News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

AA Type-in - Does anyone remember?

Started by CraigsBar, 23:43, 09 July 16

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Hi Folks,

I seem to vagely remember a AA Type-In that enables characters to be drawn at 3 or 4 times normal size from basic, possibly even in 3 different colours (Mode 1)? Am I remembering falsely or can anyone else remember this, and if so, which AA might I find it.

I could use sucha routine for an M4 board program I am thinking of, but Ideally I don't want to reinvent the wheel if you know what I mean ;)

Craig

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

AMSDOS

Quote from: CraigsBar on 23:43, 09 July 16
Hi Folks,

I seem to vagely remember a AA Type-In that enables characters to be drawn at 3 or 4 times normal size from basic, possibly even in 3 different colours (Mode 1)? Am I remembering falsely or can anyone else remember this, and if so, which AA might I find it.

I could use sucha routine for an M4 board program I am thinking of, but Ideally I don't want to reinvent the wheel if you know what I mean ;)

Craig

Unsure because AA had quite a few of these programs, the program I'm thinking of which offers 2 different colours is Bigprint from AA57, though that's double height print and works in BASIC as a RSX, so when you say BASIC, was the one you were after written in BASIC? The other program which offers different heights is the Variable Height program from AA17, which is on the wiki and is written in BASIC.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

CraigsBar

Either will do, I don't mind an RSX, I'll take a look at both of those and see where I get too. Thanks, watch this space!

Bryce

Yup, there was a few of them. I remember having typed one in and I'm pretty sure I still have it on tape or disk. Will check when I have time.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

OK, varheight is too slow for what I have in mind. I am gonna check the RSX one tomorrow... Need to type it in first!

||C|-|E||

I think that I have a routine for that as well in an ASM book, I will have a look!  :)

AMSDOS

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 11:40, 12 July 16
I think that I have a routine for that as well in an ASM book, I will have a look!  :)

Interesting. Would be interesting to compare it to the BIGPRINT program from AA57. I notice it was converted using the Data Creator type-in from AA50, but it could well be original.

Your Computer Programs

CraigsBar

I'll get typing tonight. And attach it to the relevant wiki type-in page.

CraigsBar

Typed it in. And it works, next problem...

Is there a way to send the output of a bar command (such as |dir) to a variable so it can be passed to |bigprint. I was sure this was possible without reading the output back in from the screen but I now cannot find out how!

If only this were valid..

A$=|dir,"*.bin"

Craig

andycadley

I don't believe so. The "output" of an RSX is simply a side effect, it's not really "returned" in any meaningful sense.

It is possible to write an RSX such that it returns data into a variable, but it has to be specifically coded to do so.

CraigsBar

Quote from: andycadley on 17:43, 13 July 16
I don't believe so. The "output" of an RSX is simply a side effect, it's not really "returned" in any meaningful sense.

It is possible to write an RSX such that it returns data into a variable, but it has to be specifically coded to do so.

Since I made the same request to @Duke to add it to the |time command (My potential project needs both you see) woudl it be possible to provide some background as to how. He was hoping for insite in returning a variable from an RSX :)

Ideally I'd be perfect to have somethng like

|time,a$

which would populate a$ with the time and date string. Once there I can use left$, right$ etc to mainipulate to my needs.

Anything you can offer as assistance woudl be great

Duke

Made this for you. It pokes in a little assembler function, which you call, it'll store the timestamp at 0x908B, from there I think you can put it into a var using peek?

10 FOR a=&9000 TO &908A
20 READ b: POKE a,b
30 NEXT
40 CALL &9000
50 IF PEEK(&908A) = 255 THEN PRINT"M4 not found!":END
60 FOR c=&908B TO &90A1: PRINT CHR$(PEEK(c));:NEXT
70 DATA &F3,&1,&84,&7F,&ED,&49,&3A,&8A,&90,&FE,&FF,&CC,&4B,&90,&FE,&FF,&C4,&1F,&90,&1,&8C,&7F,&ED,&49,&1,&0,&DF,&ED,&49,&FB,&C9,&1,&0,&DF,&ED,&79,&3E,&2,&1,&0,&FE,&11,& 24,&43,&ED,&79,&ED,&59,&ED,&51,&1,&0,&FC,&ED,&49,&21,&2,&FF,&5E,&23,&56,&EB
80 DATA &1,&3,&0,&9,&11,&8B,&90,&1,&16,&0,&ED,&B0,&C9,&F3,&FD,&21,&82,&90,&16,&7F,&D5,&1,&0,&DF,&ED,&51,&3A,&0,&C0,&FE,&1,&20,&1C,&3A,&4,&C0,&6F,&3A,&5,&C0,&67,&FD,&E5,&D1,&1A,&AE,&20,&D,&1A,&23,&13,&E6,&80,&28,&F5,&D1,&7A,&32,&8A,&90,&C9
90 DATA &D1,&15,&20,&D3,&3E,&FF,&C9,&4D,&34,&20,&42,&4F,&41,&52,&C4,&FF

And here is the assembler source too, if its any help:

org    &9000
            nolist
            di
            ld    bc,&7F84
            out    (c),c
            ld    a,(m4_rom_num)
            cp    &FF
            call    z,find_m4_rom
            cp    &FF
            call    nz,get_time
            ld    bc,&7F8C
            out    (c),c
            ld    bc,&DF00
            out    (c),c
            ei
            ret
get_time:                    ; a = rom number
            ld    bc,&DF00
            out    (c),a
            ld    a,2        ; out going size
            ld     bc,&FE00    ; data port
            ld    de,&4324    ; C_TIME command
            out    (c),a
            out    (c),e
            out    (c),d
            ld    bc,&FC00    ; ack port
            out    (c),c

ld    hl,&FF02    ; get response buffer address
            ld    e,(hl)
            inc    hl
            ld    d,(hl)
            ex    de,hl
            ld    bc,#3    ; skip check bytes
            add    hl,bc
            ld    de,time_stamp
            ld    bc,22
            ldir            ; copy time stamp to ram

ret

find_m4_rom:
            di
            ld    iy,m4_rom_name    ; rom identification line
            ld    d,127        ; start looking for from (counting downwards)

romloop:        push    de
            ld    bc,&DF00
            out    (c),d        ; select rom

ld    a,(&C000)
            cp    1
            jr    nz, not_this_rom

; get rsxcommand_table

ld    a,(&C004)
            ld    l,a
            ld    a,(&C005)
            ld    h,a
            push    iy
            pop    de
cmp_loop:
            ld    a,(de)
            xor    (hl)            ; hl points at rom name
            jr    nz, not_this_rom
            ld    a,(de)
            inc    hl
            inc    de
            and    &80
            jr    z,cmp_loop

; rom found, store the rom number

pop    de            ;  rom number
            ld     a,d
            ld    (m4_rom_num),a
            ret

not_this_rom:
            pop    de
            dec    d
            jr    nz,romloop
            ld    a,255        ; not found!
            ret

m4_rom_name:    db "M4 BOAR",&C4        ; D | &80
m4_rom_num:    db    &FF
time_stamp:    ds    22           

TFM

Quote from: Duke on 19:12, 13 July 16
            ld    bc,&7F0C
            out    (c),c

You set pen 12, why?  :-X
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Duke

Should have been 8C :)
Not even sure what state I should leave it in when returning back to basic, it doesn't crash eitherway it seems.

TFM

Quote from: Duke on 19:29, 13 July 16
Not even sure what state I should leave it in when returning back to basic, it doesn't crash eitherway it seems.

Well, I'm not so much in firmware since I mostly use another OS, but firmware should have a function like "ask RAM-ROM state", so you can save the RAM/ROM state and switch back to it later.

Better: use the firmware function to "enable upper ROM", so you don't even have to bother with RAM-ROM mapping.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Duke

That'd probably be the best way yes, someone less rusty than me are welcome to change it (and maybe cut the size down too) :)
Quote from: TFM on 19:36, 13 July 16

Well, I'm not so much in firmware since I mostly use another OS, but firmware should have a function like "ask RAM-ROM state", so you can save the RAM/ROM state and switch back to it later.

Better: use the firmware function to "enable upper ROM", so you don't even have to bother with RAM-ROM mapping.  :)

andycadley

The "correct" way to handle banking is to use a FAR CALL (Rst 3) instruction, with an appropriate far call address, which can be found using KL FIND COMMAND. Somebody who has done it more recently than I can probably remember it better (or point to a good web link!)

As for passing parameters back from RSX's, it relies on you manipulating the memory associated with a variable when it is passed using the @ syntax. Strings are more troublesome, since all you get is a pointer to a string description block (containing the length and address where the string is actually stored) and you aren't allowed to modify the descriptor. In essence, that means your string variable needs to already be set up with a long enough content to hold whatever you wish to pass back.

So for a command like |DoSomething,@a$ you'd get the address and length of a$ with something like:

LD L,(IX+0)
LD H,(IX+1) ; HL = address of string descriptor

LD A,(HL); A = length of string
INC HL
LD E, (HL)
INC HL
LD D,(HL) => DE = address of string contents

From there you can manipulate the memory pointed to by DE to return your results. You are responsible for not writing more than the length of the string though, if you do things will probably not got well....

Duke

Ok thanks @andycadley .

@CraigsBar: I hope the call &9000 will do, as the other seems a bit of mess :) 

CraigsBar

I'll have a play in the coming days and let you know.

AMSDOS

---

Your Computer Programs

CraigsBar

EgoTrip

Quote from: CraigsBar on 12:23, 14 July 16
Damn I wish I knew what this said ;)

He renounced the CPC and devoted himself to the C64. Then he realised the error of his ways. The scary thing is it took him 14 minutes to come to that realisation.

CraigsBar

Quote from: EgoTrip on 16:25, 14 July 16
He renounced the CPC and devoted himself to the C64. Then he realised the error of his ways. The scary thing is it took him 14 minutes to come to that realisation.
[emoji38]

Zoe Robinson

Took 14 minutes? That's how long it takes for the C64 to load anything, isn't it?  :P

CraigsBar

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 19:56, 14 July 16
Took 14 minutes? That's how long it takes for the C64 to load anything, isn't it?  [emoji14]
ROFL ;)