USIfAC II:Convert a PC or USB stick to Amstrad HDD,access dsk's,and many more!

Started by ikonsgr, 08:17, 01 December 20

Previous topic - Next topic

ikonsgr

Quote from: entelle42 on 16:39, 28 June 22is the RAM/ROM board already available for ordering?
As i explained in earlier post there are still some issues wich hopefully will resolve with the final board design. I believe i will have it in a few days, and if it goes well, i will have some boards available in the next few weeks.

Quote from: entelle42 on 16:39, 28 June 22Can it be used together with an existing USIFAC II,
Ram/Rom board is designed and tested to work together with USIfAC II (and most probable with other boards like M4).

Quote from: entelle42 on 16:39, 28 June 22will there be a version which combines both units in one?
YES!  :)  There will be ideed,an "all in one" board that will combine USIfAC II and RAM/ROM board into one board PLUS added features too! For example, utlities that are currently external programs (loaded from a usb stick), will be incorporated as RSX commands (most notably Filemanager/Filesizemanager). The dual mode will support up to 16 Roms along with 256k ram, which will allow fully conversion of a CPC 464 to a CPC6128, having CPC6128 fw,basic 1.1 AND amsdos/Parados rom! I intend to offer this as a simple rsx command, in order to instantly convert your CPC464 to CPC6128 with 320k ram!  ;)
But it's a bit early  for this, as i suppose it will take a few months to have a real working board. For now, this is a small "teaser":
You cannot view this attachment.

wolfgang

entelle42

Thank you ikonsgr !! And greetings for ULIfAC 8)  :D Of course I'm in  ;)

Devlin

Quote from: WacKEDmaN on 23:39, 28 June 22ive just got my hands on a USIFAC II...
im having issues with it tho...
|stat command works and shows..

Serial Port Speed:1000000
Interface Rom Number: 5 (Rev.6d)
Direct Mode: off
765 FCD Emulation: off
USB device emulation: off
DOS emulation:PARADOS

|help loads a mode 2 screen...then instantly resets the system... NO commands work after this reset

|USB locks up the system
|gala |pacman |kgor all lock up the system (just nothin happens and system is unusable until its reset switched off and back on)

|464 sends it into a never ending bootloop
|EN throws pixels to the screen and locks up...

ive tried with both original 464 Rom...and modded BASIC 1.1.. both acting the same...

it also doesnt show "USIFAC II Enhanced" on boot...

edit: and now no command works...even after full power down and replug of USIFAC...
i dont get it!...and i dont have a programmer to reflash the PIC :(

edit2: after giving out &fbd2,5 again..its accepting commands, but still locking up (in built games, and |usb lockup, |464 bootloops forever)
still no "USIFAC II Enhanced" displaying on boot

edit3: if i send out &fbd1,51 and then check |Stat, it says USB is enabled, but |CAT doesnt work after this...
i see eto is having the same issues a few pages back
heres a vid of whats happening...
<video go snip snip>

This looks and stinks like a power issue - clean your power switch and the power jack on the back of the CPC and see if that helps?
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

Devlin

Quote from: WacKEDmaN on 11:00, 29 June 22already done... the power switch is brand new (like a month old)..and non standard...
cleaned the (as new) edge connector (this is a new board, the fingers are PERFECT)
..ive increased voltage from power supply.. up to 5.5v... (ICs showing 5.2v).. ..the power supply is showing 1.07A being pulled (1.05A without USIFAC)... the power supply can drive an overclocked raspberry pi2 perfectly fine (driving up to 3A no issue)
i could try bumping the voltage some more...but im worried ill fry something with any more voltage (the gate array is getting very warm at the higher voltage)
I notice that the USIfAC2's ROM string isn't showing up. What version firmware do you have on it?
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV

eto

It's similar but different from my case. I do get the Usifac boot message.

How can it be, that there is no boot message, but still the ROM is initialised?

I tried 2 different 464s and 3 different Usifacs,  4 different power supplies and bumped voltage up top 5.2V so the voltage at the Usifac was still 5V.

I also looked into the ROM code, but could not see anything that should the USIFAC from booting. It only happens if |USB has activated the USB.

My hypothesis would now be, that in some 464s, once USB is active, a reset won't properly reset the USIFAC and it doesn't properly respond during reboot, leading to another reset. 

GUNHED

Sorry for getting off-topic a bit. But it may be of common interest...

So, what is actually the best way to get 5,2 Volts?
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

eto

Quote from: GUNHED on 15:37, 29 June 22So, what is actually the best way to get 5,2 Volts?
1) official Raspberry power supply has 5.1V
2) The Mean Well power supplies can be adjusted to 5.2V 
3) Some Cisco power supplies provide 5.2V and 12V

GUNHED

Ah, thanks. Now I see. But how can I take a 5 Volt PSU and get it to be 5,2 Volts?
(Or did I didn't get it?). Sorry for this probably stupid question.  :picard:
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

eto

Quote from: GUNHED on 21:55, 29 June 22Ah, thanks. Now I see. But how can I take a 5 Volt PSU and get it to be 5,2 Volts?
With most power supplies you can't do that. But there are some power supplies where you can adjust the voltage.

I guess the hardware guys all have a benchtop power supply, where you can adjust the voltage and limit the current. You can see such a thing in Noels videos, when he is analysing issues. 

I don't have such a power supply, but I have a MeanWell RD50A where I can adjust the voltage at least slightly with a little screw. Of course no comparison to a benchtop power supply, but I could easily bump it up to 5.2V.

wolfgang

I made a quite unique case for my USIFAC II, as the edge connector is difficult to remove from the CPC 464 I decided to keep the USIFAC II always attached, therefore the case is inserted into the air flow openings at the top rear of the CPC:

I also installed new buttons as the ones on the board are not accessible any more, its easy as they can be soldered in parallel to the ones on the board. The one on the right (run/stop) is even illuminated when the CPC is powered.

When I will get the new ULIFAC I will make new similar case for it.

greetings

Wolfgang

If anybody is interested I can of course supply .stl and .f3d files

Fran123

Quote from: GUNHED on 21:55, 29 June 22Ah, thanks. Now I see. But how can I take a 5 Volt PSU and get it to be 5,2 Volts?
I think a 5V PSU works, the most important thing is the current is stable.

GUNHED

Sure, but having a MotherX4 with a diode, it would be awesome to have a 5,2 Volt PSU.

wolfgang

Quote from: shacpc on 06:29, 09 June 22I have made a pack of games - mostly direct load - for the USIfACC II (fw 6d). It is called LILICPC-USIfACC II Game Launcher and it consists of a replication of almost 3000 games, each one of them having an alphanumeric short code, and which are executed from a USB in FAT32 with a RUN"XXX (XXX the code of the game, without needing to put an extension.) To change the game, we simply press the RESET button of the USIfACC and write again RUN"XXX where XXX would be another code from another game, and so on. Multi-disc games are loaded by disc emulation, which means it won't run directly, disc 1 will automatically open with its file relationship and you'll need to run the launcher file (usually RUN"DISC ). To change discs, open that press the wonderful DSK CHANGE button that Ikonsgr implemented in its latest versions. The games that require the |CPM command are indicated in the list, and after emulating the disk, LILICPC will have to run the game with |CPM

It can be downloaded from the following AMSTRAD POWER telegram channel file repository. There is an instruction file in Spanish & game list in pdf.

https://mega.nz/folder/93pR2KiA#qlkiFakrZhSzmko65EbTWw/folder/pmpEiYBZ

The rar file must be unzipped directly on a USB in FAT32 (min. 2GB in size). In addition, there is a pdf with brief instructions that I will add to and a general list of games with their alphanumeric code.

I will be adding games to the pack bit by bit and improving the project as John (Ikonsgr) improves/expands USIfACC . The pack is perfectly compatible with CPC 464/664/6128. The games that need a minimum of 128K are indicated in the pdf with the list of games.

This pack has cost me six months of time, it has been necessary to go game by game testing each loading system and prioritizing direct loading, which gives such good speed results in USIfACC II. All credits to the authors of the games and to Ikonsgr, creator of USIfACC II.

shacpc /nando
Quote from: shacpc on 19:50, 16 June 22Incorporated to LiliCPC the LiliCPC Search Engine created by Ikonsgr, in addition to new games (and we already reached 3000!)

The pack is now in .7z compression format, because the .RAR has had problems.

All credits and thanks to the creators of the games and to @ikonsgr, creator of USIfACC II

Hi shacpc,

I downloaded LILICPC last version (7z format) but it does not work in my CPC464.
After any RUN command I always get the message "File altready open".
I don't know which Firmware Version I have in my USIFAC II (bought it december last year), could it have to do with the problem? I ordered a PIC kit programmer already and will upgrade my USIFAC when I get it.
What do you think can be wrong?

Greetings

Wolfgang

Fran123

Quote from: GUNHED on 17:47, 30 June 22Sure, but having a MotherX4 with a diode, it would be awesome to have a 5,2 Volt PSU.
I don't have any MX4, but it's possible that the diode and a resistor should be in parallel

shacpc

Quote from: wolfgang on 18:01, 30 June 22
Quote from: shacpc on 06:29, 09 June 22I have made a pack of games - mostly direct load - for the USIfACC II (fw 6d). It is called LILICPC-USIfACC II Game Launcher and it consists of a replication of almost 3000 games, each one of them having an alphanumeric short code, and which are executed from a USB in FAT32 with a RUN"XXX (XXX the code of the game, without needing to put an extension.) To change the game, we simply press the RESET button of the USIfACC and write again RUN"XXX where XXX would be another code from another game, and so on. Multi-disc games are loaded by disc emulation, which means it won't run directly, disc 1 will automatically open with its file relationship and you'll need to run the launcher file (usually RUN"DISC ). To change discs, open that press the wonderful DSK CHANGE button that Ikonsgr implemented in its latest versions. The games that require the |CPM command are indicated in the list, and after emulating the disk, LILICPC will have to run the game with |CPM
It can be downloaded from the following AMSTRAD POWER telegram channel file repository. There is an instruction file in Spanish & game list in pdf.
The rar file must be unzipped directly on a USB in FAT32 (min. 2GB in size). In addition, there is a pdf with brief instructions that I will add to and a general list of games with their alphanumeric code.
I will be adding games to the pack bit by bit and improving the project as John (Ikonsgr) improves/expands USIfACC . The pack is perfectly compatible with CPC 464/664/6128. The games that need a minimum of 128K are indicated in the pdf with the list of games.
This pack has cost me six months of time, it has been necessary to go game by game testing each loading system and prioritizing direct loading, which gives such good speed results in USIfACC II. All credits to the authors of the games and to Ikonsgr, creator of USIfACC II.
shacpc /nando
Quote from: shacpc on 19:50, 16 June 22Incorporated to LiliCPC the LiliCPC Search Engine created by Ikonsgr, in addition to new games (and we already reached 3000!)
The pack is now in .7z compression format, because the .RAR has had problems.
All credits and thanks to the creators of the games and to @ikonsgr, creator of USIfACC II

Hi shacpc,
I downloaded LILICPC last version (7z format) but it does not work in my CPC464.
After any RUN command I always get the message "File altready open".
I don't know which Firmware Version I have in my USIFAC II (bought it december last year), could it have to do with the problem? I ordered a PIC kit programmer already and will upgrade my USIFAC when I get it.
What do you think can be wrong?
Greetings
Wolfgang
Although I only ensure its correct operation with the latest 6D firm, the message that you get is strange. make sure that the USB is in FAT32 and unzip the contents of the USIFAC_II_CARGA_DIRECTA folder in the USB root. The same error is that you place the folder USIFAC_II_CARGA_DIRECTA in the root and no, it is the content that you must put in the USB.

eto

Quote from: wolfgang on 18:01, 30 June 22After any RUN command I always get the message "File altready open".
I think I had this problem too at one point. It was fixed with a firmware update. 

wolfgang

The USB stick is formatted with FAT32 and I tried with 2 different USB sticks, I did copy the content in the sticks root directory, not the folder.

Thanks anyway for your reply, I will try again when I have upgraded the USIFAC II to the latest firmware, could be the problem as eto just mentioned.

shacpc

Quote from: wolfgang on 19:53, 30 June 22The USB stick is formatted with FAT32 and I tried with 2 different USB sticks, I did copy the content in the sticks root directory, not the folder.
Thanks anyway for your reply, I will try again when I have upgraded the USIFAC II to the latest firmware, could be the problem as eto just mentioned.
Precisely the "basic" structure of LILICPC is like this to ensure the greatest compatibility of USIFAC devices (past and future) and because 100x100 games work perfectly with this launcher system and ease of use for any user, because I do not plan give support and for that reason I decided to include this "plus" for usifac in this cpcwiki post, which ikonsgr has kindly allowed.

In the beginning, the idea about LILICPC was to create a menu system with a basic program, but there were occasional failures in the execution of games and in the reset and it also prevented the enormous amount of games that can now be played with LILICPC.

When ikonsgr launches the ULIFAC I will publish in this post a new update with 1000 more games and with a much more optimized LILICPC.

As I always say, all credits and thanks from LILICPC to the creator of USIFAC Ikonsgr and to the authors of the games.

caver99

the extra commands for the USIfAC II that are loaded from usb but are being looked at putting to rsx could they bee added to a rom for use with current interfaces.

and the interface is great by the way 

ikonsgr

@WacKEDmaN, i reupload fw 6d, now it should work ok (for  some unknown reason,i've tried to program PIC using the previous uploaded fw 6d, and i also got strange behavior with my cpc464) . Btw, i have another "unofficial" fw (6e) version, which has some minor optimizations and changes in boot messages in order to work better along with ram/rom board (mainly show correct boot messages in all modes).

ikonsgr

Quote from: WacKEDmaN on 12:43, 01 July 22thanks ikonsgr...
unfortunatly i dont have a PIC programmer...
it would be nice if these could be updated over serial or the usb.. maybe something for the future..
pm sent!  ;)

Devlin

Quote from: WacKEDmaN on 12:43, 01 July 22thanks ikonsgr...
unfortunatly i dont have a PIC programmer...
it would be nice if these could be updated over serial or the usb.. maybe something for the future..
It might be a good idea to find out if you have any "hack spaces" local to you - they're usually quite chill and might be able to help you get your u2 updated.

ikonsgr

Quote from: WacKEDmaN on 09:02, 02 July 22i have tried another ribbon and connector from a lower rom board (that works perfectly fine)
the cpc464 board im using is a new replica board.. the fingers on the edge connector are quite nice...(and ive cleaned them 3 times now!)
im starting to think..my board "may" have slightly longer traces or impedances that are throwing off the timing...
..a few little things ive noticed...
there is a through hole resistor on the back of this board.. i cant see any resistors on any of pics of the boards or the schematic in this thread.. is it supposed to be there?! (1.2Kohm)
also there seems to be a SMD capacitor missing (C6) on the USB module.. ..but that "shouldnt" be causing any issues tho...
Ok,i think we found te root of the problem. The back of the board should be like this:

The smal signal 1N4148 diode should be placed if you had a previous than 6d fw version, otherwise reset button will reset amstrad but not USIfAC board. Let me explain:
 Until fw version 6c, i used MCLR "master clear" pin of PIC mcu to "hardware reset" PIC. But having MCLR active, is a potential "threat" for an accidental damage/erase of pic program under sertain (but rare) circumstances. I've also discover that in some cases, specific Z80 cpu's (combined with state of Amstrad board/edge connector), might not hold BUS RESET signal (that resets Z80 and I/O chip) high enough for USIfAC board to reset properly (that's why i've added the pullup resistor shown in your board's photo), resulting in
 the ubsence of "boot message" and of course a non working board. In order to fix this, i disable the hardware reset using MCLR pin,and add a small diode as shown in photo along with a small "reset code" into PIC's firmware.

ikonsgr

Quote from: WacKEDmaN on 09:02, 02 July 22i have tried another ribbon and connector from a lower rom board (that works perfectly fine)
the cpc464 board im using is a new replica board.. the fingers on the edge connector are quite nice...(and ive cleaned them 3 times now!)
im starting to think..my board "may" have slightly longer traces or impedances that are throwing off the timing...
..a few little things ive noticed...
there is a through hole resistor on the back of this board.. i cant see any resistors on any of pics of the boards or the schematic in this thread.. is it supposed to be there?! (1.2Kohm)
also there seems to be a SMD capacitor missing (C6) on the USB module.. ..but that "shouldnt" be causing any issues tho...
Ok,i think we found tte root of the problem. The back of the board should be like this:

The small signal 1N4148 diode should be placed if you had ONLY 6d fw version, if not, reset button will reset amstrad but not USIfAC with fw 6d. Let me explain:
 Until fw version 6c, i used MCLR "master clear" pin of PIC mcu to "hardware reset" PIC. But having MCLR active, is a potential "threat" for an accidental damage/erase of pic program under sertain (but rare) circumstances. I've also discover that in some cases, specific Z80 cpu's (combined with state of Amstrad board/edge connector), might not hold BUS RESET signal (that resets Z80 and I/O chip) high enough for USIfAC board to reset properly (that's why i've added the pullup resistor shown in your board's photo), resulting in  the ubsence of "boot message" and of course a non working board. In order to fix this, i disable the hardware reset using MCLR pin,and add a small diode as shown in photo along with a small "reset code" into PIC's firmware.
As i already explained, this is a modification needed ONLY with 6d firmware, although the only "problem" if you don't place the diode is that USIfAC will not reset after pressing rst button.