News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Where to buy a tape cable?

Started by arkive, 22:45, 11 March 20

Previous topic - Next topic

arkive

So I'm on a massive loading-from-real-tapes kick recently, but my 6128 is a fancy beast and needs a special cable apparently. I thought it's just a matter of simple jack to jack, like on Spectrum...

I had a look around and there is one seller on ebay and also coolnovelties shop in UK who sells it. My problem is, I don't use Paypal anymore and they do not accept my bank card/account (Transferwise), because it is all processed by paypal. This account/card works fine with other shops or bank transfers though.

Do you know of any other places which may be selling this cable, or perhaps anybody here has a spare, or could be botehred to make me one for a reasonable fee? I have two left hands when it comes to soldering... Any ideas are most appreciated.

Also, I've bought this Sony tape player to load tapes from but it has only EAR and MIC sockets. Would this work at all? I saw that there are three jacks on this Amstrad cable...do I need another input?

SkulleateR

tjohnson

Where are you based and why don't you use PayPal anymore?

arkive

Quote from: SkulleateR on 11:43, 12 March 20
Retrocables comes to my mind

Good shout, thanks a lot! They accept wire transfers, like any normal business should. Just made an order on the 3-jack cable, it's a bit dear (shipping as much as the cable) but, well, my options are limited.

Still would like to know if it will work with the player which only has EAR and MIC sockets? What's the third one for...DIN? Recording?

@tjohnson: I'm getting out of paypal because I'm tired of their privacy abuses and monopolistic practices. It's not very relevant to this subject though.

VintageAdvantage

Quote from: arkive on 21:33, 12 March 20
Still would like to know if it will work with the player which only has EAR and MIC sockets? What's the third one for...DIN? Recording?

The third cable is motor control. So you will have to stop/start the cassette manually. 

dragon

There is a datacassette in retrocables the only thing is it lacks the tape counter, but you can use de motor control.

http://retrocables.es/tienda/index.php?id_product=939&controller=product&id_lang=4

When buy in retrocables you can try maximize the shippment cost because is based in a range of maximum weight . Buy more things if you need it if they not up the shippement cost.

Bryce

Quote from: dragon on 18:47, 28 March 20
There is a datacassette in retrocables the only thing is it lacks the tape counter, but you can use de motor control.

http://retrocables.es/tienda/index.php?id_product=939&controller=product&id_lang=4

When buy in retrocables you can try maximize the shippment cost because is based in a range of maximum weight . Buy more things if you need it if they not up the shippement cost.

You mean the one that you can buy for less than half the price on ebay? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPO-162B-Retro-Portable-Cassette-tape-player-recorder-FREE-C90-TAPE/293499660308

Bryce.

dragon

That's depend where you live. UK sells in pounds and you lost at change from eur.  In cost and in shippment.

Anyway i prefer retrocables, because the warranty at long term.

tjohnson

Quote from: dragon on 19:11, 28 March 20
That's depend where you live. UK sells in pounds and you lost at change from eur.  In cost and in shippment.

I've bought things on ebay that have failed months later and been able to get my money back via PayPal.

arkive

I have a tape player already. Now just waiting on that cable...could be a long time, seein' how things are in Europe.

tjohnson

Quote from: arkive on 09:19, 29 March 20
I have a tape player already. Now just waiting on that cable...could be a long time, seein' how things are in Europe.

Yeah was thinking of ordering something from us, glad I didn't now.   Where are your based?

arkive

In Poland. Got two big orders of retro games & mags waiting in UK...but hey, have waited decades for them already, can wait a bit more  ;)

Bryce

Quote from: dragon on 19:11, 28 March 20

16.95GBP is €18 so it's still half the price. And even with different shipping costs, the ebay item is still considerably cheaper.

Bryce.

dragon

Retrocables: 2 year warranty in New  actually things as the tape wire or the datacassette. without shippement cost in warranty.

1 year of warranty in old stock new  things. As the gx4000 old new stock.

6 months in second hand items.

Paypal offers 180 days.

They changed me one broken new gx4000 in her day without problems and these datacassette because was one button bad. But in my case I go in person to change it because I live near it.

Thats my experience at least. Good.

Datacassette show me 16,99+14,55=18.95+16,97=33, 92e For me the only difference are few eurs x less warranty..

And add the extra cost of change the ac adapter wire, because if you buy it in uk, it come with the uk ac standard electrical plug.