News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

V9990

Started by Nicolas Lecoq, 07:30, 31 May 19

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicolas Lecoq

Hello,
Where can I buy graphic card v9990 technobytes ?
Thanks

XeNoMoRPH

Quote from: Nicolas Lecoq on 07:30, 31 May 19
Hello,
Thanks
http://www.tecnobytes.com.br/p/v9990-powergraph_10.html
but it is not available for sale now
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

TotO

Sadly, as I know, the V9990 IC is out of stock since January 2019...  :-\
During around 25 years, it was used for many projects instead of the MSX3.
I have sold four from my own IC spare, so may be try to contact them if it allows to get one more for you.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

asertus

Quote from: Nicolas Lecoq on 07:30, 31 May 19
Hello,
Thanks

Anyway, ask them, if they have demand they may launch a new batch of cards, as they did with the MSX version of 9990 and other products.

Munchausen

Quote from: TotO on 18:25, 02 June 19
Sadly, as I know, the V9990 IC is out of stock since January 2019...  :-\
During around 25 years, it was used for many projects instead of the MSX3.
I have sold four from my own IC spare, so may be try to contact them if it allows to get one more for you.

This is sad. But I see that it is available, or at least can be ordered (but very expensive), here: https://www.utsource.net/pro/V9990.html

I wonder if it can be found cheaper elsewhere, as utsource are a sourcing company.

This company claims to have it for about half the price https://www.circuitsthyristors.com/YAMAHA-V9990-QFP-.html

There are alibaba sellers that claim to have it, but I take that with a pinch of salt https://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/CN/v9990.html

TotO

The V9990 was no more available from them previously, and now the price have a lot increased (25$ previously) and they have big quantity in stock again.
If everiboby offer it, I suggest that are not original parts but clones and they wait offers to define their prices... (I have two of them left with RAM IC)

I think the best should be to contain the final price by including it into the Symbiface design. (makes the SymbOS applications "computers independent")
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Fmtrx

Hi all,
I understand that this graphics card can be utilized at its max potential if one uses specific libraries that support  the hardware.
But one question tortures my mind :) :

Can the existing old cpc games written back then be accelerated by the V9990 as they are?
It is a question to understand how this card works; I mean does this card accelerates current CPC graphic operations somehow?

TotO

Not at all. You have to reprogram the game display engine at less.

Fmtrx

i was afraid that this would be the answer, but i wanted to have some hopes.
For me the best upgrade for CPC is not to upgrade the graphics but its graphics rendering speed.
You keep the same look of the CPC with the graphics, just enhance the speed. It remains a faithful CPC in this way

zhulien

Although it isn't a V9990, if you are following the CPLINK thread http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/cpc-cplink-a-coprocessor-interface-card-for-all-cpcs/.

The Screen.PI driver idea here: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/programming/cpc-drivers/  should cater for this to some degree.

there is no reason why this cannot be a reasonable GFX card for the CPC... Full HD, maybe even QuadHD (since the PI unofficially supports that), given a reasonable command set, sprites, display modes... then we can have something that surpasses the V9990 in many ways.

SOS

Quote from: zhulien on 06:34, 18 December 19
there is no reason why this cannot be a reasonable GFX card for the CPC... Full HD, maybe even QuadHD (since the PI unofficially supports that)
I dont know - Maybe Performance?

zhulien

My understanding is that the CPC communicates to the V9990 via IO ports - not memory mapped to the CPC RAM - which is the same as the CPLINK.  Of course there might be performance differences between how fast the V9990 be read/written to vs the CPLINK - but... it would definitely perform well if the PI-side is coded right to provide screen modes, 1080p, text routines, sprites and perhaps drawing commands - in 3D?  I suspect it won't be too long before the CPLINK will be usable as a gfx card of some type.

TotO

The V9990 is tile based (with blitter features when sprites are disabled) and use a dedicated memory to perform the display. Not require more than IN/OUT to be used.
By the way, this VDP is from the past... No more stock available and never properly used on any systems since 25 years. (MSX homebrews can be count on the E.T. hand fingers)

revaldinho

Quote from: SOS on 08:02, 18 December 19
I dont know - Maybe Performance?
The PiTubeDirect project uses a Pi to emulate both the Acorn tube IC in real-time and a 6502 and gets performance equivalent to a ~300MHz 6502.

CPC-CPlink liberates the Pi from dealing with the real-time interface requirements, so I would think that you might get a decent emulation of a V9990 running if you were minded to do that, and particularly if you were able to make use of the Pi's built-in GPU.

Less ambitiously, a simple interception of the firmware routines would be able to boost CPC graphics speed for 'well-behaved' software. That's on the to-do list for the CPC-CPlink/MCP project. Unfortunately that probably precludes pretty much all games which bypass the firmware to access video memory and CRTC functions directly.

TotO

Quote from: revaldinho on 17:38, 18 December 19CPC-CPlink liberates the Pi from dealing with the real-time interface requirements, so I would think that you might get a decent emulation of a V9990 running if you were minded to do that, and particularly if you were able to make use of the Pi's built-in GPU.
And SugarBox liberate the user from the CPC, by doing all with the Pi...  :-\

revaldinho

Quote from: TotO on 17:42, 18 December 19
And SugarBox liberate the user from the CPC, by doing all with the Pi...  :-\

:D

Well, yes. It's always difficult to know where to draw the line on retro hardware projects vs emulators.

Emulating a chip no longer available is always interesting though.

TotO

Quote from: revaldinho on 17:55, 18 December 19
Emulating a chip no longer available is always interesting though.
I agree, but... The V9990 is not really interresting for CPC users. Few owners and partially supported by SymbOS with only 16 colours mode in software, no blitter/sprite used.
The best will be to have a dedicated graphic chip more close to how work the GateArray/CRTC or an EGA / VGA graphic card.

GUNHED

The only problem with the VDP9990 is how to get the correct monitor for it. I asked for a list before, but only Prodatron did answer and so the choice of monitors is kind of limited. I did ask somebody else and bought the same (cheap) flat screen, but it didn't work. There are two slightly different cards with the VDP9990. But the difference seems only to be on the signals. I have few time, so I did't continue to work with it. But if you can tell a working monitor, (not too expensive if possible) then let me know.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

TotO

I have two set of brand new "V9990 + 2x 256K RAM IC" for sell if that could help some peoples here to got a fully working video board.
I ask 49€ including tracked mail shipping for each set (30€ IC, 2x7€ RAM, 5€ shipping). I do not sell them separately.

Just PM me if interrested.

zhulien

Hi Everyone, I am wanting to know how many people here want a Technobytes v9990.

I have contacted them and they need 30 pieces to be ordered for a new batch to be made.  Is there a demand for 30 to get another batch made?

craem

Hi Zhulien, one for me :)

The bus to connect to the amstrad is for mx-4 board ?

SkulleateR

Isn't this for MSX Expansion Slot ? So you may need an adapter ?

HigashiJun

One for me too.

Cheers.
HigashiJun

AnakinTF

Quote from: zhulien on 14:06, 05 September 21
Hi Everyone, I am wanting to know how many people here want a Technobytes v9990.

I have contacted them and they need 30 pieces to be ordered for a new batch to be made.  Is there a demand for 30 to get another batch made?
if possible, I want one

zhulien

Quote from: SkulleateR on 20:24, 05 September 21
Isn't this for MSX Expansion Slot ? So you may need an adapter ?

There is an MSX version that works on the CPC using the AMSDAP adapter - but... in this case it is referring to the Mother X4 version of the Graphics Card which was redesigned / tweaked to be a CPC card.  There was a batch made a couple of years back (unsure of the size, perhaps @Prodatron knows how many currently in circulation).