News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Arkos Tracker 2 - Released!

Started by Targhan, 14:38, 05 November 17

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

While converting a bunch of my STarKos SKS files to AKS and rendering to WAV I found a bug:

Often when I load my track and render to WAV, the WAV will start playing sounds that aren't in the track.

I can fix it by setting a volume 0 on the channels that does this, but this isn't a good option when the start-track is used again later.

Targhan

@mr_lou Mmmh, can you give a SKS file where that problem occurs? Do you mean that when you play the song in AT2, there are notes that are NOT heard, and when rendering to WAV, you can HEAR them? If yes, this is a crazy paranormal bug.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Quote from: Targhan on 22:03, 30 September 19
@mr_lou Mmmh, can you give a SKS file where that problem occurs? Do you mean that when you play the song in AT2, there are notes that are NOT heard, and when rendering to WAV, you can HEAR them? If yes, this is a crazy paranormal bug.

I will mail one or two of them to you... :-)  Thanks
It is tones that aren't in the track, and is played in the very beginning of the wav. Kinda like if you type a SOUND command in BASIC without calling RELEASE 7 first, so there are waiting audio to "come out".
It happens even if I reboot the whole system, load Arkos Tracker 2, load the track and export to wav without playing first. So yea, it's pretty weird.

mr_lou

Should backspace delete the line I'm currently on? Just like Protracker and Fasttracker? Doesn't seem to work here on Linux?

EDIT: And also: Is there no way to change a row of octave 7 to a lower octave? (Transpose). I know you can transpose elsewhere, but the row is still showing octave 7. I wanna transpose to a different octave without using that other transpose thingy. I wanna be able to transpose a certain instrument through all patterns - the whole song.

Targhan

Backspace deletes what is under the cursor. Deleting the whole line (3 tracks) is not possible, because it is dangerous, as track can be used elsewhere in the song, contrary to other trackers.

About the transposition, I don't really understand. Select what you want to transpose and Ctrl+up/down (+shift for an octave). What do you mean by "using that other transpose thingy"?"
As for transposing certain instrument through the songs, it's a good idea and I want in a lot-no-far-release to have some kind of toolbox (like Renoise) to make such actions on the selection/track/pattern/song.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Quote from: Targhan on 19:01, 13 October 19
Backspace deletes what is under the cursor. Deleting the whole line (3 tracks) is not possible, because it is dangerous, as track can be used elsewhere in the song, contrary to other trackers.

Backspace does nothing for me whatsoever. It's as if it's just not working.
DEL buttons deletes but moves all rows up. INSERT can put them back down. But Backspace doesn't do anything at all. I expect it to move one row down and delete that row at the same time, but it doesn't do anything.
I checked in Config that it is set to "Delete line".

Quote from: Targhan on 19:01, 13 October 19
About the transposition, I don't really understand. Select what you want to transpose and Ctrl+up/down (+shift for an octave). What do you mean by "using that other transpose thingy"?"
As for transposing certain instrument through the songs, it's a good idea and I want in a lot-no-far-release to have some kind of toolbox (like Renoise) to make such actions on the selection/track/pattern/song.

I don't want to use "Transposition -5" on C-7.
I want to change C-7 to e.g. C-6 in the actual pattern.

I can tell you what it is I'm experimenting with:
As you probably remember, I have this fetish; create multiple filetype versions of my tracks.
I want to make an XM + a MOD + MP3 + OGG + MIDI + XMF + SMAFF etc etc.
And now I'm thinking about including AKS in that process. And I'm thinking about doing it like this:
When I have the MOD version, simply load that into Arkos Tracker 2, and replace all samples with PSG instruments.
That was I don't have to start from scratch. I'll have the patterns, which will only require minor editing. I just have to replace the samples with PSG instruments.

But the octaves in the imported MOD are really high. A C-5 in the MOD becomes a C-7 in the AKS. It's not enough to just replace the instruments. They also have to be transposed about 4 octaves down to match a PSG sound.
Milkytracker has a nice feature here. I can transpose ALL instruments in the whole song any number of tones. The immediate thought is then of course to transpose in Milkytracker before import in Arkos Tracker 2 - but Arkos Tracker 2 can't figure out how to import the correct tones if I use octaves outside MOD standard. Lowest note must be C-3. Anything lower and the import is messed up.

Targhan

QuoteBackspace does nothing for me whatsoever. It's as if it's just not working. buttons deletes but moves all rows up. INSERT can put them back down. But Backspace doesn't do anything at all. I expect it to move one row down and delete that row at the same time, but it doesn't do anything.

Well it's working on all platform here, I'm sorry. Are you sure the Record button is "on"? But if it weren't, you couldn't insert/delete. Could you try to map the Delete to another key, just to see if it works better?

>I don't want to use "Transposition -5" on C-7.
>I want to change C-7 to e.g. C-6 in the actual pattern

Ctrl+Shift+Up and down transpose an octave on the selection. Transposing the whole song will be done in the toolbox I talked about.

From memory, the MODs are transposed indeed on import, for a problem of frequency matching (I don't remember the details, I'm sorry. Maybe this can be improved).

QuoteArkos Tracker 2 can't figure out how to import the correct tones if I use octaves outside MOD standard
And that, I will not change however.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Quote from: Targhan on 20:04, 13 October 19
Well it's working on all platform here, I'm sorry. Are you sure the Record button is "on"? But if it weren't, you couldn't insert/delete. Could you try to map the Delete to another key, just to see if it works better?

I tried mapping it to key ½ and then 4. Neither of them worked.
Back to backspace. Still didn't work.
Then tried "Reset to defaults", which changed "backspace" to "delete" - and now it works.
So delete = backspace in the defaults.... but when I press backspace myself in settings, it doesn't work.

CyrilAmstrad

Quote from: Targhan on 20:04, 13 October 19

>I don't want to use "Transposition -5" on C-7.
>I want to change C-7 to e.g. C-6 in the actual pattern

Ctrl+Shift+Up and down transpose an octave on the selection. Transposing the whole song will be done in the toolbox I talked about.

From memory, the MODs are transposed indeed on import, for a problem of frequency matching (I don't remember the details, I'm sorry. Maybe this can be improved).
And that, I will not change however.

Hi Targhan,

vraiment bravo pour Arkos 2 ,
J'ai une question , je travaille sur un fichier RAW (mod player) .
J'ai utilisé ton très bon player MOD CPC .
Cependant je voulais y intégrer un test de touche (Fire) dans la routine ASM que tu as fourni .
mais il semble que le PLAY_MOD_STOP ne soit pas reconnu ....
De plus même le test de touche , rend inactif le player , comme si le Jr mainloop ne fonctionne plus lorsque j'ajoute une routine de test de touche .

C'est pour la RGC dans 15 jours , je pense que tu peux certainement m'éclairer .
merci et encore bravo pour Arkos que j'utilise fréquemment.

If any members should ask i could also ASAP translate in English as well ;)
Amstradiens Facebook Group
AMSTRAD CPC/ _+ /GX4000
Amstradiens Channel

Targhan

Thanks!

What is PLAY_MOD_Stop? I don't think it exists.
You should normally be able to test a key just after the call PLY_MOD_Play, BUT there is a trick: accessing the keyboard changes the selected PSG register, so you have select it back again!

Here is a snippet that works (I didn't test it on a real CPC, please do it on my behalf :)).

MainLoop:
        ld bc,#7f10
        out (c),c
        ld a,#4b
        out (c),a

call PLY_MOD_Play

;Checks a line of the keyboard.
;IN:    A = line + 64.
;OUT:   A = key mask.
        ld a,5 + 64             ;Tests SPACE.
Keyboard:
        ld bc,#f782
        out (c),c
        ld bc,#f40e
        out (c),c
        ld bc,#f6c0
        out (c),c
        out (c),0
        ld bc,#f792
        out (c),c
        dec b
        out (c),a
        ld b,#f4
        in a,(c)
        ld bc,#f782
        out (c),c
        dec b
        out (c),0

cp #7f
        jr z,Exit

;IMPORTANT! On CPC, the keyboard test above changes the selected PSG register, so
        ;we have to select it back, else, no sound!
        ld bc,#f409
        out (c),c
        ld bc,#f6c0
        out (c),c
        out (c),0

ld bc,#7f10
        out (c),c
        ld a,#54
        out (c),a

jr MainLoop

I will add this to the package.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

CyrilAmstrad

Quote from: Targhan on 20:55, 17 November 19
Thanks!

What is PLAY_MOD_Stop? I don't think it exists.
You should normally be able to test a key just after the call PLY_MOD_Play, BUT there is a trick: accessing the keyboard changes the selected PSG register, so you have select it back again!

Here is a snippet that works (I didn't test it on a real CPC, please do it on my behalf :)).

MainLoop:
        ld bc,#7f10
        out (c),c
        ld a,#4b
        out (c),a

call PLY_MOD_Play

;Checks a line of the keyboard.
;IN:    A = line + 64.
;OUT:   A = key mask.
        ld a,5 + 64             ;Tests SPACE.
Keyboard:
        ld bc,#f782
        out (c),c
        ld bc,#f40e
        out (c),c
        ld bc,#f6c0
        out (c),c
        out (c),0
        ld bc,#f792
        out (c),c
        dec b
        out (c),a
        ld b,#f4
        in a,(c)
        ld bc,#f782
        out (c),c
        dec b
        out (c),0

cp #7f
        jr z,Exit

;IMPORTANT! On CPC, the keyboard test above changes the selected PSG register, so
        ;we have to select it back, else, no sound!
        ld bc,#f409
        out (c),c
        ld bc,#f6c0
        out (c),c
        out (c),0

ld bc,#7f10
        out (c),c
        ld a,#54
        out (c),a

jr MainLoop

I will add this to the package.

Hi Targhan  !
thank you very much for the fast answer and efficient trick !

AAhhhhh i understand .... indeed my Keyboard test was fine and the player ran but no sound as you said : excactly !
Due to PSG selection conflict !! you snip well the problem , that's why !
I will try soon and on behalf of you or course ;)
Yes indeed , this add on on your package could be useful for some other users  :)

I hope to test this evening , but almost sure this point will work fine !

Last topic and question :
On rasm this palyer makes a SNA file (snapshot)
I remove it in order to make a  bin file .
But Org #100 looks to low (memory not available there) .

Any advice for a proper position and BIN building    and     Call ?

Again , really enjoy your last version of Arkos 2

Thanks again
Cyrille
AMSTRAD CPC/ _+ /GX4000
Amstradiens Channel

Targhan

#100 is OK when you RUN your code in Basic (you can RUN a code as low as #40), why do you need to use LOAD and then CALL?
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Quote from: Targhan on 22:03, 30 September 19

Any news regarding this? I want to put these tracks on IGM, but I can't render the wav because of this bug.
I mailed you the files. Were you able to reproduce what I'm experiencing?

Targhan

@mr_lou No news because I never received your files! Could you send them again please?
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Quote from: Targhan on 19:18, 19 November 19
@mr_lou No news because I never received your files! Could you send them again please?

Ok, sent again now, to contact at julien-nevo dot com like last time.

Targhan

Got them. Ok, I can reproduce. Without even looking at the code I think I understand why. Interesting bug :).
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Targhan

@mr_lou Ok, bug corrected. I plan on a next release next month, can you wait till then?
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Quote from: Targhan on 20:27, 19 November 19
@mr_lou Ok, bug corrected. I plan on a next release next month, can you wait till then?

Sure.  :)

Targhan

... but if you want a quick solution, simply add a first pattern with 3 tracks containing a "RST" (or an empty sound) to stop all the sounds. You can set the height of this first pattern to 1 for it to be as short as possible.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Quote from: Targhan on 23:56, 19 November 19
... but if you want a quick solution, simply add a first pattern with 3 tracks containing a "RST" (or an empty sound) to stop all the sounds. You can set the height of this first pattern to 1 for it to be as short as possible.

Nah, too lazy, and I can wait. ;-)

CyrilAmstrad

Quote from: Targhan on 14:45, 19 November 19
#100 is OK when you RUN your code in Basic (you can RUN a code as low as #40), why do you need to use LOAD and then CALL?

Indeed but,
When I assemble the Mod player including the music :  the result file  gives a Bin file .

then would like to load like "music",&100 and then call it at &100  .

it is for combine with a &c000 page screen with music :)

thnaks again !

AMSTRAD CPC/ _+ /GX4000
Amstradiens Channel

Targhan

You can still use the BASIC trick to load program at low location. For example, if you want to load in &800:
10 openout"d":memory &800-1:closeout
20 load"mystuff",&800

But you won't be able to load at an address as low as &100, so you'll have to increase the ORG in the assembler code. This will of course take a bit more data you could use to store samples!

Or you could have the assembler program to load your image in &c000. It's easy using the system calls.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

CyrilAmstrad

Quote from: Targhan on 20:00, 20 November 19
You can still use the BASIC trick to load program at low location. For example, if you want to load in &800:
10 openout"d":memory &800-1:closeout
20 load"mystuff",&800

But you won't be able to load at an address as low as &100, so you'll have to increase the ORG in the assembler code. This will of course take a bit more data you could use to store samples!

Or you could have the assembler program to load your image in &c000. It's easy using the system calls.

You're right , &800 could be a compromise.

I still get "Bad command" when I load" mystuff" on &800 . with different matter as CLosein / Closeout or else.

My file contains 49K , may be need to be split ?  ::)

What looks funny : even bad command noticed on screen , if I call it : it plays !

( but hear one end-sample track seems little glitched) ( maybe have to reduce slightly the padding lenght)

Second/Last point , PSG pointing was great , it works : now have to look to return to Basic in order to Run" a next Basic launcher...

tried some vectors but still freeze and don't turn to "Ready"  ::)

the Mod melody I cook sounds weel by the way lol

thanks again for the further lightings :)

AMSTRAD CPC/ _+ /GX4000
Amstradiens Channel

Targhan

No, you can NOT load a 49k program in Basic! Your problem is that it reaches the top of the memory, compromising the system (which is why it prevents you from doing it). Type PRINT HIMEM to get this value (something like &a7xx).
My advice is to go full assembler, possibly load your next load data in the banks (if you aim for 128k), and copy them in the first 64k when you need to. Forget about returning to Basic! Plus, if you go full assembler, you can load samples up to #c000, which you couldn't do in basic (you still can't load "over" the system. The last part will have to be loaded in a buffer in the banks, the copied in #8000-#bfff when you don't need the system anymore).
I believe what you did "worked" because it tried to load your 49k file, but gave up at the end, so some samples were not loaded.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Targhan

Other possibility, ditch the system and use Arkos Tools to load your files without the system. The only drawback is that you need for example Ramlaid's tool (Windows only) to generate a DSK, put the files on it, sector by sector. Straightforward when you've done it once, but not before! You can find all these tools on the Arkos website.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime