USIfAC II:Convert a PC or USB stick to Amstrad HDD,access dsk's,and many more!

Started by ikonsgr, 08:17, 01 December 20

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfgang

I got my ULIFAC today, put it on my AMSTRAD (not Schneider) CPC464 and WOW! now I have a 6128! What an upgrade! The unit works perfect (same as my former USIFAC II)!
Now I have a question: how can I boot it (in 6128 mode) into CP/M? There is this |CPM command in the 6128 but which disk image do I have to insert? 
I have various CP/M Plus disks (which will not work as I understand) and one CPM1.DSK (not sure what it is, are there any CPM 2.2 around?
(btw. I have a spare USIFAC II here which I don't need anymore, so if someone is interested . . .)

ikonsgr

Quote from: wolfgang on 18:59, 14 February 23I have various CP/M Plus disks (which will not work as I understand) and one CPM1.DSK (not sure what it is, are there any CPM 2.2 around?
(btw. I have a spare USIFAC II here which I don't need anymore, so if someone is interested . . .)
You can get the cpm 2.2 image from here
Funny thing, i manage to run cpm 2.2 on my cpc 464, even using USIfAC II and |464 command too :-)

Mark_wllms

Quote from: wolfgang on 18:59, 14 February 23Now I have a question: how can I boot it (in 6128 mode) into CP/M? There is this |CPM command in the 6128 but which disk image do I have to insert? 
I have various CP/M Plus disks (which will not work as I understand) and one CPM1.DSK (not sure what it is, are there any CPM 2.2 around?

CPM 2.2 will work fine on the USIFAC using the ¦FDC disk image and then ¦CPM. If you want to boot CPM+ though, you need to use the HDCPM utility, which allows you to have up to 4 virtual hard drives as files on your USB drive and access them natively. There is another thread on how to do this at https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/applications/hdcpm-boot-and-run-cpm-plus-from-hard-disk/

This is a much better option all round, because you don't have to worry about disk swapping any more (and you can also continue to use your physical A drive).

wolfgang

Hi,

thanks for the fast help, I tried CP/M 2.2 (thanks for the dsk image) and it works fine, even in CPC464 mode. For me that's actually enough I just wanted to look around a bit in any CP/M to see what it was like at that time.
I think CP/M Plus will not run (on a standard CPC464) but its not important for me, and maybe some time I give it a try anyway.

eto

Quote from: wolfgang on 23:11, 14 February 23I think CP/M Plus will not run (on a standard CPC464) but its not important for me, and maybe some time I give it a try anyway.
CP/M plus requires 128K. A patched version that runs on a 464 (with at least 128K) can be found here: http://www.winape.net/downloads.jsp

wolfgang

Even the patched Version of CP/M Plus does not run (blank screen after |CPM command) but as I understand from ikonsgr and former messages in this forum this is normal on a standard CPC 464 (even with the memory expansion from ULIFAC). Anyway no problem for me

d_kef

Quote from: wolfgang on 22:08, 15 February 23Even the patched Version of CP/M Plus does not run (blank screen after |CPM command) but as I understand from ikonsgr and former messages in this forum this is normal on a standard CPC 464 (even with the memory expansion from ULIFAC). Anyway no problem for me
The patched version of CP/M found in WinAPE's site still uses #C3 RAM mode so it is impossible to work on 464 without a #C3 mode compatible RAM expansion.

d_kef

d_kef

Quote from: WacKEDmaN on 14:47, 16 February 23EDIT2: ok so reflashed it again with 6d... and now im back to where i was... can only use DSKs and |464 mode.. reboot after |usb causes lockup before rom line
6d, 6e, 6f and 6g are all acting in the same manner..
My Usifac II has the same behavior. Firmware 6d is the only usable with the 464.
So it's not the socket. I tent to believe that it's the (z80 or GA)  timing or the signal levels or maybe parasitic noise, but my oscilloscope's died on me a couple of years ago so I can't prove my theory.

And regarding the pause button. It gave me a headache a couple of times believing that the PIC was broken.

d_kef

GUNHED

Seriously guys, can we please have two threads instead of this one here?

One for anything USIfAC. And one for technical problems only.

The information about this great project gets totally lost into the vast majority of technical-problems. And here is my advice to solve the technical problems all at once: Get a proper working CPC - and best: get a proper working CPC6128.

Just my friendly advice.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Prodatron

Don't know if others have this as well:
Usifac II works fine, when it's the only connected hardware expansion.
As soon as I connect something else, it isn't working properly anymore. I wasn't able to run SymbOS with the Usiface II and a memory expansion, so I could only test it with 128K so far.
What I also recognize is, that it produces a lot of noise on the bus, at least you "hear it working a lot" with the internal CPC speaker, more than it is usual with other hardware.
Maybe the only issue is, that it should suppress interferences a little bit more?

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

leexus

Quote from: andycadley on 21:23, 12 February 23
Quote from: Prodatron on 21:04, 12 February 23"Doesn't work" is a hard word. I am not sure, but wouldn't it already be ok, if the ASIC and the ram expansion isn't mapped in at the same time at #4000?
As Plus software should know about this, it could be a solution for many cases.
Yeah, but that's working around the bug and it's actually difficult to do in practice because you find yourself really wanting to use the C1/C2/C3 paging arrangements (because you want all that extra RAM for sprite data) and they're not compatible. Trying to actually use 128K and not have banked RAM and the ASIC registers paged in just cripples the machine.

Worse than that, it confuses people who plan to buy the hardware. There is quite a lot of 128K Plus software that only works with RAM expansions that are Plus compatible, so it's better not to mislead people by suggesting these devices are.
Can you send a list of those Plus related software which requests the ram expansion? I would like also test it.

Anyways, I found that ULIfAC works fine with most of the software (much better than USIfAC II and the standalone 512k RAM expansion by ikonsgr). The new 2-in-1 expansion also operating with SymbOS (but only in 320k memory mode, the 512k mode was freezing during the system disk load), but sure there are some games or scene demos, which are having some issues (graphical issues or sync problems, sometimes freezing), but its only about 10 percentage from the software which I have tried.

I think the plus is a bit tricky computer of the CPCs. I also have tested the LambdaSpeak midi interface on CPC plus for weeks without any luck, so maybe there is no 100 percentage solution for CPC PLus.
But (!) I am happy with the ULIfAC which means much more opportunities to me. Almost any kind of files can be loaded (standard Locomotive Basic codes, SNA files, DSK images, etc.). I don't know other card which can support many file formats as USIfAC II or ULIfAC.

Another addition can be, if you install a Gotek also (together with the ULIfAC or USIfAC II, there the compatibility level can be raised: the software which does not work starting from ULIfAC, I am starting / loading it from Gotek drive (HxC firmware), while I can still use the memory expansion of ULIfAC with it.

I am planning to test the M4 board of Duke which I also having since days, but I guess, there surely will be also some issues because of the specialities of the Plus. This machine needs some more special care.  :)

leexus

Quote from: Prodatron on 18:12, 16 February 23Don't know if others have this as well:
Usifac II works fine, when it's the only connected hardware expansion.
As soon as I connect something else, it isn't working properly anymore. I wasn't able to run SymbOS with the Usiface II and a memory expansion, so I could only test it with 128K so far.
What I also recognize is, that it produces a lot of noise on the bus, at least you "hear it working a lot" with the internal CPC speaker, more than it is usual with other hardware.
Maybe the only issue is, that it should suppress interferences a little bit more?
Which USIfAC II firmware version are you using currently?

Prodatron

Quote from: leexus on 18:16, 16 February 23Which USIfAC II firmware version are you using currently?
I have 6f here. Maybe I should try another one?

Quote from: leexus on 18:14, 16 February 23The new 2-in-1 expansion also operating with SymbOS (but only in 320k memory mode, the 512k mode was freezing during the system disk load)
That's good to hear! I just wonder what is the different between the two modes.
Btw, I will upload a version with Usifac II USB support later, then you could test it even with mass storage access.

leexus

Quote from: Prodatron on 18:34, 16 February 23
Quote from: leexus on 18:16, 16 February 23Which USIfAC II firmware version are you using currently?
I have 6f here. Maybe I should try another one?
Maybe should try with 6g if there were some changes on that

leexus

Quote from: Prodatron on 18:34, 16 February 23
Quote from: leexus on 18:14, 16 February 23The new 2-in-1 expansion also operating with SymbOS (but only in 320k memory mode, the 512k mode was freezing during the system disk load)
That's good to hear! I just wonder what is the different between the two modes.
Btw, I will upload a version with Usifac II USB support later, then you could test it even with mass storage access.
ULIfAC CPC6128+ test:
Symbos 3.1 in normal mode (512k RAM mode) will be freezing during the loading.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fWK5c0kr0cR2I7jmxVWfXj6bzP3fuOdp/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14ocwIPyQPdvT5gDl9J_REEIkLopNzUfF/view

Symbos 3.1 works only in |6128 (256k RAM + 16x ROM mode). Its great but only 320k RAM available if I load the Symbos from ULIfAC:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_6K08MXavB9ubcyVOWviwh0HomVGqy99/view

You can use the RAM expansion in SymbOS – due to that only in 6128 mode is working the Symbos, you can use 320k memory.
(All the 3 disks can be mounted by |MG and swap to Apps disk after loading the Symbos screen.)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mUDEiyabRbfUx3FYkA4lUrAv8ISsDd_K/view

Prodatron

Here is a version, which should detect a USIFAC II and supports the USB drive.

Please not, that currently it will only use the USIFAC II as mass storage device, when no other supported device is connected as well (SF2, X-Mass, M4Board, SF3).

It's a WIP version but should work ok on an existing installation. I wonder if you get it running with more than 128K.

You cannot view this attachment.

Prodatron

Quote from: leexus on 18:52, 16 February 23ULIfAC CPC6128+ test
Oh very interesting, thanks for this!
My firmware doesn't know |6128. I will update my board, maybe it could help.

leexus

Quote from: Prodatron on 18:57, 16 February 23
Quote from: leexus on 18:52, 16 February 23ULIfAC CPC6128+ test
Oh very interesting, thanks for this!
My firmware doesn't know |6128. I will update my board, maybe it could help.
it was on the new ULIfAC test as I wrote. 
But with my USIfAC II (fw 6f) + 512k memory expansion it was working with SymbOS 3.1.
See the photos:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17IGhMvjR8yyA2LSH8-pBYBmzz946C6G9?usp=share_link

So with ULIfAC can be used 320k RAM only in SymbOS 3.1, with USIfAC II can be used 576k RAM as total.

Anyways, how did you load the Symbos? I mapped all the 3 disks with MG command and afterall I started the first disk then when it loaded, I switched to the disk 2.

I wrote the complete sequence I used on CPC6128+:
Symbos loading is useful by using RSX commands to mount all the 2 or 3 disks of Symbos 3.1
-        |CD,"..."
-        cat
-        |MG,"symbos_disk1.dsk"
-        |MG2,"symbos_disk2.dsk"
-        |MG3,"symbos_disk3.dsk"
-        |FDC
-        reboot with Ctrl-Shift-Esc
-        cat - the machine lists the selected DSK image content
-        RUN"sym"
-        after loading the Symbos screen, push the Disk swap button to the disk 2 or disk 3 for accessing the Symbos Apps disk (control panel, apps can be only opened by this)

Prodatron

I never used the |MG commands, I am very impressed, that FDC emulation is working so good :o

In my case, I am doing |USB and boot SymbOS from a subdirectory on the USB stick.
Then the new SymbOS version is accessing the USB directly.

Can you try this as well?

leexus

Quote from: Prodatron on 19:10, 16 February 23I never used the |MG commands, I am very impressed, that FDC emulation is working so good :o

In my case, I am doing |USB and boot SymbOS from a subdirectory on the USB stick.
Then the new SymbOS version is accessing the USB directly.

Can you try this as well?
Yes I have tried to start from a subdirectory, but it was not working to me. But it works fine from the disks. Try to mount the 3 disks and start the first. It should be working fine.

Prodatron

Wow FDC emulation works fine! (I see the DSK both in drive A and B in SymbOS)
Did you try the version I uploaded to access the Ulifac USB device? Here it works fine as well, when booting from DSK.
Still only see 128K, but that's another issue.

leexus

Quote from: Prodatron on 19:21, 16 February 23Wow FDC emulation works fine! (I see the DSK both in drive A and B in SymbOS)
Did you try the version I uploaded to access the Ulifac USB device? Here it works fine as well, when booting from DSK.
Now I am not at the place, where my CPC+ is, but I will try on next week and report back to you.

Prodatron

Thanks! Both emulated FDC access and direct USB access works fine on my side, I will now try to upgrade the firmware (didn't do this before).

leexus

Quote from: Prodatron on 19:28, 16 February 23Thanks! Both emulated FDC access and direct USB access works fine on my side, I will now try to upgrade the firmware (didn't do this before).
I did the upgrade with PICKIT 3 successfully. Was not working with older boards. 

poulette73

Quote from: Prodatron on 19:21, 16 February 23Wow FDC emulation works fine! (I see the DSK both in drive A and B in SymbOS)
Yes it's great! I also use SymbOS directly from USB key on the USIfAC II too.