News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
S

Using CPC6128 as RS232 serial Terminal

Started by Seb, 14:29, 14 September 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Seb

hi all, thanks for this great site.
I would like to use my old CPC as a serial terminal (for linux serial console for example). I project to use a RS232 extension board but I don't know which one to choose. I would also like the CPC to start in "terminal mode" without having to load a software from diskette (loading the software from eeprom or whatever would be nice).

Thank you for your help.
Seb

nurgle

The best serial interface is the CPC booster. However I am not sure if you can still buy one.

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/CPC_Booster

TFM

Quote from: Seb on 14:29, 14 September 10
hi all, thanks for this great site.
I would like to use my old CPC as a serial terminal (for linux serial console for example). I project to use a RS232 extension board but I don't know which one to choose. I would also like the CPC to start in "terminal mode" without having to load a software from diskette (loading the software from eeprom or whatever would be nice).

Thank you for your help.
Seb

Well, depends on the terminal emulation you like to have.

If you like to do your own software, then the CPC Booster is best. It already has a terminal program, but I don't know it's specs now.

Else the original Amstad serial interface is the thing of choice, since it is supported by CP/M and it has a VT52 Emulation (if I remember correctly... ).

You can put everything (even CP/M) in EPROM and configure an autoboot. But you will need a ROM Box or similar expansion.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

redbox

Quote from: nurgle on 20:42, 14 September 10
The best serial interface is the CPC booster.

They look awesome, can't believe I've overlooked them before.

Does it come with the ROMs onboard (for example Arkos ROM 1.1) or do you need a ROMbox as well?

And does it work on a 6128+?

TFM

Quote from: redbox on 19:04, 15 September 10

They look awesome, can't believe I've overlooked them before.

Does it come with the ROMs onboard (for example Arkos ROM 1.1) or do you need a ROMbox as well?

And does it work on a 6128+?

The CPC Booster(+) works with any CPC, also Plus. For the Arkos ROMs (or other ROMs) you will need a MegaFlash, ROM board, ROM-RAM-Box, Symbiface 2 or similar.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus