News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Using SymbOS with the GFX9000 (MSX grapics card)

Started by Edoz(MSX), 14:27, 27 March 17

Previous topic - Next topic

MaV

I ordered one as well.

@Gryzor: Try to get in contact with the customs bureau. There are some guidelines for EU countries but every country has its own rules.
In Austria you pay VAT if it hasn't been paid already (so ideally the package should contain a declaration) for items from non-EU countries and up to 150 Euros, but our post charges 10 Euros for delivery (and you can't evade that!) Above 150 Euros, we pay customs which is quite a bit more, but I haven't had the "pleasure" yet.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Gryzor

Yeah... indeed, there's a €10-15 flat surcharge plus VAT (that already raises the price to €127 plus shipment), but the problem is that way too many (chinese, especially) exporters do false value declarations, so customs just charge whatever they seem appropriate. Sooo... yes, they may see something like GFX and look it up and come across a GeForce model and consider it god knows what. You can file for reexamination, and this will cost you another €10-15 just for the privilege, but nothing guarantees the rate will change in your favor :(

Joseman

MaV

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:10, 16 August 17Sooo... yes, they may see something like GFX and look it up and come across a GeForce model and consider it god knows what. You can file for reexamination, and this will cost you another €10-15 just for the privilege, but nothing guarantees the rate will change in your favor :(
That's the main problem. I hope I can explain them what this item exactly is without them making false assumptions. We'll see.

Prodatron

Hard to believe, that the guy from the custom thinks, that this is an actual hardcore Gamer Geforce GFX card:

Looks more like a 10 Euro article  :D

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

MaV

Quote from: Prodatron on 13:54, 17 August 17
Hard to believe, that the guy from the custom thinks, that this is an actual hardcore Gamer Geforce GFX card:

The Geforce card was mentioned as a ridiculous example of what might happen. Let's review Gryzor's comment:
Quote from: GryzorSooo... yes, they may see something like GFX and look it up and come across a GeForce model and consider it god knows what.
Clearly, this is about the customs offices generally estimating too high, especially when they never saw anything comparable.
One true story: remember bonefish from the Revision parties? ;) He told me how he got a ZX80 in pristine condition cheaply on eBay but then had troubles at customs because they checked a ZX80 a couple of weeks before him that looked grimy and worn down and the accompanying bill priced it at close to 200 Euros. In their opinion, one ZX80 in pristine condition surely must be more expensive then (and who can blame them for thinking that). It took quite a bit of time to clarify things and he eventually succeeded. But you can never be sure it'll turn out in your favour.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the GFX9990. :) Hopefully you'll bring yours to the XZentriX, if you already have one?

Bryce

In Germany you have to bring the receipts/Paypal confirmation and any documentation relating to the sale, otherwise they start estimating.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Supposedly you can do that here too, if you go to the customs office which is -of course- a lengthy and expensive procedure. But of course that's stupid too - you can either forge the (Paypal) receipt or, heck, pay the thing in two installments and show one of them :D

Trebmint

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:02, 18 August 17
Supposedly you can do that here too, if you go to the customs office which is -of course- a lengthy and expensive procedure. But of course that's stupid too - you can either forge the (Paypal) receipt or, heck, pay the thing in two installments and show one of them :D

Prodatron has got some extra ordered so will have a few for sale I believe. So you'll be able to get some from within the EU rather than Brazil. Problem is we need to get to the production quantity first. Think we're only a few off now.

Bit of a catch 22. We cant commit to games for the card until we know they'll happen, but it takes shiny new games to make people want them.

CraigsBar

I want one.... And now I have an msx2 the card may get double usage doubling the usefulness.

Although my retro budget this month is long gone.... Msx2, ghost cartridge etc etc....

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

ivarf

Quote from: Prodatron on 13:54, 17 August 17

A clue should be the 1991 copyright on the Yamaha chip

rpalmer

Quote from: Trebmint on 15:18, 18 August 17

Bit of a catch 22. We cant commit to games for the card until we know they'll happen, but it takes shiny new games to make people want them.

Its not really a catch-22.
Its all about confidence to build a fixed number of them (taking on the burden of the initial costs) to sell and test to see if people are prepared to buy it. It also helps to convert some MSX software to the cpc to showcase what the item can do.
If they don't then you know this type of hardware has limited scope in which case it should be built on request after the initial builds are sold.
If you run out of builds to sell then order double the number of bits that go into making it and then again see if the piece of kit sells like "hot cakes", in which case repeat again.

rpalmer

Munchausen

I want one but I can't order until I get paid at the end of the month

Poliander

Will the final product also consist of a MX4 adapter and a separate board containing the video chip?
Schneider CPC 664 • X-MEM • Vortex F1-X Drive • CTM 644 • DMP 2160
Schneider CPC 6128 • Z-MEM • M4 Board • MultiPlay + Amiga Mouse • OSSC

ASiC

Quote from: Munchausen on 09:25, 19 August 17
I want one but I can't order until I get paid at the end of the month

Same here  :(

CraigsBar

Quote from: Poliander on 10:04, 19 August 17
Will the final product also consist of a MX4 adapter and a separate board containing the video chip?
I hope so. That will help me as it will work on 2 systems!

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Prodatron

Quote from: Bryce on 14:41, 25 July 17The MSX version doesn't need a convertor card, so unless a CPC specific version is made, the CPC expansion will be more expensive.
No, the CPC version has the same price as the MSX version (around 90$).

Prodatron

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:59, 22 August 17
I hope so. That will help me as it will work on 2 systems!
No, it's not like this, IIRC they never talked about an adapter (or did they ever talked about an ultimate one? - not sure)
Connecting MSX hardware to a CPC via an adapter sounds fine but is quite difficult and seems to stay a dream actually. The V9990 is connected in a native way to the Z80 bus of the CPC. If anyone can do a real adapter for I/O based MSX devices (like G9K, MP3, etc) please please do it! :) In this case I really wonder, why NOONE has done this before?!?!  :o :o

SapphiRe

Quote from: Prodatron on 23:38, 22 August 17
If anyone can do a real adapter for I/O based MSX devices (like G9K, MP3, etc) please please do it! :) In this case I really wonder, why NOONE has done this before?!?!  :o :o

I sent them an email some days ago asking this same question. But it seems the email address they have is not working. An adapter will be really awesome!!

tjohnson

So what's the latest on this?   Have they started shipping or was the pre order to get the investment to start the production?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Trebmint

According to Technobytes webpage we're going to be getting a new Video Card. The 30 minimum was passed and they are making more for the future too. So we better start thinking about getting some development started :)
left!

GUNHED

Well, for this it would be needed to have some documentation... Where to get it?
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

pelrun

From earlier in this thread:

The V9990 io ports are mapped to the CPC at &FD60-&FD6F. http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/I/O_Port_Summary#I.2FO_Port_Summary

Then you just use all the existing V9990 documentation for the MSX, for instance: http://msxbanzai.tni.nl/v9990/manual.html

GUNHED

http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Edoz(MSX)