Amstrad PCW keyboard on CPC or PC?

Started by zhulien, 20:57, 01 February 23

Previous topic - Next topic

zhulien

What is the easiest way to make an Amstrad PCW keyboard work on a CPC or PC? 

zhulien

Quote from: zhulien on 20:57, 01 February 23What is the easiest way to make an Amstrad PCW keyboard work on a CPC or PC?

I really really want this type of PCW for my CPC - I counted the keys and the CPC has 1 less key horizontally but the same vertically meaning an actual CPC keyboard might fit in this case with a small gap on left and right - I could probably live with that - then I need to think how to extend the CPC signals out the back - or perhaps convert to PC signals for use on a Just CPC - which uses a PC keyboard.

TotO

May be better to dream and wait some more years the 3D printing technology will allow to do it for our CPC without destroying this nice PCW keyboard for a dirty hack. :)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

zhulien

I'm thinking of using the shell only with a CPC keyboard inside - so no destroying, just repurposing.

robcfg

Wouldn't it be easier to build some kind of adapter?

TotO

Yes, it is probably doable to have an adapter to convert the PCW serial data to the CPC or PC.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

zhulien

It makes a perfect keyboard for those with just cpc, or trex.

PulkoMandy

I am looking to see if I can make an adapter to USB. I will let you know if I can get this working :)

robcfg

Typing on a modern computer with a PCW keyboard is something I'm really looking forward  :D

PulkoMandy

I got something working yesterday. Now I just have to make a nice circuit board for it. It connects to any computer and behaves as a standard USB keyboard.

Who wants one?

Any recommendations for mapping the PCW keys to normal keyboard ones? The USB specification has keys for CANCEL, STOP, etc but I think most modern OS won't handle these easily. And on the other hand, not having cursor keys, num lock, etc is a bit annoying. Is there a reference mapping used by emulators I should match?

robcfg

Niiiiice!

Does it work with the 8256/8512 keyboards too?

PulkoMandy

I think I don't have one for testing (or maybe I have too much stuff and I lost it?). But the protocol is the same, so it should work too.

GUNHED

For my Desktop CPC this keyboard get used...
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2022.03.09)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Richard_Lloyd

Two for me please!
It will confuse the family.......
Richard
CPC464, CPC6128, PCW8512, PCW10, BSA & NSP