News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

USB game controllers and mice

Started by Duke, 00:30, 02 February 19

Previous topic - Next topic

Maniac

Hi Duke,

Received my Imperium Solo this morning. Have to say I'm so impressed with this. Plugged it in to my Plus with a DualShock 3 and fired up Burnin Rubber using the triggers for accelerator and brake. Actually managed a lap and a half and felt so responsive.

Excellent stuff and highly recommended as always!

Also thank you so much for sourcing the y cable/adapter specifically for the Plus!

Kind regards
Maniac

GUNHED

WoW! This is retroactive! Means shipping goes backwards in time. Tomorrow I will order and it already arrived. The main thing is: It works really well! I just used an USB mouse for testing:

https://youtu.be/emGJvcisVsI

http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

slugman

Received it also today  :D
Tested with a Xbox One controller, and that works great! using modern controller really improve the gameplay.  Also enjoyed playing Shufflepuck Café with a mouse  :) . Thanks Duke for this new great device!

George Schizas

Damn it, I was so close to making something similar by using a Raspberry Pi (obviously when the adapter has more processing power than the computer, I was doing something wrong  :)  - but I intended to do this as a prototype)

I'll be PM'ing for the next batch.

Bruce101

Hi Duke!
First of all congratulations for the good work!!!
Im a CPC enthusiats from 1986, with a CPC464 still working... I bought your WIFI / SD M4 board some time ago (maybe 2 or 3 years... I don´t remember) its a cool stuff!!!
Im interested on two usb adapters for regular CPC, is it still possible to buy them?
Thanks in advance!!!

Maniac

Having stayed up late playing with this last night I've just had thought of an idea.

If at all possible it would be really cool if the planned button mapping feature could support button sequences. For example a jump, followed by a direction then maybe something else. Would be v useful in Navy Seals for example where some of the moves are tricky to do every time!

Duke

Quote from: Bruce101 on 12:56, 19 April 19
Hi Duke!
First of all congratulations for the good work!!!
Im a CPC enthusiats from 1986, with a CPC464 still working... I bought your WIFI / SD M4 board some time ago (maybe 2 or 3 years... I don´t remember) its a cool stuff!!!
Im interested on two usb adapters for regular CPC, is it still possible to buy them?
Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks. Yes it's possible to buy them. Currently there is a lead time of some weeks.

Ordering procedure:
Send me a PM (with your email address) or an email and let me know what you need and for which computer, then I  will confirm and add you to my list.
And when it is ready, I will email you with Paypal details and ask for your shipping address.

Current pricing is:
Imperium Solo with DC Y splitter cable for regular CPC, 15 euro
Imperium Solo with DC Y splitter cable and adapter for CPC plus, 16 euro
Shipping worldwide (unregistered) up to 100 grams, 4 euro
+ Paypal fee which is 1 euro or pay as friend (but you loose the ability to make a claim to Paypal afaik. if you are not happy with the product etc, so up to you!)

Duke

Quote from: Maniac on 13:23, 19 April 19
Having stayed up late playing with this last night I've just had thought of an idea.

If at all possible it would be really cool if the planned button mapping feature could support button sequences. For example a jump, followed by a direction then maybe something else. Would be v useful in Navy Seals for example where some of the moves are tricky to do every time!
Not impossible...Record sequence, Playback.

Bruce101

Hi Duke!
You have an MP (and an email by mistake, are the same, sorry).

zhulien

Hi Duke, I am interested in this more from the mouse support point of view, how is the mouse support currently? is it there or coming soon?

Duke

Quote from: zhulien on 06:29, 21 April 19
Hi Duke, I am interested in this more from the mouse support point of view, how is the mouse support currently? is it there or coming soon?
Mouses are supported, but only as AMX mouse. I guess it's just as good or crap as existing interfaces, maybe someone who has both can tell. As I don't have AMX or  Bryce PS/2 interface.
My custom proportional  mode is not added to the release firmware, as there is no point since no software supports it.

VincentGR

As I think the mouse is working like that because the lacks of analog input, right?
What about the plus machines?
I think it has an analog port  :-X

Duke

Quote from: VincentGR on 16:33, 21 April 19
As I think the mouse is working like that because the lacks of analog input, right?
It only works like that because its how software is reading AMX mouse (as a joystick).
Proportional mouse support is easily possible through the digital port, just not with the current software support (patches needed).

LambdaMikel

Quote from: Duke on 20:56, 21 April 19
It only works like that because its how software is reading AMX mouse (as a joystick).
Proportional mouse support is easily possible through the digital port, just not with the current software support (patches needed).
I'd be interested in getting one when the next software version is out  :)

XeNoMoRPH

adapter received:

This Chinese mouse is not detected:

On my Logitech G5 mouse , symbos detects the movement of the mouse but not the buttons:

and this other wireless works fine with symbos but with lag

and this other snes usb chinese works fine too

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Duke

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 14:42, 22 April 19

This Chinese mouse is not detected:

On my Logitech G5 mouse , symbos detects the movement of the mouse but not the buttons
and this other wireless works fine with symbos but with lag
Thanks for the feedback.

If you have a linux PC, could you please try to use usbhid-dump and send me the reports, then I can add/fix your mice.
It's done like this:
sudo usbhid-dump | grep -v : | xxd -r -p | hidrd-convert -o spec >report_for_duke.txt

If you only have windows, you can use trial version of USBLyzer. But I cannot remember the steps needed and my trial has expired. Will try to install it on another windows PC soon and note the needed steps to dump the USB HID report descriptor, which is what I need.

XeNoMoRPH

Quote from: Duke on 17:45, 22 April 19
Thanks for the feedback.

If you have a linux PC, could you please try to use usbhid-dump and send me the reports, then I can add/fix your mice.
It's done like this:
sudo usbhid-dump | grep -v : | xxd -r -p | hidrd-convert -o spec >report_for_duke.txt

If you only have windows, you can use trial version of USBLyzer. But I cannot remember the steps needed and my trial has expired. Will try to install it on another windows PC soon and note the needed steps to dump the USB HID report descriptor, which is what I need.
ok , i will try  :D thx

Maniac

Just had a chance to try out a Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical and although it lights up the Imperial Solo doesn't seem to provide any output.

The mouse is PS/2 compatible and has the following USB HID information:

Device Descriptor
USB version: 1.10
Device class: 0x0 - (Defined at Interface level)
Device subclass: 0x0 - Unknown
Device protocol: 0x0 - Unknown
Control pipe max size: 8 bytes
Vendor ID: 0x45e (Microsoft Corp.)
Product ID: 0x39 (IntelliMouse Optical)
Product version: 1.21
Manufacturer: Microsoft
Product: Microsoft IntelliMouse® Optical
Serial Number: Not specified
Configurations: 1

descriptors[0] = "Configuration Descriptor"
bLength = 9
bDescriptorType = USB_CONFIGURATION_DESCRIPTOR_TYPE (2)
wTotalLength = 34
bNumInterfaces = 1
bConfigurationValue = 1
iConfiguration = 0
Reserved = 0
SupportsRemoteWakeup = 1
SelfPowered = 0
PoweredByBus = 1
MaxPower = 0x32 -> 100 mA
descriptors[1] = "Interface Descriptor"
bLength = 9
bDescriptorType = USB_INTERFACE_DESCRIPTOR_TYPE (4)
bInterfaceNumber = 0
bAlternateSetting = 0
bNumEndpoints = 1
bInterfaceClass = UsbHID (3)
bInterfaceSubClass = 1
bInterfaceProtocol = 2
iInterface = 0
descriptors[2] = "HID Descriptor"
bLength = 9
bDescriptorType = HID_HID_DESCRIPTOR_TYPE (33)
bcdHID = 1.00
bCountry = NotDefined (0)
bNumDescriptors = 1
reports = 
reports[0] = 
  bReportType = 34
  wReportLength = 72
  raw =  7, 5, 129, 3, 4... 

HID Descriptor
Usage Page: 1 (Generic Desktop Controls)
Usage: 2 (Mouse)
Collection
Usage: 1 (Pointer)
Collection
Usage Page: 9 (Buttons)
Usages (1-5): Button 1 (Primary), Button 2 (Secondary), Button 3 (Tertiary), Button 4, Button 5
Logical Minimum: 0
Logical Maximum: 1
Report Size: 1
Report Count: 5
Input: 2 (Data,Variable,Absolute,No Wrap,Linear,Preferred State,No Null Position)
Report Size: 3
Report Count: 1
Input: 1 (Constant,Array,Absolute,No Wrap,Linear,Preferred State,No Null Position)
Usage Page: 1 (Generic Desktop Controls)
Usage: 48 (Direction-X)
Usage: 49 (Direction-Y)
Usage: 56 (Wheel)
Logical Minimum: -127
Logical Maximum: 127
Report Size: 8
Report Count: 3
Input: 6 (Data,Variable,Relative,No Wrap,Linear,Preferred State,No Null Position)
End Collection
Usage Page: 255 (Vendor Specific)
Usage: 2 (Unknown)
Logical Minimum: 0
Logical Maximum: 1
Report Size: 1
Feature: 34 (Data,Variable,Absolute,No Wrap,Linear,No Preferred State,No Null Position)
Report Size: 7
Feature: 1 (Constant,Array,Absolute,No Wrap,Linear,Preferred State,No Null Position)
End Collection

XeNoMoRPH

Hi again Duke !!! , here are these two files with the information you ask me ,  these are the 2 usb mouse that I can not work properly
with USBlyzer

https://1fichier.com/?nxqylz7of98wsixoo9nr
https://1fichier.com/?jtgayabpz73jw841rnw2

Maniac

Quote from: Duke on 17:45, 22 April 19
Thanks for the feedback.

It's done like this:

I've managed to find an alternative to USBLyzer which I believe pulls out this information in Windows and remains free Free USB Analyzer Overview (https://freeusbanalyzer.com/)

Duke

Quote from: Maniac on 20:13, 22 April 19
Just had a chance to try out a Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical and although it lights up the Imperial Solo doesn't seem to provide any output.
Thanks for the report.
Checking it with my HID parser, it seems without issue.
Please notice the LED on the Imperium Solo.
When no USB device detected, it flashes: 
1 second on, 1 second off ...
When a USB device is detected it flashes:
half a second on, half a second off ...

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 21:09, 22 April 19
Hi again Duke !!! , here are these two files with the information you ask me ,  these are the 2 usb mouse that I can not work properly
with USBlyzer

https://1fichier.com/?nxqylz7of98wsixoo9nr
https://1fichier.com/?jtgayabpz73jw841rnw2
Thanks for the reports. However it seems they are identical and also passes my HID parser just fine. I wonder if this is the "main" mouse you have connected to your PC and not the report descriptor of the two troublesome mice?
Also please notice LED behaviour aswell.

Quote from: Maniac on 00:23, 23 April 19
I've managed to find an alternative to USBLyzer which I believe pulls out this information in Windows and remains free Free USB Analyzer Overview (https://freeusbanalyzer.com/)
Good find, thanks !

Maniac

Quote from: Duke on 08:27, 23 April 19
Thanks for the report.
Checking it with my HID parser, it seems without issue.
Please notice the LED on the Imperium Solo.
When no USB device detected, it flashes: 
1 second on, 1 second off ...
When a USB device is detected it flashes:
half a second on, half a second off ...
I've just checked and can confirm that both the DualShock 3 and MS IntelliMouse cause USB device detection with half a second on/half off. However only the DualShock generates any output on screen. The mouse doesn't generate anything even from the buttons I'm afraid.

Power cycled the Imperium Solo and no difference. Although one time when I plugged the mouse in after the DualShock it didn't detect it. Power cycling sorted that though.

P.S. DualShock on Art Studio is very responsive but probably wouldn't want to use it for drawing!!

Duke

Imperium Solo firmware update v1.0.1
Changes:

• Fix issue with MS mice (@Maniac)
Download:
https://www.spinpoint.org/files/ImperiumSolo_Amstrad_v101.zip

Instructions:
Unpack the file IMPERSOL.BIN to root directory of a USB stick (FAT32).
Insert it to Imperium Solo USB port and power it on. LED will be on shortly and once it starts flashing (few seconds later) firmware is updated.
Remove USB stick and insert mouse/gamepad.
File will be deleted from USB stick if succesful.

slugman

Hi Duke!
I flashed my imperium Solo with the update and it works now perfectly with MS branded mouses.  I tested successfully following Microsoft models:
.Intellimouse Explorer 3.0
.Notebook Optical Mouse
.Optical Mouse by Starck.
.Wheel Mouse Optical
.Optical Mouse blue
.Arc Touch Mouse
Probably all Microsoft models are now supported

XeNoMoRPH

Quote from: Duke on 08:27, 23 April 19
Thanks for the reports. However it seems they are identical and also passes my HID parser just fine. I wonder if this is the "main" mouse you have connected to your PC and not the report descriptor of the two troublesome mice?
Also please notice LED behaviour aswell.
Good find, thanks !
Hi Again !!! duke , this two report are about my main mouse yes ... and the other mouse that I would like to work with symbos