News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

USB Mouse Batch.

Started by Bryce, 10:22, 16 December 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Pin 9 is used for the scroll function on the Mouse Adapter, so you would have to make more changes to the Mouse PCB to use this as the 5V supply. You also still need a GND pin.

@MacDeath: Yes, you could add many additional features using the other Plus inputs, but my goal for this project was to produce a 100% AMX compatible interface for a modern mouse. Mainly so that it works with all original AMX software with no need for it to be patched. But I might consider a Game controller PCB later when I have time.

Bryce.

TotO

Quote from: Bryce on 11:57, 22 December 11
Pin 9 is used for the scroll function on the Mouse Adapter, so you would have to make more changes to the Mouse PCB to use this as the 5V supply. You also still need a GND pin.
OK, so the scrolls functions only work on the first joystick connector.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Bryce

The Scroll function is Joy2 Up and Down, so the Joy2 Common is needed.

Bryce.

TotO

It's what I understand.
Witch programs use this feature today?
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 09:41, 22 December 11
I'm speaking about CPC+ official schematics...

Are you sure? :laugh:

Quote from: TotO on 09:41, 22 December 11
So, please argument with an alternative picture instead of saying "wrong!".

Maybe the picture that I ALREADY posted it not enought for you? It's obvious! BOTH fire buttons (1 & 2) are connected using a diode.

::)  But ok, patience is a virtue, so just for you... :)

Take a look at the Wiki:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Connector:Digital_joystick

I hope it's clear enough now: They are fire buttons.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

At some time in the past, sometime between last year when I designed the Mouse Adapter, and yesterday when I started building some, I seem to have inadvertently deleted from my mind, the fact that these little adapters are an absolute royal pain in the arse to build! An entire day of etching, cutting, drilling, soldering and programming only produces a measly 6 devices. Because of this, I would like to ask you to be patient with the batch. It's going to take a little longer than expected.

Bryce.

Here's a picture of todays production, to keep you occupied in the meantime.

MacDeath

beaker

Please don't ruin your holidays doing this. Personally I'd be just as happy receiving mine at Easter.
What you've done looks awsome though  ;D

Bryce

Making Hardware IS my idea of enjoying my time off :) I only make them when I have the time though, I have many other things planned over Christmas too.

Bryce.

SyX

I love the Bryce's Seal of Quality :D They look as sexy as the MegaFlash  ;D

TotO

Quote from: TFM/FS on 18:59, 22 December 11Are you sure? :laugh: 
You mean I'm lying and done a fake picture...

Quote from: TFM/FS on 18:59, 22 December 11Maybe the picture that I ALREADY posted it not enought for you?
You have edited your post on a previous page to add it, so I can't view. And you don't explained why diodes are hand soldered.

So yes, after checking boards pictures, a third line need a diode too. But... finally, "we are wrong!"
Not only fire lines 6&7 or directions get diodes, but all. (on parts side of the PCB, as shown on schematics)
:-*

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 23:06, 22 December 11
You mean I'm lying and done a fake picture...
You have edited your post on a previous page to add it, so I can't view. And you don't explained why diodes are hand soldered.

So yes, after checking boards pictures, a third line need a diode too. But... finally, "we are wrong!"
Not only fire lines 6&7 or directions get diodes, but all. (on parts side of the PCB, as shown on schematics)
:-*

Ok, this is my last post about this, because it's getting really stupid. I did not change a picture in my posts, it's still there unchanged as it was.

And what you call hand soldered are the pictures from the PCBs of the Plus that you can find STRAIGHT IN THE CPC-WIKI. If you want to know why they are soldered that way: GO AND ASK AMSTRAD!!! No, I don't think that they are hand soldered!
I got two Plus at home, they looked like the pictures from the Plus in the CPC-Wiki when I got them! Now, they look even better. ;D

From the beginning I talked about the Fire buttons (directions don't matter here), and I'm fecking right with that 8)  Merry Christmas and...

- END OF LINE -
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Quote from: TFM/FS on 23:32, 22 December 11Ok, this is my last post about this, because it's getting really stupid. I did not change a picture in my posts, it's still there unchanged as it was.
I have never said you change the picture, but that you add it later...
After all, don't be annoyed, I'm just playing "your game". Cheers.

Bryce

Firstly, you're ALL correct: Yes, the diodes aren't in the Schematic. But, yes they are in every CPC+ (as far as I know). But yes, they ARE hand-soldered, but in the factory. Back then late changes were done by hand, rather than scraping and making new units, as would be the case today. Due to the fact that placement robots can't handle these situations (components on the back of the board with no defined thru-holes), they really were hand soldered. The designers were obviously forced to make this change, because the re-work would have been seriously expensive, so there must have been a really good reason, like some device that came on the market with the same plug that really would damage the CPC if connected (without the diodes). No idea what though? Maybe an Auto-fire Joystick of some sort?

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 23:40, 22 December 11
I have never said you change the picture, but that you add it later...
After all, don't be annoyed, I'm just playing "your game". Cheers.

No games man. Let's help create somethig good for CPC.
TFM of FutureSoft

beaker

It wouldn't be Christmas without a few misunderstandings....  ;D

Excuse my stupidity and hopefully I don't start it all off again but was a concensus reached  :-[ ; was activating fire 3 just a case of soldering a wire from the pin of the aforementioned chip to pin 5 of the first joystick port?

Beaker

robcfg

Gryzor

Bryce, mine can wait, don't lose any sleep over it mate...
As for production methods, back in 2002 when I was working in the Matsushita factory outside Cardiff (the factory producing Panasonic's high-end TVs and laptops) there was still lots of manual soldering work involved. Huge, ultra-modern robotic production lines too, but also U-cells of 16-yo girls soldering in stuff :)

TFM

Quote from: robcfg on 09:32, 23 December 11
Indeed  ;)

But don't forget the diode ;-) Amstrad had reasons to use diodes for Fire 1 + 2.
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

@Gryzor: It still happens on really rare occassions, but it's so expensive these days, it's only done in very extreme circumstances.

Bryce.

MacDeath

Quotebut also U-cells of 16-yo girls soldering in stuff
Yeah, those electronical factories are full of sweet young girls... a hunter's paradise.

I visited quite a few electronic-cards factories (french sub-contractor) as I used to work in a small company doing VaporPhase soldering machines/ovens (my father's company actually).

Well as many Electronical boards could simply be hybrid between Surface mounted and traditionnal components, you have to mix "IR/vapor" soldering with "leadwave" (is this the english term ?) and even manual Iron-soldering for some specific components.

Bryce

The English names are "Wave Soldering" for thru-pin stuff, "Re-flow soldering" usually for SMD and "LASER soldering" used for specific difficult situations. The problem with the diodes on the Plus is that none of these methods would work, so an army of young girls is usually the only solution (not just for this problem ;) but that's another story). Oh how I miss visiting those Hungarian/Romanian/Czech factories :(

Bryce.

Bryce

Hi All,
    I managed to get around to completing and testing the first devices this morning and fgbrain asked me if I could upload a short video of it being used. So the attached zip file shows the mouse being used in AMX Paint. The mouse used is an MS optical mouse, unfortunately it doesn't work great on a wooden surface, so the jumps you see are due to that (and my alcohol induced shaky hands :) ).

Bryce. 

SyX

I always follow the tips of the wise Stevie Wonder "If you drink, you "mouse" not drive"  ;D (only for spanish sorry XDDD)
Si bebes no conduzcas

Bryce

Ahhh, Isn't Christmas wonderful! The warm glow of a soldering iron, the soothing hiss of Copper reacting in a Sodium Sulfate tank, the smell of freshly cut FR4 PCBs, and the taste of molten lead in the air, that's what it's all about :) Who says I don't enjoy the spirit of Christmas? I even put up a Christmas tree....

Bryce.