News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Who's interested in having an S-Video Modulator?

Started by Bryce, 14:53, 24 March 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Ynot.zer0

Bryce

Ok, I've just finished the layout and ordered most of the parts. Tomorrow (if I have time) I'll build a sample and show you what it looks like. Because quite a few people want to install it inside their CPC, I've squeezed the layout down as much as I could. The final PCB will be a mere 40mm x 26mm so it will easily fit inside any 8-Bit. At the moment I have only planned for PAL versions, does anyone need NTSC or can I assume you all want PAL?

Bryce.

Gryzor

Always bad to have another box (PC PSU in this case) hanging around... do you reckon it would work with the HxC emu? I think it draws too little power...

awergh

Well if its going to be easy enough to connect then I'll have one to since I'll regret not getting one.
I don't really care if I have to use my Monitor to power it or some random AT PSU.
I just want to see colours :)

Axelay

Quote from: Bryce on 15:34, 26 March 11
I'll also add instructions to the wiki on how to connect it to all types of CPCs and what you'll need to do it.

That sounds like what I'm after.  I'll have one if that's still possible now that you've already ordered the parts.

awergh

I was wondering about that if you had already got most of the parts I'd asked to late

Apollo

I would like to have 2 (in words: two!) as well if the ordering is not over already? Seems a nice and easy way to connect the CPC to anything able to receive S-Video!  8)
CPC - My beloved first computer!

Bryce

I've ordered parts for 20 devices, so everyone who has asked here so far can have what they asked for. But there's only two left now.

@Gryzor (any anyone else who's interested), the Circuit pulls 48mA peak (ie: if the entire screen is white), so the CPC will barely notice that it's connected, you can easily connect it with the HxC and a few other bits connected at the same time.

Bryce.

sigh

I'll take one.

Still using the RF modulator lead that came with my CPC 464 and the results are P R E T T Y bad.

Bryce

Everything has been ordered now and I expect parts to start arriving by the end of the week. I'll keep you informed of how it's going.

Bryce.

Pentagon

I would like to have one of them please.

Thank you very much Bryce !

Kindly Regards

Tom / Pentagon

Gryzor

Not meaning any offense to anyone, but I *do* hope people actually buy the items they've asked for, since Bryce already ordered the parts without getting any actual monies...

Bryce

I'm a trusting sort of guy, but at some stage I'm going to need some cash. I've ordered around €300 of parts at this stage, so anyone who really wants one should send me a PM with their Address and I'll let them know my Paypal account. On the other hand, I also don't forget, so anyone who's said they want one and then pull out, I'll remember who you are, and they can forget ever getting anything else from me :D

Bryce.

sigh

PM sent.

Are you also going to put in a detailed step by step guide installation?

Bryce

As soon as I have started producing them, I will add exact details with pictures for internal and external installation on both classic and Plus CPCs. But don't worry, It's all very easy to do, just six wires.

Bryce.

Pentagon

I sent you a PM....

thank you so much for that project and awesome work!

Kindly Regards

Tom / Pentagon

xesrjb

,,The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

Gryzor

Paid too. I can't stress enough how much I hope/believe that all those who requested them will pay...

almasys

Bryce

Hi Almasys,
       I can't guarantee two of them, because I think they're almost all sold. I'll do a head count later and let you know whether I have 1 or 2 left over.

Bryce.

Bryce

Hi All,
       as I only have the parts for one complete device at the moment, I decided to build one so that you can see the actual device you'll be getting. The discrete parts (resistors / capacitors etc) arrived this morning and according to the company in China, that I ordered the AD724s from, those parts should arrive within the next 10 days. Until then, here's one to look at. The Euro in the picture isn't a reminder to those who haven't yet paid :D rather so that you can see it's relative size.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Bryce

Well lots of people expressed an interest in getting it inside a CPC / MP2 / Other small things, so I came up with a mix of SMD and standard components to squeeze it down as much as I could. It still has all the function and quality of the original, it's just smaller. I also even added a by-pass diode, so that if you do happen to connect the power/signals incorrectly, it will survive. And believe me, it's easier and less time consuming to make things bigger, those SMD parts are a pain in the ass to hand solder.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Quote from: Bryce on 20:49, 29 March 11
And believe me, it's easier and less time consuming to make things bigger, those SMD parts are a pain in the ass to hand solder.
Bryce.

After all, have you ever looked into finding a company that produces complete populated PCBs? Is it still too expensive for small runs?