USIfAC II:Convert a PC or USB stick to Amstrad HDD,access dsk's,and many more!

Started by ikonsgr, 09:17, 01 December 20

Previous topic - Next topic

darkhalf

Will try that out. I did leave USIFAC II at slot 5 and the other ROMs tested were at slots 1-4. The revaldino 6ROM board has spaces at slots 5-6 (but there is no ROM fitted here, and disabled)

OK tried slot 6 and 8. Still same issues with this rom board

So I've just tried something else... M4 board. With only UTOPIA ROM enabled in slot 1 and M4 etc ROM disabled and usifac slot 8. Still freeze on !cat. So it's not the actual ROM board
CPC6128, 2xCPC464, C64, A500

ikonsgr

Quote from: darkhalf on 11:49, 21 August 22Will try that out. I did leave USIFAC II at slot 5 and the other ROMs tested were at slots 1-4. The revaldino 6ROM board has spaces at slots 5-6 (but there is no ROM fitted here, and disabled)
I just remembered another member who had problems using flashgordon rom board and usifac on MX4 board.He finally resolved it by relocating usifac's rom number to 3: https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/usifac-iimake-your-pc-or-usb-stick-an-hdd-for-amstrad-access-dsk-and-many-more!/msg217380/#msg217380
Hint: Maybe usifac ii should have lower rom number than others, so it might be a good idea to relocate usifac to rom 2, and all other roms higher.

darkhalf

@ikonsgr
QuoteHint: Maybe usifac ii should have lower rom number than others, so it might be a good idea to relocate usifac to rom 2, and all other roms higher
That was it! It must be first in the ROM chain. YANCC had a similar issue, where it had to be a lower ROM slot (but not with the m4 AMSDOS work around). 

Sweet. So we can use this with other ROMs and file manager. Thanks 😊 
CPC6128, 2xCPC464, C64, A500

poulette73

Quote from: poulette73 on 23:19, 05 July 22I didn't go into details here, but I had done all long and wide tests (deleting each roms, one by one, with tries each time to find if a rom was in conflict, etc.).

In the end, even with an "empty" FlashGordon (only rom 0 for Basic and rom 7 for CPM) the problem was still present.

It was on advices of ikonsgr that I tried to find wich possible positions of USIfAC relocation.

This is only in slot 3, perfect for cohabiting with a FlashGordon (even virgin). 👍

Since then I've reloaded about ten roms in FlashGordon (low and high roms) and everything works perfectly.  :)

For FlashGordon users : despite everything, I continued to encounter problems with USIfAC even in slot 3 (or any location) when running SNA games or navigating in USB directories.

Something was messing up the USIfAC rom, even though the FlashGordon rom board was blank and just plugged in.

Of course I had tried to relocate the USIfAC rom to all possible locations between 1 and 15 with OUT &FBD2,x but the problem was not solved.

And you can't physically disable an individual slot like on old rom boards with dipswitches.

So it was the only solution : I acquired a CPC Sixrom Card on which I flashed the roms that I use most often.

And I disabled slot 3 with the dipswitch.

Everything is resolved now, no more worries about using USIfAC !  :)

And I will continue to use my FlashGordon on a second Mother X4.

GUNHED

It doesn't matter if a ROM is blank or not. The problem is that you connect two ROMs at the same slot. Try to copy the same content into both ROMs. This could help.
Clean solution: Have only one physical ROM per slot.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2022.03.09)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

poulette73

As I said: my FlashGordon rom board was completely blank ! There were absolutely no rom at the USIfAC location.

And of course I also tried to implant the USIfAC rom in FlashGordon, at the same slot rom position, on ikonsgr's suggestions.
But that didn't change anything...

The problem was even empty : something made the slot partially busy... and probably disturbs USIfAC.

After several weeks of discussions between ikonsgr and rom board designers, we have come to this conclusion.

But it's good.

Now it's solved.  8)

With another rom board allowing to physically inhibit a defined slot using a switch (in my case number 3): there's no longer any possible conflict !  ;)

GUNHED

See, that's the problem. You call in blank, but there is no such thing. If you blank it then in cantains only Bytes 0, but the other ROM on the same ROM select contains 0 and other bytes.
If the CPC reads from the ROM it gets data from both ROMs. Different data! And that causes the problem.
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

poulette73

Yes, that's exactly what I said since 3 posts.  :D

There is no rom, but this creates an allocation conflict at the same position...
That's why a hardware dipswitch is the solution.

poulette73

Many thanks to @ikonsgr and @kolleykibber !! 🙏👍

For their help on Wifi configuration needed to connect directly to the Internet and access the BBS servers from my Amstrad 6128. 

It wasn't easy but I made it.

I was even able to send myself an email from the BBS server...  :D

Audronic

Quote from: Audronic on 04:12, 20 August 22@ikonsgr

Is it possible the have the USB enabled at power up ?

Thanks

Keep Safe

Ray
BUMP
Is it possible the have the USB enabled at power up ?

Thanks
Keep Safe

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

ikonsgr

Quote from: Audronic on 04:27, 30 August 22Is it possible the have the USB enabled at power up ?
Thanks
Keep Safe
Ray
If you mean after first switch on (cold start), i'm afraid it's not possible. At first power up, USIfAC ROM is active, but nothing is enabled, either usb, direct file mode, or fdc emulation for access dsk images. But if you enable usb module once, then it should be active until power off or if it's disabled by giving again |USB.

Audronic

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

GUNHED

Sometimes (more often actually) games reset the ROMs, therefore it's important to have the most "compatible" configuration enabled by default. I think in this case it works that way.  :)

ikonsgr

Finally the revelation came out!  :D
I've also uploaded a new firmware (6f) that gives proper boot messages, and a bit better cooperation with the new RAM/ROM board.

(btw,i can't modify the 1st post to add the new firmware link...  ::)  )

shacpc

Quote from: ikonsgr on 20:34, 05 September 22Finally the revelation came out!  :D
I've also uploaded a new firmware (6f) that gives proper boot messages, and a bit better cooperation with the new RAM/ROM board.
(btw,i can't modify the 1st post to add the new firmware link...  ::)  )
updated my two usifacII, all correct.

Devlin

updated to 6f without problem, and is now operating happily :)
Amstrad fan! | CPC464 + USIfAC II | Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

vasilisk

Devlin

Quote from: vasilisk on 12:38, 16 October 22Is there a link for the updated "filemanager" ?
It's all in the Dropbox (should be a link in OP)

I'm working on an alternative, single-file file manager but i'm still working out the kinks in it - but should be more friendly to usifac2's behaviours. It's not ready yet, and might be a while until I have it as fully featured as i'd like it.
Amstrad fan! | CPC464 + USIfAC II | Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

Maitresinh

Wonderfull USIFAC !

Works fine, and it's giving a new life to an old CPC full of dust i bought many years ago 
Unfortunately, i try to plug a WIFI ESP 07, light on the CPC, made IWifi ..and get "no wifi module detected".
I'w tried various reset. The module is in UART position. Ground pin connected to Ground pin on the USIFAC

Help someone ?

My goal is to connect the CPC to the BBS, and moreover, connect it to Starkos

Maitresinh

Quote from: kolleykibber on 17:08, 26 March 21Hi @ikonsgr

I continue on my investigations with your interesting piece of kit!

I've bought a few ESP-07s and have tried them on the board. But if I call |WIFI I get 'NO WiFi module detected!'.
I have a cpc6128, the ESP-07s are switched to UART (I tried program too!).
I've tried |USB on and off, before I call |WIFI. I've used the ESP-07 reset switch, before the RSX.
If I call |WIFI a second time the system crashes.
The ESP-07 is connected correctly (GND to GND) and the lights come on and you can hear the wifi signal pulsing through the CPC's speaker.
I've tried different ESP-07s

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

in fact i've got exactly the same harder/problem

poulette73

Exactly the same problem for me with two ESP-07s modules, and one ESP-01 module.
>Flashing procedure is OK, and the firmware is correct.
>Connection to the USIfAC II works, the module's red LED lights up.
>When I type the command ùWIFI I get 'NO WiFi module detected!'.

The only one that works with my USIfAC II board is the ESP-12 module.

I really tried everything. Different software to flash, and different firmwares, without success.

If anyone has the solution for the ESP-07 and/or ESP-01 modules I'm interested.

Maitresinh

well if the ESP12 works...i think i will buy one. But first, i want to check if it's a powering problem. Mine is a generic 2A i'm using for Arduinos 3B+, but i'm adaptating a dual powering (12v/5v) from a external DD

By the way, i didn't flash anything. Do i have to ?

The other (minor) problem is the 3D printed case: forget about using it with the wifi module, even with wires on the pins. You cannot use the central screw anymore, and the module cannot fit anywhere.

WacKEDmaN

i used an ESP8266 NODEMCU dev board...(eg ESP12-E)...but ANY ESP8266 will work... 

did yas upload the required firmware to the ESP? afaik its not the standard serial to wifi bridge like in arduino ide...

i needed to download the flash tool and upload the firmware file manually.... 
both the flash tool and the firmware are on the dropbox page in a file called ESP8266_Flasher.zip 
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ezzga2dppm6jlm7/AACwFC_rv2QatWh_ndKc9fhma?dl=0

poulette73

Yes, already done, but thank you.

I have already tried this link (of course) and many others flash tool.
And many different firmware for all my ESP-12, ESP-07 and ESP-01 modules.
Each firmware different, depending on the module (sometimes 4 files versions, sometimes 1 file versions).

I spent many days on this subject. Definitively it's not a flash procedure problem.

I would like to know the feedback of a member who REALLY uses an ESP-07 / ESP-01 module, with which firmware exactly he used with a download link.

The link above works for ESP-12 module.
But not for ESP-07 and ESP-01 modules (the flash is correct, but the module is not detected by USIfAC II).