News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Who's interested in having an S-Video Modulator?

Started by Bryce, 14:53, 24 March 11

Previous topic - Next topic

andycadley, Gryzor and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Bryce

Well technically PAL is a 625 Line (576 visible + 49 hidden) 25fps analogue signal, the S-Video ouput of the Modulator produces this exact format too. If you are using the Modulator on an Analogue CRT TV, you will be really seeing 576 lines (if you have good enough eyes :) ). However modern LCD TVs re-sample the picture to a format suitable for it's display. To avoid complications (and because the TV doesn't know exactly what it's receiving), they usually automatically choose the lowest resolution ie:480i when an analogue signal is being received. Some TVs will let you manually change the resolution, but it may not noticably improve the picture quality.

I can add some more technical details on the Wiki page if anyones interested, but I didn't want to over-complicate the page.

Bryce.

redbox

Quote from: MaV on 09:38, 12 May 11
The bottom line is: If you have a tv that shows a black&white picture with scart, try to find a menu item that activates S-Video on Scart. If that doesn't help try the composite pins + the capacitor as described in the wiki.

I haven't tried my modulator yet (damn kids) but checked out my TV which along with an S-Video input does have these options for Scart - either 'normal' Scart or Scart(S) which the manual says stands for S-Video over Scart.

Now just need some time to get the soldering iron out  >:(

Shredder11

Yeah Ghosts & Goblins did not display properly for me either with my MP-1 modulator back in the 80s.  Another game was Cobra the scramble type game with fast smooth horizontal scrolling, but the colour flickered on and off; great game though!
Amstrad CPC6128, 3.5" Ext' Floppy, SD HxC Floppy Emulator

arnoldemu

Quote from: Shredder11 on 14:26, 12 May 11
Yeah Ghosts & Goblins did not display properly for me either with my MP-1 modulator back in the 80s.  Another game was Cobra the scramble type game with fast smooth horizontal scrolling, but the colour flickered on and off; great game though!
Both use the same method to smoothly scroll the screen.
(CRTC Register 3 - hsync and vsync width)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

MaV

So, I've built a connector from the DIN socket to the modulator, in order to use one modulator with many CPCs. The 5 volt wire is soldered on the board now. I have to look for a one wire connector this Saturday. That way I won't need to mod the CPC case. Instead I'll glue the connector in the corner right below the disk port.

And then I'll have to build a case for the modulator itself.

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Bryce

Why don't you just take the 5V by putting a plug and socket between the CPC 5V supply?

Bryce.

MaV

Quote from: Bryce on 21:48, 12 May 11
Why don't you just take the 5V by putting a plug and socket between the CPC 5V supply?

I've been thinking about that. The socket I have right here looks the same as the one soldered on the board and would make for an awkward solution.  :(

Bryce

Yeah, but there are inline (cable mounted) sockets available like this one: http://www.reichelt.de/Hohlstecker/HK-21/index.html?;ACTION=3;LA=2;ARTICLE=35259;GROUPID=3258
which makes it a little neater. Or if you intend putting the Modulator in a box later, then the socket could be a panel mounted version on the modulators case. Like this one: http://www.reichelt.de/Hohlstecker/HEBLM-21/index.html?;ACTION=3;LA=2;ARTICLE=35268;GROUPID=3258

Bryce.

MaV

Quote from: Bryce on 21:58, 12 May 11Or if you intend putting the Modulator in a box later, then the socket could be a panel mounted version on the modulators case. Like this one: http://www.reichelt.de/Hohlstecker/HEBLM-21/index.html?;ACTION=3;LA=2;ARTICLE=35268;GROUPID=3258

That is the idea.  :) I'll be searching for such a socket.

BTW, maximum continuous current 0,3A at 30V (= 9W) ... that'll be 1.8A at 5V? Just about enough. ;)

MiguelSky

Ok, I just tried the mine in a 32" LCD Philips TV working fine :) But the actual use of CPC is in a LG MonitorTV that has not S-Video connector. Tomorrow I'll seek that adapter MaV said, I will tell you the results...

Bryce

Quote from: MaV on 22:09, 12 May 11
BTW, maximum continuous current 0,3A at 30V (= 9W) ... that'll be 1.8A at 5V? Just about enough. ;)

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about that connector getting hot. Unless you intend supplying the entire TV through it too :)

Btw, I went one step further on mine, I put a 4 pin molex connector on the box (ATX power supply input) and put 2x 5V (Standard and Plus CPC) and a 12V socket for the 6128. That way it can be used on every type of CPC :)

Why do so many people have LG? Their port support is one of the worst.

@Miguelsky: How was the picture on the philips? Happy with the quality?

Bryce.

Gryzor

Quote from: Bryce on 07:50, 13 May 11

Why do so many people have LG? Their port support is one of the worst.

...because they make decent devices at decent prices? :D I've got a high-end Sony, don't get me started about its ports!

Johnny Olsen

Quote from: Bryce on 07:50, 13 May 11

Btw, I went one step further on mine, I put a 4 pin molex connector on the box (ATX power supply input) and put 2x 5V (Standard and Plus CPC) and a 12V socket for the 6128. That way it can be used on every type of CPC :)

Picture please

MiguelSky

Quote from: Bryce on 07:50, 13 May 11@Miguelsky: How was the picture on the philips? Happy with the quality?
The Philips shows the CPC great, practically same than RGB :) .
I bought the S-Video to SCART adapter today for the LG MonitorTV. In the first SCART socket it is B/W, in the second is colored but not good quality, worse than RGB with 5V+resistor option I use now. I wanted to change to S-Video to get quality similar to that Philips give, as LG shows a very little blur as you can see in photos at cpcmania.com (TV SCART) , I have the same model of monitor, LG M228WD ;).
Now I will try to find an S-Video to composite adapter to try too.

MaV

Quote from: MiguelSky on 02:47, 14 May 11
Now I will try to find an S-Video to composite adapter to try too.

The quality won't improve. It will be practically the same that you have now with the S-Video to Scart adapter. :(

MaV

All right! Everybody call me stupid! My wife reminded me that we have an LCD in the basement, and I checked and it has an S-Video socket.  ::)

The picture is nice, crisp and it even shows the interlaced picture of the Batman Forever demo which the LGs with the scart cable (and composite mode) can't.

Unfortunately the TV flickers sometimes (slight movement of the picture to the left or right). It's a Hisense LCD1933EU.

Bryce

@Miguelsky: An S-Video to composite will give you the same blurred picture. It definitely won't be as sharp as S-Video.

Here's a picture of my external version. I was sure I'd posted this before, but I can't find it any more?
The power comes from an ATX PC PSU. The Brown Monitor plug is for the Plus, the grey one for Classic CPC. There are two 5V outputs, one for Plus, one for Classic. The socket on the left hand side (beside the grey cable) is 12V for the Classic 6128 and the socket at the front is the stereo sound output from the Plus. The S-Video output is beside the ATX cable, so it can't be seen in this picture. There's only one Modulator inside with everything connected in parallel. So one unit fits every type of CPC :)

Bryce.

MaV

Alright! After a fumble-fest extraordinaire I finally managed to finish my S-Video modulator box.

Following Bryce's advice, I included the 5v external source in the box to be able to power the modulator as well as the CPC (seen in picture 1 in action). On the lower edge of picture one (and seen from the side of picture 3) you can see a socket for the CPC's monitor. This way I can watch both the GT65's output and the S-Video output at the same time.

The other side of the box contains the 12v line, for the CPCs that have no HxC-Floppy emu. This part is a bit of a kludge as it's place would have been on the other side right beside the 5v socket and plug, with the S-Video board being at the place of the 12v sockets. But I don't plan to use the 12v sockets often.

The 12v cable will be plugged into the GT65 while the socket at the side is for external power units which usually have the 12v positive pole within and minus at the outside, which is opposite to the CPCs 12v source.

I still have to fasten the monitor socket with two screws and glue the cables to the box. Works fine.

Gryzor

This is a really great job! You should consider making and selling some :)

Bryce

Very nicely done. Expect many E-Mails now asking you to build one for them :)

Bryce.

Shredder11

Damn that does look good!  However I shall stick with my plan to install inside my Amstrad MP-1 TV modulator case;  a bulky and less attractive version of the MaV case! :D

Devilmarkus

My 2nd modulator arrived today!
Thankyou much Bryce for your great work!
Will put it into my MP2 so it will have 2 monitor plugs and 3 different output signals: regular mp2 video signal, composite and S-video...
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Bryce

That's just showing off :D (and overkill)

Bryce.

Shredder11

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 16:20, 18 May 11
My 2nd modulator arrived today!
Thankyou much Bryce for your great work!
Will put it into my MP2 so it will have 2 monitor plugs and 3 different output signals: regular mp2 video signal, composite and S-video...

Photos and info would be great if you could, as I might emulate yours too!  8)

MaV

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:15, 18 May 11
This is a really great job! You should consider making and selling some :)

I suppose I could make a couple (3-4 at most). That took quite some time, and now that I have a functional colour CPC, I'd like to concentrate my efforts on programming the CPC again.