News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Production for 464 Plus Tape lids and Cartridge Cases!

Started by Winslow Leach, 09:38, 13 June 13

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesBrothers

We do actually have acces to a 3D printer. The trouble with that is colour matching, finish, etc are much harder to obtain. Personally I want something which matches the original and is not distinguishable as a replacement. I am totally prepared to stand the cost of making up an aluminium mould and run off a batch as it seems to be something which there is a demand for. The extras which I sell off will at least help go someway towards repaying my investment. It's also part of a learning curve for me and something I'm keen to have a part in.

TFM

Quote from: EgoTrip on 14:22, 27 June 13
Get a 3D printer and print your own that way
We discussed this 3D printers numerous times in the Wiki, and everybody ever using one told, JUST DON'T DO IT FOR CARTRIDGES!!!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TheCorfiot

Quote from: TFM/FS on 16:04, 27 June 13
And please let's end the 3D printer topic here, anything else would be trolling.

wtf  :laugh:

steve

BluesBrothers

Cheers Steve

LOL. Yeah I'd been warned these were a sod to open. Should we keep them this way or make getting them open easier?

steve

The two halves could be held together by four screws or nuts and bolts.

Gryzor

I'd buy a few, at a normal price. As for the colour, I'd suggest going for a distinct one, or maybe putting on a mark in order to differentiate from the originals. I think it would be useful to identify bootlegs down the road...

I've got a 464 Plus stowed away. Do you still need the lid? I could try and locate it...

BluesBrothers

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:35, 28 June 13
I'd buy a few, at a normal price. As for the colour, I'd suggest going for a distinct one, or maybe putting on a mark in order to differentiate from the originals. I think it would be useful to identify bootlegs down the road...

I've got a 464 Plus stowed away. Do you still need the lid? I could try and locate it...
Personally I too like the idea of a different colour but some communities don't like to deviate. Thankfully you guys are an open minded bunch :D
Yes, yes, yes please, the loan of a tape lid would be massive. Just long enough to get cast from it really. I'm away now till Sunday but will PM then if that's ok.

Gryzor

Yeah, we're open-minded like that. We even love c64[nb]no we don't[/nb].

But, even if the consensus is for the same boring colour, still a distinctive mark would be a plus. Even if it's only the date, your avatar, the wiki logo[nb]heh[/nb], whatever!

Ok, I'll try to unearth it; I trust it will survive the duplication process intact? I remember it being mint... :)

BluesBrothers

I'll see to it that there is some distinction

Don't worry, we will take great care of the original. There are various methods of taking an impression without causing damage to the original. Will be in touch and thank you really very much.

TFM

Quote from: BluesBrothers on 16:35, 28 June 13
...Yeah I'd been warned these were a sod to open. Should we keep them this way or make getting them open easier?
Well, personally I wouldn't mind to change the system as long as it works. But any kind of screws, bolt or whatever would make the Cartridge just more complex and expensive.
On the other hand... How often do you open it?
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

BluesBrothers

Ok, so... I got back last night from Leicester where my friend is and whilst I'm quite tired (some drinking was involved later on ::) ) I'm also very happy with what project ideas we have managed to look at, the cases being one of them and one which will be priorotised because of it's simplicity. I will have to allow a few days for a price to come back but I'm confident we can get this done and we can suply all the cases you'll ever need.

More info will be posted as soon as it rolls in

Gryzor

Just a small heads-up: we had a minor disaster at home and need to do quite some work with plumbers, electricians, painters and a couple of other specialties. This mean it'll take me a couple of days to unearth my 464 Plus... Sorry about that.

BluesBrothers

That's cool and thanks for letting me know. There's not a massive hurry but it'd obviously be nice to get it done and hopefully it'll help many people.
Whenever you're sorted just let me know and I'll make sure to see you right for shipping costs. Many thanks.

BluesBrothers

and, sorry, very rude of me not to say before but hope you manage to sort out your household disasters without too much fuss.

Gryzor

Haha no worries mate, just an unexpected expense, other than that I have done much bigger home projects, so it's only an annoyance that puts other things off. As for postage, nah, happy to be of service, this is a nice project (and if you ever want to make lids for the 464 model, all the better). Just make sure it gets back safely and we're square :)

BluesBrothers

Ah you're a diamond mate.

As far as the lids go for the original 464,s then I do get a fair few of these through my doors and never really imagined the demand to be all that high. If you know something I don't though please let me know ;) .

On a serious note though it might be handy to get hold of the clear perspex panel as these are often cracked. I wonder if these are also generic to the Speccy +2's as it would add merit to setting about a run of them. When I get a few mins with a screwdriver in my hand I'll investigate. I'm also quite keen to look into the badged areas on these and other systems. I also have some links in with screen printers and wonder if some repros could be done. I believe you have a certain weakness for fridge magnets ;D  or is that just with the keys?

Gryzor

As you hinted, the problem with 464 lids is not that we're lacking them, but rather that we lack mint ones. I would guess that the perspex part would actually be the easier to do - just produce a nice large sheet and laser-cut it? What I would think would be more difficult (well, not technically, but cost/printing wise) would be the diagram on them.[nb]btw, the Plus lid does have a transparent area too, doesn't it??[/nb]

And, as for the badges - hell yeah, how I'd love some. Fridge magnets ahoy! A few years back I had looked into it but the cost then was prohibitive. What was nice, however, was the fact that each one you would print could be different at no great price difference, which meant you could very easily do customised ones - I'd go for a "CPCWiki Amstrad CPC464 Extended" badge :D

BluesBrothers

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:28, 30 June 13
As you hinted, the problem with 464 lids is not that we're lacking them, but rather that we lack mint ones. I would guess that the perspex part would actually be the easier to do - just produce a nice large sheet and laser-cut it? What I would think would be more difficult (well, not technically, but cost/printing wise) would be the diagram on them.[nb]btw, the Plus lid does have a transparent area too, doesn't it??[/nb]

And, as for the badges - hell yeah, how I'd love some. Fridge magnets ahoy! A few years back I had looked into it but the cost then was prohibitive. What was nice, however, was the fact that each one you would print could be different at no great price difference, which meant you could very easily do customised ones - I'd go for a "CPCWiki Amstrad CPC464 Extended" badge :D
LOL. No promises but I'll make some enquiries  :laugh: . You must have a bloody massive fridge.

Regarding the badges as a whole though I think this seems quite resonable provided there isn't uproar on the distinction of original as oppose to reproduction. Some folk are happy for an item to look the part whilst for others it MUST be 100% original (in my experience anyway). These plates/badges do seem to be an area which shows the most wear and tear on a CPC and I think anyone wanting a nice looking CPC might forgive the odd small scrape to the main plastic body, but the plates/badges are vital. Defo an area worth exploring.

Gryzor

Ok, retrieved the Plus :) Sorry for the wait. PM me with an address and I'll package it for you...

Oh yeah, and please do take a look into badges :)

BluesBrothers

Bit of an update on the cartridge situation..... My friend has said that he should be able to send me a first effort out of the mould  early next week for my approval. Once I have given him the nod that all is ok with the case then we should have them in production and available before you know it 8)

TFM

Oh WOW!!! That's amazing!!! Greatest News of the month  :) :) :)

Finally a dream Comes true  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Ohhh yeah. If it's done it'll be the end to one of the oldest questions here :D

Btw, will it have a distinguishing mark after all?

BluesBrothers

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:43, 11 July 13
Ohhh yeah. If it's done it'll be the end to one of the oldest questions here :D

Btw, will it have a distinguishing mark after all?

They should be distinguishable from the originals yes. At the moment I am a bit in the dark myself as I'm waiting to see what Adam comes back with. Am getting quite excited though,....if a little nervous, it's nice to be able to get things done you know. If this comes off as I expect it to then I have all manor of retro bits and pieces for him to recreate ;D

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft