News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Who's interested in having an S-Video Modulator?

Started by Bryce, 14:53, 24 March 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Hi All,
       I have been asked by several people, whether I could make some AD724 based Modulators, like the one seen below. It has several advantages over the old MC1377 based Modulator:

1) S-Video instead of Composite.
2) Picture quality is absolutely perfect, crisp clear picture with good contrast and vibrant colours, none of the wobbles, blurredness, darkness and other effects common with composite Modulators.
3) Very small (final version would be approx. 25mm x 40mm), so it can be installed anywhere.
4) Needs just 5V, so it can be installed inside a CPC Plus without the need for an additional power supply.

The final version would only have an S-Video Socket (no composite as seen below) and 6 input Pins: R,G,B, Sync, 5V, 0V which you can connect yourself as you wish, to whatever you wish (it works on all 8-Bitters with an RGB output).

Please let me know (in this thread), who's interested. If there's enough interest I will build a batch of them. I haven't worked out the final price, because it depends on how many I build. But as soon as I have the numbers, I will let you know.

Bryce.

Edit: I just did a quick calculation and they should cost around 25€ plus postage if I have 10 or more people interested.

Devilmarkus

I want one, too, please, but also with composite signal ;)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Bryce

The composite output, isn't as good as the S-Video output and would needlessly add to the final price, so I will only offer an S-video version. If you want to connect it to Composite, then you can use an adapter.

Bryce.

sigh

What's the advantage of this compared to the scart lead versions?

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Bryce on 15:00, 24 March 11
The composite output, isn't as good as the S-Video output and would needlessly add to the final price, so I will only offer an S-video version. If you want to connect it to Composite, then you can use an adapter.

Oh... ok, no problem ;) I still want one.
If it's good, I need  one for all my CPC's ;)

Bryce

Well SCART doesn't work on all newer LCD/Plasma TVs and also, if like me, you want to connect your CPC to an LCD computer monitor (Via Converter) or to a PC TV Card, then there's no SCART socket to connect to.

Bryce.

CPCIak

I'd like to buy one S-Video Modulator and one MegaFlashROM, please ;D

Bryce

The MegaFlash question will come later :) For now it's just S-Video Modulators.

Bryce

CPCIak

Yes of course, I know ;-)
1x S-Video Adapter for me, please.

redbox

* redbox puts his hand up high

Especially if I can put it in the Plus  8)

Cpcmaniaco

I am interested on another one for me.

Thanks.

Gryzor

Yes, one for me too, please. And an HDMI model. Do you want me to announce it on the wiki's main page?

Bryce

Still working on the HDMI model, it's taking a little longer than planned, because I decided to go for Wireless HDMI :D And then my alarm rang... and I was back in reality :D

No need to put it on the Main Page, I think most people will see it here. Either way, I have six orders at the moment, so I only need another 4 for it to be worthwhile. Which shouldn't be too hard to find.

Bryce.

Johnny Olsen

Bryce

MiguelSky

HAL6128

...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

archcosmo

Axelay

If I wanted to use this modulator with a CPC464 but didnt want to modify the CPC at all, what else would I need to do/have/make to be able to use it?

awergh

Quote from: Axelay on 07:22, 25 March 11
If I wanted to use this modulator with a CPC464 but didnt want to modify the CPC at all, what else would I need to do/have/make to be able to use it?

Yes that's exactly what I was wondering as well.

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Axelay on 07:22, 25 March 11

You would need a suitable cable with monitor plug. Also a 5v power supply for both: CPC and modulator.
The cable with monitor plug would be soldered to the modulator's PCB.

(Everyone would need to solder the monitoroutput to the modulator's pcb, so a little technical knowledge is necessary)

xesrjb

,,The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

jsa

2 here please if possible :) If not then I can manage with 1.

awergh

hmm for use with a 464 the cable with monitor plug sounds like a problem, where do I find that?

Bryce

Ok, I'm convinced, I'll order the parts today. I'll also add instructions to the wiki on how to connect it to all types of CPCs and what you'll need to do it. Obviously if you don't want to use your monitor you'll need a 5V supply (and 12V depending on the type of CPC you have). I use a normal PC PSU for my CPCs, cheap and powerful :)

Bryce.