USIfAC II:Convert a PC or USB stick to Amstrad HDD,access dsk's,and many more!

Started by ikonsgr, 08:17, 01 December 20

Previous topic - Next topic

ikonsgr

Quote from: WacKEDmaN on 09:35, 02 July 22right...so i should remove the resistor, and put the 1N4148 in as shown?
For using latest 6d fw, yes. Although it's rather strange that your brand new CPC464 replica board doesn't work right with fw 6c and the pull up resistor...  ::)
Can you measure the voltage on PIC's MCLR pin (it's the pin that resistor goes)? If it's lower than ~3,5 volt this can cause problems with board

ikonsgr

Quote from: WacKEDmaN on 09:43, 02 July 22it had 6d on it when i got it...
i found you firmware repo.. and just flashed 5a..but just got a yellow screen!..
ill reflash 6d and do these hardware changes (i hope ive got a spare 1N4148 handy!) and see how it goes...
Even better, use the unofficial 6e fw  ;)

ikonsgr

Hmmm, that's really very weird indeed.... Try to re-solder the pull-up resistor again (along with diode) and see if that helps. 
Btw,i see that you have another Edge connector ribbon cable, did you try to replace the ribbon cables?

ikonsgr

Yes, diode should be placed under dsk swap button. But even without the diode, Amstrad CPC464 should boot normally (actually it should boot twice on cold start)
 Anyway,from what you describe, it seems there might be signal problems with this replica board and USIfAC board. It reminds me the same erratic behavior with previous versions of RAM/ROM board, where the added length of signal traces, caused problems because of the 1oz copper thickness and relative thin traces. When i used 2oz copper thickness and wider trace widths (especially for 5v & gnd), most problems resolved. Maybe something similar happens with this replica board...  ::)

ikonsgr

One last thing:i remember that some people had problems flashing PIC using PICKIT3, when hex file was code protected, so try this unprotected file and see if it works:
You cannot view this attachment.

wolfgang

Quote from: shacpc on 21:16, 30 June 22
Quote from: wolfgang on 19:53, 30 June 22The USB stick is formatted with FAT32 and I tried with 2 different USB sticks, I did copy the content in the sticks root directory, not the folder.
Thanks anyway for your reply, I will try again when I have upgraded the USIFAC II to the latest firmware, could be the problem as eto just mentioned.
Precisely the "basic" structure of LILICPC is like this to ensure the greatest compatibility of USIFAC devices (past and future) and because 100x100 games work perfectly with this launcher system and ease of use for any user, because I do not plan give support and for that reason I decided to include this "plus" for usifac in this cpcwiki post, which ikonsgr has kindly allowed.

In the beginning, the idea about LILICPC was to create a menu system with a basic program, but there were occasional failures in the execution of games and in the reset and it also prevented the enormous amount of games that can now be played with LILICPC.

When ikonsgr launches the ULIFAC I will publish in this post a new update with 1000 more games and with a much more optimized LILICPC.

As I always say, all credits and thanks from LILICPC to the creator of USIFAC Ikonsgr and to the authors of the games.

Hi,

I got m,y PIC programmer and updated the USIFAC to Version 6d, the RUN"xxx now works.
Only thing is it works only once, after resetting USIFAC II another RUN"xxx command gives "File not found", so I have to switch OFF/ON the CPC464.

Anyway the effort of resetting USIFAC or OFF/ON the CPC is nearly the same, so I think its not worth to put more effort on it.

LILICPC is actually a very nice collection, many thanks for your work, as well as to ikonsgr for the fantastic USIFAC II.

Greetings

Wolfgang

ikonsgr

Quote from: wolfgang on 21:39, 02 July 22I got m,y PIC programmer and updated the USIFAC to Version 6d, the RUN"xxx now works.
Only thing is it works only once, after resetting USIFAC II another RUN"xxx command gives "File not found", so I have to switch OFF/ON the CPC464.
Anyway the effort of reseting USIFAC or OFF/ON the CPC is nearly the same, so I think its not worth to put more effort on it.
LILICPC is actually a very nice collection, many thanks for your work, as well as to ikonsgr for the fantastic USIFAC II.
Greetings
Wolfgang
Most probably, "return to root directory" is disabled, so after reset, it remains to last directory used, thus you get "file not found". You can easily change this,by giving OUT &FBD1,66 to enable or OUT &FBD1,65 to disable (note also that board will "Remember" your choice), and check current status with |STAT.
Alternatively you can just give |CDR after reset and return to root directory  ;)

GUNHED

Oh, that's a really nasty bug. Hope that someone will find out what's going wrong and fix it one day. Guess its was long and hard work to find out what was found out.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

poulette73

For information, I found it amusing to do loading tests according to the type of support.  :D

AMSTRAD Comparative table

USIfAC II Direct Mode is amazing !!  :o

I will be curious to also test the Wifi access when I receive the module.

[EDIT] For testing, I started the timer when I hit the ENTER key, and stopped it when the game menu was displayed.
But for Sorcery in USIfAC II Direct access mode it's not representative, because the total time includes : loading time + software decompression time.

Devlin

Quote from: WacKEDmaN on 02:58, 07 July 22looks like my replica board is incompatible with the USIFAC II
ive just finished testing it on an original 464...and it worked fine... (6e..without the diode! just the resistor..and with the same power supply)

i also tested a DDI5 on the replica board and it works fine...

there is something about the USIFAC II that the replica board really doesnt like :(

is anyone using the USIFAC on a Version 1 board? (PT No 270100, MC0001A with slashed zeros?!...not the Z70100!) which my replica was based off..

Version 1 yes, but mine is an OG Z70100 not the MC0001A
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

ikonsgr

Quote from: Devlin on 08:50, 07 July 22Version 1 yes, but mine is an OG Z70100 not the MC0001A
So, does USIfAC II works with your CPC464 replica?

Devlin

Quote from: WacKEDmaN on 11:06, 07 July 22
Quote from: ikonsgr on 10:17, 07 July 22
Quote from: Devlin on 08:50, 07 July 22Version 1 yes, but mine is an OG Z70100 not the MC0001A
So, does USIfAC II works with your CPC464 replica?
seems Devlin is using an original 464...not a replica and the Z70100 not the 270100 (mine has a 2 not a Z!) as can been seen on the mainboard versions page..

eg
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/c/ca/CPC464_270100_Grimware_crop.jpg <the board my replica is based off
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/6/60/CPC464_Z70100_Tomdalby.jpg < Devlins board
I am indeed using an original CPC464 - not a replica.
Yep, that's the one - although I believe mine is even slightly different to that, as mine has no components with that white tubing on it, and the heat-sink (now replaced) is a full square of metal with the wee tabs and no cut-outs on it.
It might be worth prodding Bryce or someone in the know as to why it might be occurring.
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV

eto

I guess it's save to say, that the USIFAC has issues with some 464s. It's totally unclear though, if there is a common factor behind it or if there are several issued that can cause this. I doubt it's just bad luck as I had 2 different 464s with exactly the same behaviour.

If there is any way to help with debugging this, I would be happy to do so. 

eto

Quote from: WacKEDmaN on 13:56, 07 July 22im not sure where to go from here to debug it..
that was more towards iconsgr ;-) he might have an idea what to test next. And since I have a non-working CPC/Usifac combination, I would be happy to help with some tests.

Quote from: WacKEDmaN on 13:56, 07 July 22when i use the 1.1 ROM (patched to show 64k on boot) with the usifac it will actually boot...BUT..the screen gets all screwed up (like the CRTC timings are being messed with).. it gets to Ready and cursor, but no ROM string, and trying to use the RSX commands, it will either just lock up or throw a few random pixels on the screen and then lockup!
If I am not mistaken, the USIFAC uses the firmware contents to check if it's a 464. Not sure if it's initialized correctly with the 1.1 firmware. 

ikonsgr

Well,i believe that the root of the problem might has to do with the handling of ready signal from USIfAC.
When USIfAC is activated, a PIC's pin (the output of the master Configurable Logic Cell) goes to gnd, and through a diode to READY signal. This suppress the READY pulse from Gate Array chip, and practically freeze Amstrad, exactly like when you press the pause switch. This method seemed to work on all Amstrad CPC's i've tried (~10 different Amstrad's both CPC 6128 and CPC464), but for some reason it might not work on specific Amstrads.
One thing i don't know for sure, is if USIfAC works ok with older 40007 GA chip, for example my CPC 464 has the newer 40010 chip installed, and a couple of other CPC464 i've tried i don't know what GA chip had.
So, first, anyone with this kind of wierd erratic problems on CPC464, can check what GA chip is installed.
Then,you might experiment with 10k pull-up or pull-down resistors on either READY signal (pins in green circle), or master CLC output (pins in Red circle).
For a "deeper" analysis, if someone has an oscilloscope can check Amstrad's READY signal with USIfac on board.

Devlin

Quote from: ikonsgr on 10:11, 08 July 22Well,i believe that the root of the problem might has to do with the handling of ready signal from USIfAC.
When USIfAC is activated, a PIC's pin (the output of the master Configurable Logic Cell) goes to gnd, and through a diode to READY signal. This suppress the READY pulse from Gate Array chip, and practically freeze Amstrad, exactly like when you press the pause switch. This method seemed to work on all Amstrad CPC's i've tried (~10 different Amstrad's both CPC 6128 and CPC464), but for some reason it might not work on specific Amstrads.
One thing i don't know for sure, is if USIfAC works ok with older 40007 GA chip, for example my CPC 464 has the newer 40010 chip installed, and a couple of other CPC464 i've tried i don't know what GA chip had.
So, first, anyone with this kind of wierd erratic problems on CPC464, can check what GA chip is installed.
Then,you might experiment with 10k pull-up or pull-down resistors on either READY signal (pins in green circle), or master CLC output (pins in Red circle).
For a "deeper" analysis, if someone has an oscilloscope can check Amstrad's READY signal with USIfac on board.
I have a 40007 in my 464 and have no issues with 6d fw

eto

Quote from: ikonsgr on 10:11, 08 July 22So, first, anyone with this kind of wierd erratic problems on CPC464, can check what GA chip is installed.
will do on Monday. 

does the big red circle with the diode have a meaning for this task?

ikonsgr

Quote from: eto on 19:17, 08 July 22does the big red circle with the diode have a meaning for this task?

Nope,i just used a previous photo of board's back :-)

eto

I have just realised that there is now a diode but no longer the pull-up resistor. Should I remove the resistor and add the diode? Or does it depend on the firmware, which modification is required? The comments on the previous page are a bit confusing, and I would prefer to have the right modification applied before doing further tests. 

Maybe a suggestion: hardware modifications could be documented in the first post, like the firmware updates. 

ikonsgr

Afaik, absolute maximum voltage ratings for 74LSxx chips is 7volts. Although it's a bit dangerous to work Amstrad on over 6volts, as heat dissipation of the large chips (GA,765FDC,Z80,8255) is raised exponentially with overvoltage. But i suppose if you place heatsinks you can work Amstrad rather safe. Ofcourse as we are talking for a new replica board with new ic's, they should be much more durable to... "stress", than a ~35 years old amstrad  :)
Anyway, i believe that overvoltage seems to counteract the problem of the internal resistance of traces (especially for gnd and 5v supply) noted before.
Now, about the non-respond behavior of the windows utility, this usually happens with wifi connection, unfortunately tcp/ip server is a bit  quirky with connections. But with serial connection, if you don't get a respond, you can just select another function (like terminal) and then reselect direct mode, this usually  resolve the problem. (note that for usb2serial cable adapter, you DONT connect the 5v pin to USIfAC's 4pin uart port, as adapter is powered from usb port)

Btw, i receive the new revised boards for RAM/ROM board, stability and general board behavior improved, so i believe i will have some available pretty soon ;-)

ikonsgr

Quote from: eto on 11:09, 13 July 22I have just realised that there is now a diode but no longer the pull-up resistor. Should I remove the resistor and add the diode? Or does it depend on the firmware, which modification is required? The comments on the previous page are a bit confusing, and I would prefer to have the right modification applied before doing further tests.
Maybe a suggestion: hardware modifications could be documented in the first post, like the firmware updates.
If you have a new firmware (6c,6d) you should use only the diode, in order for the dsk swap button to function correctly. With Boards with older firmware, diode have no effect, but you can try to place the pull up resistor if you have booting problems with USIfAC.

eto

Quote from: ikonsgr on 20:53, 14 July 22If you have a new firmware (6c,6d) you should use only the diode, in order for the dsk swap button to function correctly. With Boards with older firmware, diode have no effect, but you can try to place the pull up resistor if you have booting problems with USIfAC.
So with 6d, I should remove the resistor and add the diode?

ikonsgr

Quote from: eto on 21:04, 14 July 22
Quote from: ikonsgr on 20:53, 14 July 22If you have a new firmware (6c,6d) you should use only the diode, in order for the dsk swap button to function correctly. With Boards with older firmware, diode have no effect, but you can try to place the pull up resistor if you have booting problems with USIfAC.
So with 6d, I should remove the resistor and add the diode?
Yes, but as i explained, with new firmware, diode only has to do with the function of dsk swap button. Only with older firmwares, the pull up resistor might help with booting problems.

ikonsgr

I've just tried the utility (win7/64bit) with a usb2serial cable and it works fine. In direct mode, i can switch off/on amstrad without problem. What windows do you use?
Anyway,why you need to switch off and on amstrad, when you have the reset button?  :) 

ikonsgr

Quote from: WacKEDmaN on 18:59, 15 July 22also in the serial communication utility...
I can not change the Host IP wifi setting or port... i can select the text, but cannot delete or change it...its stuck on 10.0.0.2, i need 192.168.0.116

You can only change port number, the ip is determined by windows and it should be the local ip of your PC.
Btw, you shouldn't have problems reseting USIfAC from |464 mode, so maybe you should place back the diode  :)