News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Using SymbOS with the GFX9000 (MSX grapics card)

Started by Edoz(MSX), 14:27, 27 March 17

Previous topic - Next topic

tjohnson

Quote from: bitvision on 09:20, 04 February 18
Hi guys!
I just received my CPC-V9990 Powergraph and I didn't take into account I need a way to connect it to my CPC6128. I think I need an MX4 o a simple belt for that ... Do you know where I can buy any of those? Any online shop or anybody selling those?
Thanks!
Is that a picture of the card!?  Looks very neat.  does it contect to the expansion slot edge connector?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

robcfg

Quote from: bitvision on 09:20, 04 February 18
Hi guys!
I just received my CPC-V9990 Powergraph and I didn't take into account I need a way to connect it to my CPC6128. I think I need an MX4 o a simple belt for that ... Do you know where I can buy any of those? Any online shop or anybody selling those?
Thanks!

Ask @TotO for an MX4 or the cable you need.

bitvision

@tjohnson yes it does , but I need a MX5 or a proper cable to do it.
@robcfg thanks for the info. I just sent him a pm.

Prodatron

Good to see, that the cards are arriving! :) I am using a...
BenQ BL702A 43 cm (17 Zoll) LED-Monitor (5:4 SXGA, LED, VGA, 5ms)
(bought it here: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00DZFOVZW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

It can be connected to the CPC Powergraph directly via a usual VGA cable. The only issue currently is, that it is first switching the colour sheme to YUV, and you have to go to the menu of the monitor and switch to RGB. I hope this can be fixed (maybe there is a "save settings"...).

Here is a video showing the Robot demo on my CPC+Powergraph+BenQ monitor (recorded on the MSX meeting in Nijmegen the day before yesterday):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16GFIp7LJR4

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Joseman

Hi

mine is here too!!  8)

Now i need AMSDAP and the msx-mp3 player!!!

Symbos looks lovely with the card!

Scarlettkitten

Sophie Rose:- My musical works https://soundcloud.com/sophierosemusics

Bryce

They look very well made and the soldering is perfect. I wonder why he didn't go for SMD resistors and capacitors? It would have made things easier and cheaper for him.

Bryce.

VincentGR

Quote from: Bryce on 08:55, 06 February 18
They look very well made and the soldering is perfect. I wonder why he didn't go for SMD resistors and capacitors? It would have made things easier and cheaper for him.

Bryce.

Heeeeeyy, older technology is better  ;D

Bryce

Not if better = cost and time to solder up a device.

Bryce.

||C|-|E||

I will have to go to London tomorrow to collect mine, but I think it will be worth it  :D I agree that SMD components have advantages, although I must admit that I like the board a lot as it is now. It matches with the computer really well!

||C|-|E||

So yes, I collected mine today! It certainly looks nice, although soldering in my board is a bit sloppy at least in three points. Nothing critical though, and very easy to "fix". It would certainly work the same without reflowing these spots. It is more cosmetic than anything else  :)

LambdaMikel

Got mine too  :D  PCB and soldering looks great... really good.
Have to figure out how to test it.

Edoz(MSX)

I used this BenQ BL702A monitor as well, however this monitor works the picture quality is not that good. So, if someone else have a better result let us know. Maybe there is a better monitor to use.

Edoz(MSX)

I have some good news. Today i soldered myself a cable between the V9990 and the monitor, so from VGA -> to SCART.
It seems to work perfect on my display (Old Philips CRT Monitor, CM8833)

I will post the pin layout here later!

Munchausen

Is the symbos version compatible with the GFX9000 available yet (my card also arrived - a few weeks ago)?

msmthng

How can i test the card/monitor? Should there something apear on the monitor if i turn both on or is there only output to the card if i run specific programms?

Edoz(MSX)

I know that Prodatron is currently working on a new build for SymbOS which supports the v9990. But that one is not released at the moment. We have to wait for that.

Currently the only software which works is the ROBO demo from Technobytes.

I am not that familiar with the CPC but i do the following to start the demo.
(Please be aware that after each run command the CPC reboots to basic again)

I user the M4 to mount the DISK file which is attached in the ZIP file:

I do it like |CD,"robot.dsk"

RUN "Clear"

RUN "A1"
RUN "A2"
RUN "A3"

RUN "B1"
RUN "B2"
RUN "B3"

RUN "C1"
RUN "C2"
RUN "C3"

RUN "ROBO"

Edoz(MSX)

msmthng

black monitor (BenQ V2400 Eco, should be also 15kHz able) :-(

Edoz(MSX)

I only tested it on the BenQ BL702A monitor (which seems to have a bit poor quality)
But on my old Philips CM8833 i have perfect picture by using a VGA to SCART cable.

So your monitor is connected using a VGA connector? And did you run every .BAS file separately, so waiting until it return to the basic prompt?
I think, your monitor is not supporting it correctly. Do you have an old monitor like i have? (CM8833)

Edoz(MSX)

Does your monitor support 15k over RGB? (As i notice that i have to set my Philips CM8833 to RGB)

msmthng

Quote from: Edoz(MSX) on 19:44, 05 March 18
Does your monitor support 15k over RGB? (As i notice that i have to set my Philips CM8833 to RGB)
based on this list it should support 15k over RGB.

msmthng

Quote from: Edoz(MSX) on 19:42, 05 March 18
I only tested it on the BenQ BL702A monitor (which seems to have a bit poor quality)
But on my old Philips CM8833 i have perfect picture by using a VGA to SCART cable.

So your monitor is connected using a VGA connector? And did you run every .BAS file separately, so waiting until it return to the basic prompt?
I think, your monitor is not supporting it correctly. Do you have an old monitor like i have? (CM8833)

yes each bas executed seperately. waited for the new basic prompt after each script.
on run"robo the cpc monitor stays blue and nothing happening on the benQ.

Edoz(MSX)

At this point, i really can advise to use it in combination with the Philips CM8833, using a VGA to SCART  connector. It gives the best picture quality. That reminds me that i have to post the PIN of the VGA to SCART cable still over here.

About the BenQ monitor. The monitor i have has to set to RGB mode first before i can use it. (In the settings/control panel of the monitor) Maybe on your monitor you have to do the same?

Edoz(MSX)

My modern "television" is also not support the 15 khz over RGB. But here you see a picture of the CM8833. I hope you can solve it by setting your monitor to RGB in the control panel of your monitor like i have to do on my BenQ.