News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Using SymbOS with the GFX9000 (MSX grapics card)

Started by Edoz(MSX), 14:27, 27 March 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Prodatron

I got an email from Ritcho/Tecnobytes yesterday and would like to share some parts of it here with the CPC community :)

Quote from: Tecnobytes
About the Z80 % use.. you (and Trebmint) are 100% correct.
[...]so I did start the DEMO 3 day ago...). The CPC was in Tecnobytes LAB with Oazem, so I developed all DEMO for MSX and yesterday, Rogerio (our third member) brought the CPC to my home, and I finally had tested in the CPC. In fact, I just change the Keyboard routine! Nothing more. I made change on the Gfx9KLib, and all functions are the same for CPC and MSX (I didn't update all lib yet... just the used routines). Just the original hardware code was changed... AH! I also changed the start entry point of the program... nothing more! So its easy to make a (same) game for MSX and CPC with V9990 :-) (maybe Zx Spectrun :-O)

He is using the Gfx9KLib written by MSD from the dutch "Team Bomba", which was published some years ago:
https://www.teambomba.net/gfx9klib.html
It contains the complete function set for controlling and using the V9990 video hardware.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

DaDMaN

@Edoz(MSX)
Absolutely great addon for our beloved Amstrad CPC! One for me, please  :D

Prodatron

Great news!
Tecnobytes finished the V9990 CPC Powergraph! Pre-Sale has been started, it can be ordered now!
You can find all information here:

http://www.tecnobytes.com.br/p/v9990-powergraph_10.html

The SymbOS CPC V9990 "Powergraph" low level screen driver has been prepared and will be fully tested soon. I am quite excited about it! :)

Morri

All paid for.
Page says they only need to sell 30 units to make it viable, cmon guys, we can do it!
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

roudoudou

the purpose of this extension is "only" to enhance SymbOS ?
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

||C|-|E||

I bought my unit too! I am always glad to support new hardware!  :D (and software  :-\ )

Trebmint

Quote from: roudoudou on 22:31, 11 August 17
the purpose of this extension is "only" to enhance SymbOS ?
No it doesn't require symbos. Any coder can write software for it. Symbos is just a piece of software that will be available that uses its functionality

zhulien

is it an mx4 card?

Someone should port Curry demo and Nyan cat to V9990 on CPC...

rpalmer

The only issue I can see for the card is that apart from RGB, it can connect to a 15KHz VGA monitor which in today's market is difficult to come by as most VGA monitors and backwards compatible LCD/LED monitors may not always support such a low scan line refresh rate. VGA monitors are normally and most frequently support a minimum of 31KHz.

This I know (in Oz at least) is that my Amiga 1200 needs such support and there were very very few monitors which support the 15KHz mode. Thankfully I got a BenQ model which is lucky as they were in short supply and appear to be an end of model supporting such frequencies. Most (if not all) LCDs/LEDs are aiming for much higher frequencies as the graphics support is now at 1080p, 4K or even higher resolutions.

Also the website needs a bit more spell checking... like what is "Dual Port Sam"????

rpalmer

zhulien

I bought my cards...  it won't be too long before someone creates a set of RSXs for it so BASIC can take full advantage of it.  and also even as a RAMDISC (perhaps?) - so i will get another 512kb RAM...

Interestingly they make an ethernet card for msx too, I wonder if Symbos will support that?

SapphiRe

There are some MSX+V9990 published games:

Green Gravity Guy:

Codename: INTRUDER

Both use Z80 + PSG music (and optional SCC music) and require just 8kb of RAM (games comes on ROM format). Also INTRUDER uses dual screen, showing some info through the internal VDP of MSX. Port those games to CPC + V9990 should be relatively easy.

Prodatron

Quote from: rpalmer on 01:54, 12 August 17The only issue I can see for the card is that apart from RGB, it can connect to a 15KHz VGA monitor which in today's market is difficult to come by as most VGA monitors and backwards compatible LCD/LED monitors may not always support such a low scan line refresh rate.
I am using a SCART cable, and this works fine with my modern LCD flatscreen. For resolutions up to 768x212 the quality is fine here, just with 1024x212 the picture is a little bit muddy I would say (and then the ratio is crap anyway :) ).

ivarf

This is what Sega did with the Sega Megadrive and failed. It was the start of the end of Sega. >:(

:P

on the other hand, SymbOS gives it the multiplatform PC advantage. Thumbsup

||C|-|E||

Besides, I deeply enjoyed my 32X and my Mega CD  :D

rpalmer

Quote from: Prodatron on 15:51, 12 August 17
I am using a SCART cable, and this works fine with my modern LCD flatscreen. For resolutions up to 768x212 the quality is fine here, just with 1024x212 the picture is a little bit muddy I would say (and then the ratio is crap anyway :) ).

In Oz the SCART connector was not adopted as much as in the EU, which is a pity. I only ever once saw a TV with SCART connector (and was a very cheap model from Asia) and never say a LCD/LED computer monitor with one.

rpalmer

zhulien

If you are in melbourne i can give you an lcd tv with scart... and wall mounting bracket

Edoz(MSX)

Very nice! I was on holidays, but i placed my order as well!

Quote from: Prodatron on 21:42, 11 August 17
Great news!
Tecnobytes finished the V9990 CPC Powergraph! Pre-Sale has been started, it can be ordered now!
You can find all information here:

http://www.tecnobytes.com.br/p/v9990-powergraph_10.html

The SymbOS CPC V9990 "Powergraph" low level screen driver has been prepared and will be fully tested soon. I am quite excited about it! :)

hsimpson

Well that, I'm following this thread. I also paid for preorder :) .

XeNoMoRPH

I would like to see some new complete game in CPC with this V9990 CPC Powergraph  :o
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

ASiC

Do we have an end date for the pre-order?

Edoz(MSX)

Quote from: ASiC on 15:49, 15 August 17
Do we have an end date for the pre-order?

I think techobytes will wait some time to reach the 30 units. But i was reading on their website http://www.tecnobytes.com.br/ that we are over the 20 now! That is good news! I can't wait to make some software for this unit!

Prodatron

I heard, that they nearly reached the 25 now :)

Scarlettkitten

Quote from: Prodatron on 17:24, 15 August 17
I heard, that they nearly reached the 25 now :)

Great, I've ordered mine too :)
Sophie Rose:- My musical works https://soundcloud.com/sophierosemusics

Kris

Gryzor

Crap, they started putting all packages from outside the EU through customs lately, and god knows how much they'd charge me if I ordered one :(