News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

USB Floppy Emulator for classic systems

Started by Trotzdem, 23:45, 16 November 09

Previous topic - Next topic

ukmarkh

Top stuff... don't forget the tutorial  ;)

Bryce

As long as the original author doesn't have a problem with it, I'll add the pcb layout and tutorial when I'm finished, but I haven't even started yet.

Bryce.

CPCIak

pre-order just started by ebay member lotharek1977

khisanth

Oooo wish I had waited to spend my money on this! a lot more convenient.  Especially if you can do a mod and build it into your CPC

ukmarkh

I would buy one, but only if it came complete with the Amstrad Plus range connector.

Cholo

Just preordered. Even tho i got the usb one, the SD one must be so much more mobile (the usb cable really limits the area you can use it in).

Looks like another polish fella is selling suitable 3" (well 3,5") drive cables (uk and german ones both):
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/urban-retro/

Does the German Centronics cable work on a 6128 plus machine or are they different?

ukmarkh

The centronics cables are the same.

redbox

Quote from: ukmarkh on 15:12, 11 March 10
I would buy one, but only if it came complete with the Amstrad Plus range connector.

Do you know where you can get a Plus connector for it?  If so, I'll pre-order one.

ukmarkh

This is my problem, the last one I bought cost me £10 and I was desperate so had no choice. It took bloody ages to arrive, to the point where I nearly gave up. So I don't wanna go through that again, if someone is selling a CPC device it should at the very min come with all the flippin connectors.

Either way, I'm a CPC sucker and will probably end up buying it regardless.

redbox

Quote from: ukmarkh on 13:27, 12 March 10
This is my problem, the last one I bought cost me £10 and I was desperate so had no choice. It took bloody ages to arrive, to the point where I nearly gave up. So I don't wanna go through that again, if someone is selling a CPC device it should at the very min come with all the flippin connectors.

Where did you get the £10 one from?

I expect that the seller is either targeting the largest market (by far classic CPCs) or doesn't have a Plus himself to test it on (or both).

ukmarkh

ebay... the same guy I think that sells bootleg carts

redbox

nurgle

khisanth

Prize to you for being the first person to mention it :)

Surprised it took so long! Great book by the way  ;)

nurgle

Quote from: khisanth on 13:20, 15 March 10
Prize to you for being the first person to mention it :)

*blush*

Quote from: khisanth on 13:20, 15 March 10
Surprised it took so long! Great book by the way  ;)

Of course. One of the best books I read during the last years, and I am not ashamed to say that in a CPC forum.  ;)
Definitely recommended.

http://www.variantpress.com/books/on-the-edge

Bryce

Just reading through the HxC2001 Forum. It doesn't look like Jeff is going to release the schematics of the final version of the SD Card device (the one he's now offering for sale). On the one hand I can understand that, if he intends manufacturing it for a profit he wont want others selling it cheaper (because they don't have to cover the developement costs), but it's still a pity, because I'd like to have done my own layout that fits nicely inside the CPC (just for myself, not to produce).

I noticed the newer version has reduced the TTL logic down to a single chip compared to the prototype version. So anyone wanting to build their own has the choice of: A) Building the larger prototype version, which wont be supported by future firmware or B) Buying one and living with the fact that it doesn't fit inside the CPC.

I'm tending towards option A as I have most of the parts lying around at home.

Bryce.

CPCIak

Does anyone know which plastic case is suitable for the interface?
For example from Kemo Germany:
http://www.kemo-electronic.de/index.php?cPath=64_116_118&language=en

Gryzor

Go one myself... wonder when it'll arrive!

Now, for the cables...

nurgle

Couldn't resist either. Although I have more CPC gadgets than I can possibly use in my spare time.  ::)

Gryzor

He seems to be doing quite well :)

I wonder how many end up in CPC users' hands... though, of course, you can use it with other systems as well. I guess that for an Amiga you use a normal floppy cable? How about a c64 - is it possible?

Octoate

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:19, 20 March 10
How about a c64 - is it possible?
The C64 solutions are much simpler than a complete floppy emulator, because the C64 just uses a serial interface to connect a floppy. There are already devices which you can use, e.g. the MMC2IEC device (MM2IEC in the C64-Wiki (german)).
--

Gryzor

Quote from: Octoate on 17:16, 20 March 10
The C64 solutions are much simpler than a complete floppy emulator, because the C64 just uses a serial interface to connect a floppy. There are already devices which you can use, e.g. the MMC2IEC device (MM2IEC in the C64-Wiki (german)).

Well, maybe; I have the chance of buying an IDE64 device from a friend, but I was asking about this device here - would I be able to use it? :)