News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

unknown rom

Started by buzby, 20:50, 29 November 12

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Hi to all

I have had my delivery of my amdrum today and upon opening it I found this Rom

I was wondering if anybody recognises it

arnoldemu

Quote from: buzby on 20:50, 29 November 12
Hi to all

I have had my delivery of my amdrum today and upon opening it I found this Rom

I was wondering if anybody recognises it
never seen that before. I didn't know the amdrum had a rom in it.

Is it the amdrum software?

can you dump it? There are programs on the cpc that can do that.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

buzby

the amdrum hasnt got a rom in it ive checked,

the software for the amdrum is on the cassette

maybe itis just something someone has left in the box by mistake, when i took it out of its bag all of the legs were fltten down so i had to straighten them out

steve

Perhaps the seller can tell you where it came from?

robcfg

That's an interesting piece of hardware...

If you cannot dump it would you consider sending it to someone?

Bryce

I doubt it's a CPC ROM. Just some randon ROM that the previous owner had kept as a souvenir.

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 11:03, 30 November 12
I doubt it's a CPC ROM. Just some randon ROM that the previous owner had kept as a souvenir.

Bryce.
maybe it's a short version of chase hq 2 ?  :laugh:
My games. My Games

MacDeath

Lots of ROM related topics these days.  :P

Have you seen I edited a bit the ROM related pages to add categories...
Do some of you think some other ROM related pages may still be somewhat still "orphaned".

Sorry back to topic.

This is an EPROM ?

Is this sort of EPROM usable on a CPC ? what amount of memory does it hold ?
Can you burn/flash it ?
I guess so, as the sticker  implies you can "flash" it, there must be an UV window behind this.

Do you have the magnificent Bryce-RomCard (it's alwaus nice with unltra Bryce!) solution ?

perhaps there is some Amdrum application on it, the previous owner could have this on a ROMboard and put it with the Amdrum because this could be some Basic addons or whatever related to the Amdrum.

Bryce

It's an old 27128 EPROM, which means:

- Yes, there's a window behind the sticker
- It has 16K of ROM (the type normally used on a CPC)
- It's old (This type was replaced a long time ago by the 27C128 which uses less power)
- It won't work in any devices I've designed, but it would work in a standard ROMBoard such as the Rombo, or even if you put it in a DDI-1)
- there are probably 10 million other devices that this could have been taken out of.

Bryce.

Kris

Only one way to know: you have to dump the ROM or to test it onto a ramcard/megaflash card ;)

MacDeath

Have you ever heard about a destructive ROM based virus who melt the CPU and explode the monitor ?

We believe humanity got rid of it for once, but like every bad horror films, it will return and has a sequel... ;D

robcfg

Would it have any effect if you tried the rom dump in winape?  ;D

Bryce

If it's a valid CPC ROM then it would work as normal in Winape. But he owns a Rombo ROMBox, so you can check it there much easier.

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: robcfg on 23:55, 30 November 12
Would it have any effect if you tried the rom dump in winape?  ;D
Yes, there are ROMs (few though), which do NOT work with WinApe, one example is XDDOS - and that's very sad. Maybe it shall promote ParaDOS, I don't know.
But a lot of ROMs also need external hardware.

So an Emulator may be nice to take a look at it initially, but then you must move to the real machine.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

buzby

hi

im going to run the rom through my rombo rombox this weekend so we will all know if theres anything on it for the cpc

buzby

tried the rom yesterday in my rombo rombox and nothing, the 464 didnt crash and i ran all the commands and it picked all the roms up except for the one in mention,

maybe its blank ? i think i'll just put it away in a draw and forget about it for the next 20 years lol

Bryce

Even if it doesn't crash the CPC, it might still have something on it. I think you can still use the ROManager to dump it and see if anything is on the EPROM. But the fact that the CPC doesn't register it, means that it's from some other system, ie: it could be from an 80's cash register for all you know, so it's not that interesting.

Bryce.

Gryzor

YES GODAMMIT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR AN 80s CASH REGISTER ROM ALL MY LIFE!

arnoldemu

It turns the cpc into an 80's cash register?

I like.
My games. My Games

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:50, 11 December 12
YES GODAMMIT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR AN 80s CASH REGISTER ROM ALL MY LIFE!

I've a box of them here, Unfortunately they are mostly only 27C128, but I'll send you one next time.

Many of the pre-scanner cash registers were 8-bit machines, so turning your CPC into one wouldn't be that difficult, just the cash drawer and reciept printer need to be added :) (No, this is NOT my next project :D)

Bryce.

buzby

you can have the rom, free to a good home but im keeping the cash lol