rom 0 in rom slot 1 (if you want to use upper Rom 0 without lower rom at the same time, you can also give a simple :"NAME.ROM,0")
The reason i use quotes in configuration file, is because i wanted to easily create such boot files directly on Amstrad CPC (although you can perfectly use a PC to create the configuration text file),using a simple BASIC program:

10 OPENOUT"config.txt"   
20 WRITE #9,"ch.rom,4"
30 WRITE #9,"overkob.ROM,3"
40 WRITE #9,"relent.rom,2"
50 WRITE #9,"os_6128.rom,00"
60 WRITE #9,"basic11.rom,01"
70 WRITE #9,"amsdos.rom,7"
100 CLOSEOUT   

The above program creates the required "Config.txt" ASCII file, and each line adds a rom. The specific example, is the one used for the creation of the config.txt file for the video demonstration (of course all roms, must exist in the root dir of the usb stick too :) ). Mind also that you can check any time your current configuration file by giving at BASIC prompt: |TYPE,"config.txt" (or: a$="config.txt":|TYPE,@a$ for CPC 464)
You can also see how you declare a low Rom ("os_6128.rom,00") and a remapped upper Rom 0 ("basic11.rom,01") at the same time.
You can download the new firmware from here.
Now, although i've tested the new fw with my CPC 464 & CPC 6128's i would really appreciate any feedback from anyone able to flash their PIC mcu (use the 6pin connector on top of the board to reflash the ULIfAC PIC, just like with USifAC II) and find out any potential problems/ bugs.
The only small annoyance i  discovered so far,is with CPC 464, after auto loading of roms, automatic reset sometime fails (Amstrad hungs up), but if you just press the Reset button, it will reboot in dual mode without problems, so no big deal ::)

p.s. and one extra minor Rev.2 update: |6128 command will not disable all roms before reboot, so now, if you use |MROM command to add extra roms and then give |6128, all extra roms will be retained along with the three CPC6128 roms.

GUNHED

Great work! And lots of work done! Congratulations!!!  :) :) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

shacpc

Quote from: ikonsgr on 18:49, 15 July 23Finally, an UPDATE!  (rev.2) :)
Check the Video
Yes, it is what it seems, Added a Great new feature: Automatic loading of Roms upon cold booting!
On the above video you see a CPC 464 and the auto loading feature from usb stick, of all three CPC 6128 Roms (FW+BASIC1.1+AMSDOS) + 3 Rom Games (6 Roms in total)!
Now, in order to do that, i use a simple text file, named: "CONFIG.TXT", if such a file is found in root directory of the connected usb stick, then ULIfAC will try to load the roms declared in the file (if not,or if any error occurs, it will continue booting in 512K Ram mode as usual), and then reboot in dual RAM/ROM mode!
Configuration text file structure is very simple too, just lines in quotes, containing rom name and desired rom number, for example:
"OVERKOB.ROM,4"
"CH.ROM,3"
"AMSDOS.ROM,7"
(larger than one-digit rom numbers are supported too, like 10,12,13 etc)
Now, as you probably found out in the small video demonstration, low Roms are also supported, as well as upper rom 0 when low rom is enabled at the same time.
To declare a Low Rom, you place '00' after Low Rom name, and '01' for mapping upper Rom 0 in rom slot 1 (if you want to use upper Rom 0 without lower rom at the same time, you can also give a simple :"NAME.ROM,0")
The reason i use quotes in configuration file, is because i wanted to easily create such boot files directly on Amstrad CPC (although you can perfectly use a PC to create the configuration text file),using a simple BASIC program:
10 OPENOUT"config.txt"    20 WRITE #9,"ch.rom,4"30 WRITE #9,"overkob.ROM,3"40 WRITE #9,"relent.rom,2"50 WRITE #9,"os_6128.rom,00"60 WRITE #9,"basic11.rom,01"70 WRITE #9,"amsdos.rom,7"100 CLOSEOUT   
The above program creates the required "Config.txt" ASCII file, and each line adds a rom. The specific example, is the one used for the creation of the config.txt file for the video demonstration (of course all roms, must exist in the root dir of the usb stick too :) ). Mind also that you can check any time your current configuration file by giving at BASIC prompt: |TYPE,"config.txt" (or: a$="config.txt":|TYPE,@a$ for CPC 464)
You can also see how you declare a low Rom ("os_6128.rom,00") and a remapped upper Rom 0 ("basic11.rom,01") at the same time.
You can download the new firmware from here.
Now, although i've tested the new fw with my CPC 464 & CPC 6128's i would really appreciate any feedback from anyone able to flash their PIC mcu (use the 6pin connector on top of the board to reflash the ULIfAC PIC, just like with USifAC II) and find out any potential problems/ bugs.
The only small annoyance i  discovered so far,is with CPC 464, after auto loading of roms, automatic reset sometime fails (Amstrad hungs up), but if you just press the Reset button, it will reboot in dual mode without problems, so no big deal ::)
p.s. and one extra minor Rev.2 update: |6128 command will not disable all roms before reboot, so now, if you use |MROM command to add extra roms and then give |6128, all extra roms will be retained along with the three CPC6128 roms.
Great work! Can we also update the USIfAC II board with this update??

shacpc

John, when I go to update ULIIfAC with the method similar to ULIIfAC II I get an error message that I attached in the image. this error message does not appear in USIfAC II. Has the flashing method changed anything compared to USIfAC II that I haven't noticed?

ikonsgr

Quote from: shacpc on 19:56, 17 July 23Great work! Can we also update the USIfAC II board with this update??
Well, let me think: loading of roms require to have extra RAM on board, USIfAC II doesn't have any,so... :)

ikonsgr

Quote from: shacpc on 20:17, 17 July 23John, when I go to update ULIIfAC with the method similar to ULIIfAC II I get an error message that I attached in the image. this error message does not appear in USIfAC II. Has the flashing method changed anything compared to USIfAC II that I haven't noticed?

Did you try to connect the 6pin connector to ULifAC the other way?

shacpc

Quote from: ikonsgr on 20:27, 17 July 23
Quote from: shacpc on 19:56, 17 July 23Great work! Can we also update the USIfAC II board with this update??
Well, let me think: loading of roms require to have extra RAM on board, USIfAC II doesn't have any,so... :)
and those of us who have two USIfAC II + 2 Memory Expansions ;) 

shacpc

Quote from: ikonsgr on 20:30, 17 July 23
Quote from: shacpc on 20:17, 17 July 23John, when I go to update ULIIfAC with the method similar to ULIIfAC II I get an error message that I attached in the image. this error message does not appear in USIfAC II. Has the flashing method changed anything compared to USIfAC II that I haven't noticed?
Did you try to connect the 6pin connector to ULifAC the other way?
No, I have connected it as always, updated, with the lights of the Pic facing the device. The case is that the device recognizes it when connected by USB. But unlike USIfAC II, I get this error message and have stopped the update.

ikonsgr

Quote from: shacpc on 20:42, 17 July 23No, I have connected it as always, updated, with the lights of the Pic facing the device. The case is that the device recognizes it when connected by USB. But unlike USIfAC II, I get this error message and have stopped the update.

This is how you should connect board with PICKIT:
You cannot view this attachment.