USIfAC II:Convert a PC or USB stick to Amstrad HDD,access dsk's,and many more!

Started by ikonsgr, 08:17, 01 December 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Audronic

@ikonsgr

Ok have setup the second board and the same result using 3a (I am NOT having problems with version 3 √√√√)

some information using MPLAB IPE below :-

The CP=OFF Checksum is different for Version 3a ??

18f47q10 Version 3 Firmware Checksums:- shown Using MPLAB IPE

CP=OFF Checksum = CD79
Below that
Checksum = CD79

I am able to Verify this Firmware after programming √√√√. GOOD

The faulty one is below - 3a ???

18f47q10 Version 3a Firmware Checksums:-

CP=OFF Checksum = FAD0. ??? ??? ??? ??
Below that
Checksum = 13A6

I am UNABLE to Verify this Firmware after programming. XXXXX

I can write the firmware and it says verified BUT
When I do a seperate Verify Pass it FAILS (4 Chips Tested) ??? ?

Perhaps there is a concern with the File 18f47q10 Version 3a

Thanks

Keep Safe

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

ikonsgr

Yes, checksum of 3a version is CD79, but it seems that i enabled code protection when i compiled the hex file, that's why you can't verify it.
So, since previous firmware works ok, and you only have problems with 3a (when it works perfect on all Amstrads i have), the only logical thing to assume, is that somehow, your programmer+software can't handle properly code protected hex files  ::)

Audronic

@ikonsgr

Ok I don't know how to write ? Protected hex files.

Perhaps as I use the same Programmer software as what was recommended you could tell me what I have to do to write them correctly ?

I spent some hours trying to find a solution but was unable to write a working file ?

Or as an option release an UnProtected file as none of the other files that you have release are Protected ?

Thanks
Keep Safe
Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Skunkfish

Will firmware 3a work with my older (non-white) board?

I assume so, I'm planning to update the firmware and install a push button today.
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

ikonsgr

There is no actual hardware difference between the old boards and the new white one, appart from the added dsk swap button, so you can perfectly use the latest firmware with old boards too, but if you don't have the button, then all extra rsx commands for supporting multiple dsk image access will be useless  ::)

Philippe Lardenois

@ikongsgr

I just flashed the firmware with 3a version from page 1 and same problem Audronic has.
keep reseting, no access to CPC and bad Checksum.
Don't have the 3.0 firm on computer, where to download it ? or can we have the actual firm unprotected ?

Tried to reflash with the 2D and OUT &FBD2,5 is ok). so Erase, reflash with 3A and no luck...
helppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp. I mounted the Swap Button. Would like to use it.

Thanks.

ikonsgr

Ok,i just confirm the problem myself.
It seems that using pickit3 to update new firmware is causing this problem, but everything works ok, when you use PICKIT4 programmer (which i'm lately using) ::)
Anyway, i've correct the problem, and now you should be able to use the latest _3a firmware (i uploaded at 1st post) with PICKIT3 programmer too.
Sorry for the incovenience! ;)

Audronic

@ikonsgr

Well done.
I will test the 3a Update tomorrow.

Thanks for all your work on this project

Keep Safe

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Philippe Lardenois

Great, thanks. Gonna try it now and tell you if it's ok

EDIT : Ok tried it and working well. But I need to check wires on my Swap button as it doesn't swap... :P

Thanks

Philippe Lardenois

Sorry
but getting MAD with the SWAP Button
solder GND to WIFI GND connection and other to pin on the PIC.
When I press the button, it sometimes swap to next disk, sometimes jump from disk 1 to 4, and most of the time freeze the CPC or blurry the screen or send a TAPE CAT command...

What's wrong according to you ?
attached a photo of the cart. video too if interested https://1fichier.com/?u5ob5v6wlly6znwazj0s

ikonsgr

Well, it sounds like bad contact to me. I can't see form photo if you have soldered the cable to PIC's pin, but it's better to do it from the bottom of the board by soldering the cable to socket's pin. Mind also that, while button is pressed, Amstrad freezes, and also you should have dsk images mounted on at least slot 1 & another slot (2-4), in order for the swap to work.
And don't forget you can check current state by giving |SMG.

Audronic

@ikonsgr

Hi John

Well done it works well.
Tested on a CPC464, and a CPC6128.

I did not have to do an " out &fbd2,5 " ( ROM 5) on the CPC464 Only as it automatically does this to ROM 4.
Does it matter if the Interface Rom is 4 or 5 ?
Or do I just leave the default ROM 4 for version 3a

Thanks

Keep Safe
Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

ikonsgr

@Audronic, as long as there is no other device using rom 4, it doesn't make any difference.
After reflashing PIC, and according to the initial value of the EEPROM byte where the rom number is stored, it might indeed work directly, without needing to give OUT &FBD2,5 to set it.
In anycase, you could give the out command just to ensure that board gets the correct rom number, afterall, this needs to be done only once after re-flashing pic  :)

ikonsgr

I've added a small txt file which includes the |HELP text, so you can easily print all the RSX commands in a single paper for quick reference!  ;)

Audronic

@ikonsgr

I will set my systems up for your default of ROM 5 .
Thanks for the Help documentation it is appreciated.

Keep up the good work 

Keep Safe

Ray

Procrastinators Unite,

Philippe Lardenois

@ikonsgr please as I'm a total noob, what is the best GND pin that I should solder the cable for disk swap button ?
I don't want to fire the cart...
tested the button putting the GND to a metal thing and it works.
maybe my button has too much impedance or something like that...

so I prefer asking you

issalig

[SOLVED] I forgot to activate it with OUT &FBD2,5   (as described in https://www.dropbox.com/s/pymv4sbxch3psin/Updating%20the%20Firmware%20of%20USIfAC%20II%20via%20ICSP%20v1.pdf?dl=0)

Hi all, finally postal service has delivered my USIFAC (last green version I guess)
But the problem is I am getting "Unknown command" for each RSX function I call  |HELP   |CAT , ...., etc

At startup I do not get any USIFAC message, is it normal? Reset and pause button work.Votlage on + - is 4.6V which I assume is enough
I am going to clean again the expansion port contacts.

Any hint?
BR.

SkulleateR

Does it say "USIfAC II Enhanced" on Bootscreen ? if not, try a "OUT &FBD2,5" to set the rom to slot 5 and restart the USIfAC with the reset button ... worth a try

ikonsgr

Quote from: Philippe Lardenois on 15:34, 11 April 21
@ikonsgr please as I'm a total noob, what is the best GND pin that I should solder the cable for disk swap button ?
I don't want to fire the cart...
tested the button putting the GND to a metal thing and it works.
maybe my button has too much impedance or something like that...
so I prefer asking you

On my development board (it's one of the 1st pcbs i designed), i'm using the same gnd pin you used (gnd from the 4pin WiFi module connector) but i got a small cable soldered at the bottom of the board that goes to a button exactly the same as the reset button.

issalig

Hi all, I keep on exploring USIFAC2 and now I want to connect to wifi
I have selected 115200 bps with OUT &FBD1,16 and |STAT says it is like this but |WIFI gets "NO Wifi module detected!"  :( I am using an ESP-07 WIFI board with the switch in the UART position (down) and the led is ON.

I had to flash the file @kolleykibber provided, and now it is communicating BUT  SSID and PASSWD is skipped   ???  (see atached image)

Connecting to the module from the PC, it seems that firmware does not have  AT+CWJAP neither AT+CWLAP and maybe USIFAC is ignoring it and thus it is not asking for SSID/PASS

My version of AT firmware is
AT+GMR
00170901Which version are you using?

issalig

YES, my RCA conversion is horrible)

ikonsgr

You can try |COM to get a small terminal that can be used for giving AT commands. I used various v1.6 and v1.7 firmwares for esp8266 modules, either esp-01 or esp-07.

bTW, SSID and passwd is skipped, when the module is already connected to an access point (usually router's), so it directly asks for ip and port no. , and tries to connect to a TCP server (a tcp server is activated every time you run my windows utility for usifac ii, but i suppose it could work with any other tcpserver too  :) )

SkulleateR

Ok, in addition to the auto mount script from ikonsgr I wrote a little basic program that let's you easily switch between DSK images to all 4 Slots and after that just use them with the image switch button on the USIfAC II.

So, how does this work ?

First of all, put the USB Stick in your PC, open a command prompt and navigate to your directory with some DSK files in it. Once there, just do : DIR *.DSK /-N > INDEX.TXT

Be sure not to forget the "/-N" option, because we need 8+3 naming for the CPC to recognize the image files. After that just add the NC.BAS file (attached to this post) in the same directory as the INDEX.TXT !

Now put the USB Stick back into the USIfAC II , navigate to the folder where those files are and simply type RUN"NC.BAS". After you finished using the DSK images, just do a reset on USIfAC, type |USB and RUN"NC.BAS" again to change your chosen images. This is nothing fancy or well coded, it just helps to save time and typing :)

Of course you can do that for all the directories on your USB Stick if wanted. You can also edit the INDEX.TXT with any editor and put DSK files in there if you want, just be sure to stick to the 8+3 filename.

Limitations : only 60 DSK images in a folder are allowed

ikonsgr

Finally, "3rd party support" for USIfAC II  started!
Well done!  ;)
btw, if you want, we could add this in the download link of usifac ii windows utility prorgam,and why not, add a section in User's guide too!  ;)

ikonsgr

And here is the Basic utility in ascii text form:
[attach=1]
In this form, you can easily edit/view the listing from your PC and run it directly to your Amstrad!  ;)