News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

USB Mouse Batch.

Started by Bryce, 10:22, 16 December 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Hi all,
     due to the sudden interest in the USB Mouse adapter, I will make a small batch of them over Christmas. If anyone else, (who hasn't already said so) wants one, then say it now. I need to order the parts today, otherwise I won't be building them till after Christmas.

Bryce.

This is the version I will be building. It can be used internally or externally.

robcfg

Oh, nice!

Please, count me in  :)

archcosmo

Hi Bryce

I'd be interested in getting one - but what price were you offering to sell them for?

thanks

awergh

Pretty sure I'm interested though I'm not quite sure what I'd use it for but since when has that mattered,
but would be helpful to know the price and it is powered by the monitor normally right?
I'm still waiting in hope for the Bryce ram expansion though.

Bryce

To answer some of the frequently asked questions so far:

1 - It's tiny. 33mm x 48mm x  14mm (H). So it can easily fit inside any CPC.

2 - It's plug and play with auto recognition of mouse type / amount of buttons / scroll-wheel.

3 - Yes, it needs the 5V connection. Amstrad in their infinite wisdom, decided that their Joystick port wouldn't supply 5V unlike every other computer in the universe!

4 - The 5V lead has no connector, due to everyone having different CPCs with different sized sockets and different power supplies etc. So you'll have to look after this connection yourself.

5 - Almost any standard USB mouse will work, but fancy mice with additional features will only offer the standard 3 buttons and a scroll wheel at most.

6 - No, Bluetooth mice probably won't work, but most standard RF wireless mice will.

7 - The scroll wheel is not standard AMX, because AMX didn't have a scroll wheel. The scroll wheel acts as the up/down of Joy2, so FutureOS and other AMX programs could be patched to make use of it (Hint, hint... TFM) :)

8 - The DIP switches aren't required any more since the firmware was upgraded to plug and play so they were removed, but there is still a jumper which can be removed to disable the scroll wheel.

9 - No, other USB devices can't be connected to it. (Well physically they can, but they won't work)

10 - The LED blinks once for one second to confirm mouse recognition, blinks permanently if the mouse is not compatible or broken and flickers each time the mouse sends a data packet.

11 - You can connect / disconnect / reconnect / swap the mouse at any time without needing a reset.

I hope this has answered most questions and relieved my inbox a little too :)

Bryce.

MaV

I'd like to have one as well.

This way I have one to be built into the case, and the second one for an external box.

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

HAL6128

...I'm interested too.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

Bryce

Well there goes my Christmas then :D The batch is growing to more than I expected.

@awergh: Still working hard on my RAM expansion. I want to get it to a good price / size / features before I decide on the final design. Stay tuned...

Bryce.

Ynot.zer0

Cholo

Id definately buy one as well  ;)

beaker

Quote from: Bryce on 14:40, 16 December 11
Well there goes my Christmas then :D The batch is growing to more than I expected.

Sorry Bryce, I think I am the one who originally enquired. Shall I send over a photo of myself so you can throw darts at it Christmas day?  ;D 

Cpcmaniaco

Like I said before, on the other topic.

I like one for me.

Thanks.

mr_lou

Sorry for the temporary hijack.... but I have to ask....  which Amstrad stuff will you be using this mouse with? I'm curious.
Because while it does sound neat to have a mouse, I just can't think of anywhere I would use it. FutureOS? SymbOS? What else?

deepfb

I would buy one, too :-)

Gryzor

Quote from: mr_lou on 08:13, 17 December 11
Sorry for the temporary hijack.... but I have to ask....  which Amstrad stuff will you be using this mouse with? I'm curious.
Because while it does sound neat to have a mouse, I just can't think of anywhere I would use it. FutureOS? SymbOS? What else?
Art packages, DES and the likes... maybe Op. Wolf/Thunderbolt would work, too?

RockRiver

OK, internal USB mouse conector for CPC sounds great for me... [external too]
Please add me to the list, man. Thanks!! for your work.

fatbob

I am interested in one of these as well

Gryzor

12 so far? There goes New Year's eve as well :D

SyX

Poor Bryce, he is too good person  ;D

Bryce

It's a lot more than 12 at this stage (lots were ordered over PMs) so I will have to re-think my strategy :D I only ordered parts for 15, so I will have to make them in two batches, but everyone who asked will get one.

Bryce.

P.S. The best software use of the mouse is OCP Studio and AMX Paint, which were specifically made to use an AMX mouse. FutureOS and SymbOS also support the mouse, and any other software which used the Joystick as a pointing device will work too.

MiguelSky

This AMX Mouse format is different to the Ps/2 at Symbiface II, isn't it? If it is, I want one too :)

mr_lou

Quote from: Bryce on 13:19, 17 December 11
...any other software which used the Joystick as a pointing device will work too.
Does that mean it'll help me kill off the bad guys in games like Prohibitition and Operation Wolf a lot faster?

fgbrain

QuoteIt's a lot more than 12 at this stage (lots were ordered over PMs) so I will have to re-think my strategy :D I only ordered parts for 15, so I will have to make them in two batches, but everyone who asked will get one.

if I notify other Greek people (in other forum) you might have to consider of three batches!!
what do you think? :laugh:

(I hope you will ship at chronological order -I believe I was the second who asked!)
_____

6128 (UK keyboard, Crtc type 0/2), 6128+ (UK keyboard), 3.5" and 5.25" drives, Reset switch and Digiblaster (selfmade), Inicron Romram box, Bryce Megaflash, SVideo & PS/2 mouse, , Magnum Lightgun, X-MEM, X4 Board, C4CPC, Multiface2 X4, RTC X4 and Gotek USB Floppy emulator.

Bryce

@Miguelsky: I'm not sure how the Symbiface PS/2 mouse works, but if it's not AMX compatible (ie: doesn't connect to the Joystick port) then yes, it's different.

@Mr_Lou: I doubt it. It still steps at the same speed as using a joystick, so if you were crap at those games before, then you won't be any better with a mouse :D

@fgbrain: Thanks, but let's just stick with two batches for now :)

Bryce.

MiguelSky

Quote from: Bryce on 17:57, 17 December 11@Miguelsky: I'm not sure how the Symbiface PS/2 mouse works, but if it's not AMX compatible (ie: doesn't connect to the Joystick port) then yes, it's different.
Yes, it is different. I tried Arnold emulation of AMX mouse and the arrows are drawn when moving mouse y Ready prompt (same as joystick do). The Symbiface II one types nothing. I want one of yours !! ;)