News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Who's interested in having an S-Video Modulator?

Started by Bryce, 14:53, 24 March 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

MaV

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:03, 06 April 11
Awwww there goes Xmas...

Not really. Bryce uses the Julian calendar, so it's just two weeks later like christmas in some orthodox churches (russian, serbian, bulgarian). :P
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Bryce

I actually worship the Silicon God of CMOS, so Christmas for me actually happens approximately 4000 times a second, which is known as the feast of the clock-cycle. Costs a fortune in presents :D

Bryce.

Bryce

Latest Update:

The last awaited components (The AD724s from China) arrived today :) Now all I have to do is start soldering everything together, I will start later this week and hopefully send out the first devices at the weekend :) I will inform each person individually when theirs has been sent.

Bryce.

MaV

Quote from: Bryce on 08:57, 18 April 11
Latest Update:

The last awaited components (The AD724s from China) arrived today :) Now all I have to do is start soldering everything together, I will start later this week and hopefully send out the first devices at the weekend :) I will inform each person individually when theirs has been sent.

Bryce.

All hail the Silicon God of CMOS! His presents have finally arrived. Let's slaughter some TTL-Chips on his altar!

;)
MaV
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Gryzor

Bryce

To those concerned: Despite many many distractions, including really good weather, several hangovers, having the inlaws over and not to mention the countless sleepless nights worrying that Gryzor thinks about me while he's under the shower :D I still managed to get some stuff done at the weekend. These will be sent out tomorrow and I'll hopefully get some time to build some more later in the week.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Yeeeees! :)

I thought I'd mention this, since it's very cool: a scanlines generator!!! Expensive, but really nice.

Bryce

I use one of these: http://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/OTA4ODcyOTk-/Computer_und_Zubehoer/Hardware/Monitore/Video_zu_VGA_Konverter_Box_PREMIUMBLUE_V2V.html
Much cheaper and offers all the inputs you need. My CPC and other 8-bitters are connected to a PC LCD Monitor using this (through the AD724 first).

Bryce.

Gryzor

No - you don't get it, it's not the same functionality. What the one in my link does is generate scanlines so that you have a more faithful visual representation on modern screens. It's not a multi input/output device.

Still, nice and good price!

Bryce

Oh, ok. I don't need one of those. Happy with the picture as it is :)

Bryce.

Devilmarkus

When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Bryce

Well you'll be able to connect the S-VHS modulator directly to the PC with this and record it too in very good quality.

Bryce.

CPCIak

Got mine this morning. It looks professional, I'll test it next weekend (if it keeps raining).
Good work & thanks a lot, Bryce :D

Bryce

Cool. But, the weather forecast for the weekend is 24C and sunny, so I doubt you'll get any testing done :D I certainly won't be indoors :)

Bryce.

CPCIak

24°C - really? BTW Is it possible to get a pre-soldered cable for external connection? The local electronic supply has just closed its doors, so I have to order everything online at Conrad or Reichelt.

Bryce

Well I don't intend building any connection cables, but everything you need is available on Reichelt for both Classic and Plus CPCs. For the 6way connection to the Modulator PCB I would recommend this connector:

http://www.reichelt.de/Platinen-Steckverbinder/PS-25-8G-WS/index.html?;ACTION=3;LA=2;ARTICLE=14831;GROUPID=3224;SID=13Tbf0sX8AAAIAABF8N9gdb2968004c08f80ab8428a1adc7eeb35

It has a short flylead with all the terminals crimped which saves some time and effort. It's not available in 6-pole, but that's not a problem, as there are no components either side of the header on the PCB. You can remove the extra wires completely or even cut the connector to the right length if you want. The wires are also colour coded, so you can swap them around to something more sensible so that it matches the RGB inputs etc.

Bryce.

Shredder11

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:04, 26 April 11
Yeeeees! :)

I thought I'd mention this, since it's very cool: a scanlines generator!!! Expensive, but really nice.

That looks quite dinky and cool.  I currently use a Geniatech Supera Color HD Standalone External TV Tuner Box for LCD Monitors (19201200 Max Res) http://www.dealtoworld.com/goods-3655-Geniatech+Supera+Color+HD+Standalone+External+TV+Tuner+Box+for+LCD+Monitors+%2819201200+Max+Res%29++.html

This is a similar price and works well with most things.  Anyone who is familar with using an Atari ST in medium resolution, will know how difficult it is to display properly using other video boxes.  The Supera HD does it flawlessly.
Amstrad CPC6128, 3.5" Ext' Floppy, SD HxC Floppy Emulator

Devilmarkus

Today my modulator also arrived!  ;D :D

Also my ordered Audio-Video grabber arrived today, too.

So I quickly connected my CPC via composite video to the grabber and took a few captures.
Surely the composite signal is not so good but it's even much better than captured from my old TV-card.

Will go now and buy a few necessary cables...

So stay tuned for HQ-videos ;)

The attached image shows the CPC output in a worser quality than it's really is. I had to make a quickly retouching because of overlay mode. (Video  output is not visible in screenshots)

Gryzor

Just got mine, too! :)

Just a question: if you install it internally, how do you fix it in place so that you have a normal port at the back?

Bryce

I'll post some diagrams later with suggestions on how to mount the PCB.

Bryce.

Edit: There's two ways of fixing the Modulator inside a CPC using the two holes in the PCB. You can either use these holes to fix the PCB to the bottom of the case using M3 screws, but you will need to put some spacers between the PCB and the casing so that the components underneath the PCB aren't being crushed.

The other option is to use right-angle brackets such as these ones: http://www.reichelt.de/Befestigungssaetze/SV-WMG/index.html?;ACTION=3;LA=2;ARTICLE=19873;GROUPID=3212;SID=11Tbkvin8AAAIAADl1-jM423d0aa9e46badc213a5dcc631411a62
Using two of these you'll need to drill two 3mm holes either side of the hole you've made for the socket.

Devilmarkus

Here's a screenshot of the actual quality.
I built-in the modulator into my CPC+ ;)
Its easy to install and also to connect to an Audio-Video grabber.

Devilmarkus

Devilmarkus

Of course, MODE 2 must not hide...
Looks well, too!

arnoldemu

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 15:10, 28 April 11
Of course, MODE 2 must not hide...
Looks well, too!
great captures. This one really does it justice.
The capture of burning rubber is nice and clean and Markus's capture is great with synced video.
The quality of the image in mode 2 is really good too, proving this hardware is the business.

Nice work Bryce for the hardware.
Nice work Markus to show it off.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource