News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Where can I buy replacement LED's for Amstrad CPC 464

Started by anyweb, 23:20, 25 March 21

Previous topic - Next topic

anyweb

hi,the Power LED on one of my CPC 464's is dead, kaput. I've checked voltage to it and it's 5v, I've verified the LED against my multi-meter and it's stone dead, the size of the led seems to be approx 5mm but not exactly, does anyone know what the exact dimensions are and where I can order them from, the only replacements I found were too small to fit the led hole or too big...

thanks very much in advance
cheersniall

Bryce

anyweb

here's what I mean,to the left is the LED I removed from the CPC 464 and to the right is the replacement, it's quite a bit bigger, and I believe it's a 5mm LED...it works in the CPC just fine but doesn't 'sit' perfectly as it's too wide and too long...

I haven't measured it yet to confirm it's size, it was simply in a pack of many from ebay china...

Bryce

That almost looks like a 4mm LED on the left. I thought they were 5mm, but I've never had to swap one. 4mm LEDs can be difficult to find. If you have no luck I may have one or two of them here somewhere.

Bryce.

rpalmer

gerald

It's a 4mm LED.
As Bryce said, not an easy one to find.

Bryce

I've checked. I have a few here in red, green and yellow. They're not new, I obviously took them out of other devices.

Bryce.

tjohnson

Is it feasible to drill hole out to 5mm and fit a standard size?

Bryce

Possible, but it might end up looking shit. Plastic and metal can do all sorts of strange things if the drill is too fast or too slow.

Bryce.

tjohnson

Quote from: Bryce on 11:21, 27 March 21
Possible, but it might end up looking shit. Plastic and metal can do all sorts of strange things if the drill is too fast or too slow.

Bryce.

I haven't got a 464 anymore but I would imagine a very slow drill or do it by hand might be feasible and avoid making it look bad.

anyweb

Quote from: Bryce on 10:57, 27 March 21
I've checked. I have a few here in red, green and yellow. They're not new, I obviously took them out of other devices.

Bryce.
I found some on 4mm red led's on ebay, but strangely they are for 'Tesla', I'll see how they look when they arrive (they were very cheap)

Bryce

Animalgril987

A needle file would be better than a drill.