USIfAC II:Convert a PC or USB stick to Amstrad HDD,access dsk's,and many more!

Started by ikonsgr, 08:17, 01 December 20

Previous topic - Next topic

shacpc

Quote from: darkhalf on 01:07, 15 August 22
Quotethe solution is to launch the games with  LiliCPC for USIfAC II  with the support and collaboration of ikonsgr. In previous posts you have the information to install it on a USB and run it. The idea of loading games directly from uncompressed files "fails more than a sideshow shotgun" for multiple reasons.
What are those reasons? Was this not how USB mode was meant to function?

I prefer this over having to setup a PC for accessing files (similar to my M4). The current problem is that direct load games from folders normally with USIFAC via USB work fine, however the File Manager was not able to run some files which have no extension. It seems like something which could be probably fixed up in FM

<edit>
@Ray Post #938 has the link
https://mega.nz/folder/93pR2KiA#qlkiFakrZhSzmko65EbTWw/file/FjwFiA7b

It is a matter of taste. A lot of games need a basic loader with certain custom features for each game that the LiliCPC provides. Therefore only hack games and basic games will work from FM. In addition, the LiliCPC allows a clean memory reset and a new RUN without having to navigate through folders. It is very convenient in my opinion. The current version will probably be the definitive one due to the lack of collaboration from the community, both in cpcwiki and amstrad power telegram, because to advance we asked to contribute bugs and if someone had knowledge of programming in android an app similar to the one created in java for windows by ikonsgr. And nobody has contributed, many downloads but without the feedback that was requested in a long time work, free for everyone and made with much love.

eto

Probably a stupid question: but is there an overview what LiliCPC actually is? Information is spread across so many pages, I still don't get the gist of it.

Btw: wouldn't it be useful to us the USIFAC Wiki page to share the fundamental information there?

shacpc

Quote from: eto on 12:02, 16 August 22Probably a stupid question: but is there an overview what LiliCPC actually is? Information is spread across so many pages, I still don't get the gist of it.

Btw: wouldn't it be useful to us the USIFAC Wiki page to share the fundamental information there?

Thanks for your interest. Creating a thread on cpcwiki is something ikonsgr suggested to me some time ago. Probably, after the summer I will be able to offer something.

In principle there shouldn't be several download sources, since the "official" one is on mega from a telegram group called Amstrad Power, which makes it possible for LiliCPC to be linked to the roms. In the case of making a thread from cpcwiki with the download, it would only be LiliCPC without the roms.

LiliCPC is a pack of basic launcher programs for the romset of the amstrad cpc 464, 664 and 6128, exclusively intended for use on USIfAC II. LiliCPC is an ideal complement for those who are thinking of playing only with their cpc and without wasting time navigating through folders and with an excellent compatibility with all the games.
Traducido con DeepL https://www.deepl.com/app/?utm_source=android&utm_medium=app&utm_campaign=share-translation

Audronic

@ shacpc

The reference to " INTRO" in the PDF Means ENTER (English)
On The CPC we would need to have a way of displaying the Game Names directly
Without using a Paper chart ?

Keep Safe

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

ikonsgr

Quote from: darkhalf on 12:17, 14 August 22Thanks for checking. I'm using a 64MB USB stick (yes it is very old!) formatted to FAT just to make sure it is all good
Example game is Aaargh! attached. This comes from the CPCGamesCD_20200330.iso compilation. Many direct load games in here
As is direct load, and the main file AAARGH can be run fine from the ready prompt (run "AAARGH) but will not work from the file manager
I'm not sure if we can attach files here still?
I tried aaaargh and still loading works fine using filemanager.... ::)

darkhalf

QuoteI tried aaaargh and still loading works fine using filemanager
Is that the one from LILICPC (243 from the search) or the one I posted above?

Also I've found that USIFAC is not compatible with some roms such as Maxam, Utopia, YANCC on my ROM board. Cat crashes on USB with these enabled
CPC464/GT64, CPC464 Plus/CTM640, 2 x CPC6128/CTM644

ikonsgr

Quote from: darkhalf on 09:58, 19 August 22Is that the one from LILICPC (243 from the search) or the one I posted above?
I used the one you posted.

Quote from: darkhalf on 09:58, 19 August 22Also I've found that USIFAC is not compatible with some roms such as Maxam, Utopia, YANCC on my ROM board. Cat crashes on USB with these enabled
In order to use amsdos commands like CAT,LOAD,RUN,SAVE, calls to amsdos rom, should be "hijacked" from USIfAC to execute proper code for them. This is done using |USB or |EN commands. If amstrad crashes, then there must be some intervention from those roms in the process. You can also try to use the low level FDC emulation, instead of the default direct mode, by mounting a dsk image and giving |FDC command. That way any program on these roms, will "think" that it works with a real disk drive. Finally you can disable direct/fdc mode, by giving |DIS command and work with amsdos and the disk drive.

ikonsgr

Quote from: Audronic on 01:19, 19 August 22On The CPC we would need to have a way of displaying the Game Names directly
Without using a Paper chart ?
Quote from: eto on 12:02, 16 August 22yup i was thinking the same..it would be nice to have some program on the cpc that will load listado.txt a page at a time or something.. or something along them lines..

There is lilcpc search engine for windows to do that. And i'm afraid this can't be done on Amstrad, mainly for 2 reasons:
1) Memory restrictions. You see, when you have many thousands of "3digit code-name" pairs, and considering that most names are ~15-20characters long, you would need almost all (or even more) of the 64kb ram, just to load all the pairs on RAM  (check the size of current listado.txt file to confirm that)!  Mind also that only ~43kb is the actual available free ram!
2) Cpu speed. Applying ascii character searching on 1000's of names, would probably take much time, especially if you want to have on the fly "search uppon typing character" process, like with the windows utility.

Audronic

@ikonsgr 

Is it possible the have the USB enabled at power up ?

Thanks

Keep Safe

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

darkhalf

@ikonsgr thanks for checking.

QuoteI used the one you posted.
I think I've figured it out. When you copy the command name into LINE 1 of the program, it can be corrupted based on what is already in memory and the file name (so results may vary). 
You cannot view this attachment.
So on my machine for files with no extensions, it happens repeatedly (btw I've tried a fresh USB stick, latest FM on drop box and the AAARGH posted here)

If modify the program and have 1 ' ******************* then after running we see the second screenshot

I think the solution is to use spaces or zero out more of line 1 and that will help the RUN command work (if I use the COPY button to just copy upto the spaces that works)

QuoteIn order to use amsdos commands like CAT,LOAD,RUN,SAVE, calls to amsdos rom, should be "hijacked" from USIfAC to execute proper code for them. This is done using |USB or |EN commands. If amstrad crashes, then there must be some intervention from those roms in the process.
That is what is happening. The ROMs seem to work fine
But the USIFAC stops functioning correctly when enabled. So as you can see, I use the |USB and then the |CAT and it freezes completely

darkhalf

Update: Putting in line 1 of the FM file a ' comment with bunch of spaces after makes this work. So I can use this to navigate and execute the AA / CPC direct load games/utils/apps folders I have 

ikonsgr

Quote from: darkhalf on 07:53, 20 August 22I think I've figured it out. When you copy the command name into LINE 1 of the program, it can be corrupted based on what is already in memory and the file name (so results may vary).
So on my machine for files with no extensions, it happens repeatedly (btw I've tried a fresh USB stick, latest FM on drop box and the AAARGH posted here)
I think you used the old filemanager, where the problem occurs. Anyway, this problem easily resolves, if you add a small basic line in FM program:
235 POKE &175+i,0
This will prevent getting garbage in file name.

QuoteBut the USIFAC stops functioning correctly when enabled. So as you can see, I use the |USB and then the |CAT and it freezes completely
Did you try to remove all extra roms, and then add them one by one to find which of the roms causes the problem?

darkhalf

@ikonsgr 
QuoteI think you used the old filemanager, where the problem occurs.
I used the Dropbox link on the first page when testing.  The files in that folder don't have that line you mention.  Is there an updated version which needs uploading there then? 

QuoteDid you try to remove all extra roms, and then add them one by one to find which of the roms causes the problem?
Yeah I've built a 6rom board so can turn off each rom via dip switch.  So this test I've tried one at a time with maxam then utopia, then yancc and the !cat will freeze on each one

Also checked out lilicpc folders today and can see that  lot of work went into this, but the BAS files are primarily required for 464 users nedding the RSX parameter workarounds. However if you replace the lower ROM with 664/6128 and BASIC1.1 it kind of makes using these redundant? Anyhow FM works great now for browse and execute. Similar to using M4FE on M4 boards 

Next test was multiface save and reload. Save works but reload wasn't successful.  Everyone's a wally from the AA games list was my test. Will have to stick with gotek for multiface saves

ikonsgr

Quote from: darkhalf on 10:18, 20 August 22Is there an updated version which needs uploading there then?
I've updated the fm program in old filemanager zip file, so now it should work ok too.

ikonsgr

Quote from: WacKEDmaN on 16:09, 20 August 22yes i understand that and the pc app isnt always available...  there should be some way to load part of the file in, display it, then load in some more over writing the last page, and displaying it... search would be harder, but if names where arranged alphabetically in the file it might be possible to jump to a letter via keypress by just searching for the first name in the file that starts with that letter.. it could all be done in a looped buffer..

Well,the huge text file with code-name pairs, can only be loaded as ascii file e.g. byte by byte, meaning VERY slow loading, so even if a part of the file is loaded in ram, the loading process would be very slow too.
 Unfortunately, the sheer fact is that, amstrad cpc can't manage such big volumes of data, either in terms of process or display. So practically, apart from windows search engine, the only other feasible way to manage this huge list, is to print it out, and have the..."book" next to amstrad for quick reference :)

ikonsgr

I appreciate your entusiasm and your ideas, hope you are not dissapointed in the way of fulfilment! :)

darkhalf

@WacKEDmaN 
Quotehave you tried rebooting after giving the |USB command?.. |CAT locks up on mine too unless i reboot it first (ctrl+shift+esc or reset button on USIFAC
With maxam I get a out of memory error after soft reset and then !cat. With utopia it will fteeze

Sometimes I have to pull external power to the backplane and cpc as it will get stuck in a reset loop. I found the CPC power isn't enough (from CTM) for the USB module and it would randomly lock up. From memory running 5.2v on backplane 

TotO

@darkhalf I think the issue is the USIfAC-II conflict with ROM boards.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

darkhalf

Quote from: TotO on 02:42, 21 August 22@darkhalf I think the issue is the USIfAC-II conflict with ROM boards.
Agreed. So if using USIFAC, switch off the ROMs and then all good

ikonsgr

Quote from: darkhalf on 08:48, 21 August 22
Quote from: TotO on 02:42, 21 August 22@darkhalf I think the issue is the USIfAC-II conflict with ROM boards.
Agreed. So if using USIFAC, switch off the ROMs and then all good

Did you try to change USIFAC's rom number with OUT &FBD2,X? Maybe using a different rom would prevent conflict

darkhalf

Will try that out. I did leave USIFAC II at slot 5 and the other ROMs tested were at slots 1-4. The revaldino 6ROM board has spaces at slots 5-6 (but there is no ROM fitted here, and disabled)

OK tried slot 6 and 8. Still same issues with this rom board

So I've just tried something else... M4 board. With only UTOPIA ROM enabled in slot 1 and M4 etc ROM disabled and usifac slot 8. Still freeze on !cat. So it's not the actual ROM board

ikonsgr

Quote from: darkhalf on 09:49, 21 August 22Will try that out. I did leave USIFAC II at slot 5 and the other ROMs tested were at slots 1-4. The revaldino 6ROM board has spaces at slots 5-6 (but there is no ROM fitted here, and disabled)
I just remembered another member who had problems using flashgordon rom board and usifac on MX4 board.He finally resolved it by relocating usifac's rom number to 3: https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/usifac-iimake-your-pc-or-usb-stick-an-hdd-for-amstrad-access-dsk-and-many-more!/msg217380/#msg217380
Hint: Maybe usifac ii should have lower rom number than others, so it might be a good idea to relocate usifac to rom 2, and all other roms higher.

darkhalf

@ikonsgr
QuoteHint: Maybe usifac ii should have lower rom number than others, so it might be a good idea to relocate usifac to rom 2, and all other roms higher
That was it! It must be first in the ROM chain. YANCC had a similar issue, where it had to be a lower ROM slot (but not with the m4 AMSDOS work around). 

Sweet. So we can use this with other ROMs and file manager. Thanks 😊 

poulette73

Quote from: poulette73 on 21:19, 05 July 22I didn't go into details here, but I had done all long and wide tests (deleting each roms, one by one, with tries each time to find if a rom was in conflict, etc.).

In the end, even with an "empty" FlashGordon (only rom 0 for Basic and rom 7 for CPM) the problem was still present.

It was on advices of ikonsgr that I tried to find wich possible positions of USIfAC relocation.

This is only in slot 3, perfect for cohabiting with a FlashGordon (even virgin). 👍

Since then I've reloaded about ten roms in FlashGordon (low and high roms) and everything works perfectly.  :)

For FlashGordon users : despite everything, I continued to encounter problems with USIfAC even in slot 3 (or any location) when running SNA games or navigating in USB directories.

Something was messing up the USIfAC rom, even though the FlashGordon rom board was blank and just plugged in.

Of course I had tried to relocate the USIfAC rom to all possible locations between 1 and 15 with OUT &FBD2,x but the problem was not solved.

And you can't physically disable an individual slot like on old rom boards with dipswitches.

So it was the only solution : I acquired a CPC Sixrom Card on which I flashed the roms that I use most often.

And I disabled slot 3 with the dipswitch.

Everything is resolved now, no more worries about using USIfAC !  :)

And I will continue to use my FlashGordon on a second Mother X4.