News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Using SymbOS with the GFX9000 (MSX grapics card)

Started by Edoz(MSX), 14:27, 27 March 17

Previous topic - Next topic

msmthng

Is there already a preorder list existing for this?

Edoz(MSX)

Quote from: msmthng on 09:36, 02 October 17
Is there already a preorder list existing for this?

You can already (pre) order the V9990 CPC Powergraph device already on the technobytes site:

http://www.tecnobytes.com.br/p/v9990-powergraph_10.html

If you have any questions best is to contact them.

zhulien

looking at the programming docs, it seems it may actually be possible to use it as a 512kb RAMDisc... not as fast ask a memory mapped DkTronics one, but likely faster than a floppy drive for sure...

Prodatron

Yes, there are CPU to memory and memory to CPU commands. So you could implement a 512KB ram disc, but it would a strange use case for the V9990 gfx card :D

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

ASiC

Do we know if the final design will use the superimpose feature of the VDP in order to have one screen for both outputs?

In case it doesn't, does anybody know how hard might be (if possible at all) to do an aftermarket modification to the card?

Cheers

pelrun

The superimpose feature of the V9990 is simply that it can generate an extra transparency signal in sync with the video output to tell "some other hardware" which video input to take the current pixel from. All the hard work would actually be done by the extra hardware (a genlock, etc etc) which would cost a lot more to integrate onto this board.

Poliander

Quote from: ASiC on 21:07, 03 October 17
Do we know if the final design will use the superimpose feature of the VDP in order to have one screen for both outputs?

That would be great, but it would require to digitalize the CPC video signal and put into memory first... the effort to achieve this is pretty high
Schneider CPC 664 • X-MEM • Vortex F1-X Drive • CTM 644 • DMP 2160
Schneider CPC 6128 • Z-MEM • M4 Board • MultiPlay + Amiga Mouse • OSSC

msmthng

Today i got the feedback from Tecnobytes Brazil that there are 6 units left.

Prodatron

And today I heard, that the first units will be shipped soon! :)

HAL6128

How will SymbOS support that graphical extension (in terms of enhancements)?
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

Prodatron

That's quite simple to describe:
You will have a 16 colour display of 384x240, 512x212, 768x240 or 1024x212 pixels with your CPC  :D
And you can still run all your SymbOS apps from your beloved 3" floppy disc (or M4Board SD card, X-MASS, SYMBiFACE II or whatever).
It's just "another" graphic card for an expandable machine (in this case based on a Z80 ;) ) and a graphical user interface, which is able to support any amount of resolutions and different colour depths without the need to modify existing application (they will always run due to the platform independency).

Bryce

That's pretty cool. Are they being produced yet (the hardware) and what does the setup cost?

Bryce.

khaz

I thought there was no need for a CPC-specific card with the new MSX adapter?

Munchausen

@Prodatron Any chance of dual head output? i.e. dual monitors in symbos!?

Prodatron

Quote from: Munchausen on 08:59, 17 October 17
@Prodatron Any chance of dual head output? i.e. dual monitors in symbos!?
It would be possible to have one SymShell running on the normal CPC monitor, while the GUI is still active on the GFX9000 display. Could be quite interesting and special.
During the last 2 days I made some progress with the G9K-Version of SymbOS CPC and will probably post some pictures or videos later.

Bryce

And when will the Youtube client be finished? :D

Bryce.

Prodatron

First video showing SymbOS running on the Amstrad CPC with AMSDAP + original MSX Graphics9000 hardware connected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plQf9_7zPSA
It's f*ing cool really, and beside some minor bugs it's fully working now :)

Quote from: Bryce on 15:02, 24 July 17A nice idea and proof of concept, but as long as it's external it will never get even close to being useful.
;)

keith56

This looks great!
I'm looking to do some MSX dev with the V9990 - and maybe later on the CPC too - so this is very interesting!
Is the AmsDAP going to be sold by the same makers as the MSX V9990? is the Amsdap going to be cheaper than the CPC-V9990 on its own - or is it better to take the plunge and buy the CPC one!
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

HAL6128

Yes! It's really f****ing cool! Looking torward to!!!
Hopefully Trebmints Quigs will support / include the new feature too.

The CPC monitor Output is black. Is it disabled for the moment?
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

roudoudou

Quote from: Prodatron on 01:52, 27 October 17
First video showing SymbOS running on the Amstrad CPC with AMSDAP + original MSX Graphics9000 hardware connected:

;)

For the video player, is it possible to avoid slow refresh by copying the video frames elsewhere in the video memory, then blit it to the final window?
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Bryce

@Prodatron: Yes, I take that back and eat my words. Very impressive.

Bryce.

Edoz(MSX)

Quote from: Prodatron on 01:52, 27 October 17

;)

hahah !! this is so cool to see! Now we have this nice color SymbOS as well on the CPC!!!!!  :P :P :P :P :P

Trebmint

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 06:53, 27 October 17
Yes! It's really f****ing cool! Looking torward to!!!
Hopefully Trebmints Quigs will support / include the new feature too.

The CPC monitor Output is black. Is it disabled for the moment?
Yes quigs will. I took a week to re-implement the video with mp3, so I've been a little delayed, but we're getting near to a release

Gryzor

This is way too cool!

I was just watching the video full-screen, and my boss passed by my desk, he didn't notice I was actually watching a video :D

GUNHED

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:45, 27 October 17
This is way too cool!

So very true! And isn't it wonderful to have supporting software before the official release of the card. I wished other expansion cards would have the same software support. That Powergraph is probably the #1 greatest expansion for 2017.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)