News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Arkos Tracker 2 - Released!

Started by Targhan, 14:38, 05 November 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnaud

Hi,
a little request for player configuration, put 0 when feature is not used :

PLY_CFG_SoftToHard_SoftwareArpeggio = 1
PLY_CFG_SFX_HardOnly = 0 ; NOT USED

SDCC can not evaluate with .if a not defined flag.

And if possible in player configuration add .else for the same reason :

.if PLY_CFG_SFX_SoftAndHard_Noise
                PLY_AKM_SE_HardwareNoise = 1
.else
PLY_AKM_SE_HardwareNoise = 0
        .endif

;       Mixes the Noise flags into one.
        .if PLY_AKM_SE_HardwareNoise ; COMPILATION PB IF PLY_AKM_SE_HardwareNoise NOT SET
                PLY_AKM_SE_Noise = 1
        .endif

Thanks,
Arnaud

Targhan

No, that's impossible for both requests.

First, only the PRESENCE of the flag is tested, that value does not matter. So putting 0 would actually be considered as a "presence".

Second, the configuration is generated for Rasm, not SDCC. All the files are meant to be assembled, then "Disarked" if needed, so in my opinion there is no point in having a SDCC config file.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Arnaud

Hi,
i'm trying to compile only the PlayerAkm and PlayerAkm_SoundEffects for SDCC following the tutorial (without song and fx because they will be compressed) :

;Compiles the player, the music and sfxs, using RASM.
;No ORG needed.

include "Grenade_playerconfig.asm" ;Optional.

;Comment/delete this line if not using sound effects.
    PLY_AKG_MANAGE_SOUND_EFFECTS = 1

;This is the player.
    include "PlayerAkg.asm"

And i have the following errors :

Error: [PlayerAkm_SoundEffects.asm:445] Duplicate label [DKBS] - previously defined in [PlayerAkm_SoundEffects.asm:435]
Error: [PlayerAkm_SoundEffects.asm:450] Duplicate label [DKBE] - previously defined in [PlayerAkm_SoundEffects.asm:442]
Error: [PlayerAkm_SoundEffects.asm:77] expression [(PLY_AKM_PTSOUNDEFFECTTABLE+PLY_AKM_OFFSET1B)] keyword [PLY_AKM_OFFSET1B] not found in variables, labels or aliases
Error: [PlayerAkm_SoundEffects.asm:164] expression [PLY_AKM_TRACK1_REGISTERS] keyword [PLY_AKM_TRACK1_REGISTERS] not found in variables, labels or aliases
Error: [PlayerAkm_SoundEffects.asm:168] expression [PLY_AKM_TRACK2_REGISTERS] keyword [PLY_AKM_TRACK2_REGISTERS] not found in variables, labels or aliases

When the song is included all is OK.

;No ORG needed.

;This is the music, and its config file.
    include "Grenade.asm"
    include "Grenade_playerconfig.asm" ;Optional.

;What hardware? Uncomment the right one.
    PLY_AKG_HARDWARE_CPC = 1

;Comment/delete this line if not using sound effects.
    PLY_AKG_MANAGE_SOUND_EFFECTS = 1

;This is the player.
    include "PlayerAkg.asm"

How compile only the player ?

Thanks,
Arnaud

Targhan

Mmmh, you are still doing strange thing with my player, don't you ? :)
The DKBS/DKBE is a macro, which RASM should have "erased" to generate some code. Did you try to convert the player "by hand" for SDCC?
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Targhan

Or it is because of the player_config? Can you test with or without it (without the song)?
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Arnaud

Quote from: Targhan on 16:25, 25 March 20
Mmmh, you are still doing strange thing with my player, don't you ? :)
The DKBS/DKBE is a macro, which RASM should have "erased" to generate some code. Did you try to convert the player "by hand" for SDCC?

I have tried, but finally it's not the good solution.

Quote from: Targhan on 16:33, 25 March 20
Or it is because of the player_config? Can you test with or without it (without the song)?

You are right, it's the player_config.
Is a bug or normal ?

Targhan

>I have tried, but finally it's not the good solution.
Well, I don't think it can be done unless a very hard work is done. The AKG player is pretty complex, especially because of the player configuration. And Disark is here!

>Is a bug or normal ?
Certainly not normal! Could you send be ALL the files you used to provoke this? Thanks!
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Any chance you'll ever implement a MOD export option?  :)

Doesn't have to be precise. Just something to load into e.g. Milkytracker and replace the chippy sounds with samples.
For those of us who likes to make multiple filetype versions of a track.  :)  When a game is ported to different platforms etc.

Targhan

No, this will never happen, because it is not the purpose of AT2, I'm sorry.
However, as you are a developer, the AKS format is zipped XML on purpose. If you feel like it, you can parse the XML and generate something else. You can also use the "raw export" option, which exports a very simple binary. Once again, you can parse it and convert it.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

reidrac

Quote from: Targhan on 15:25, 22 March 20
Maybe your keyboard is not a "standard" QWERTY like the one I expect, but more exotic one? Go to File > Setup > Keyboard. At the bottom, select QWERTY and "change layout".
If not better, you can still reprogram the "virtual keyboard" keys in the list above. A bit tedious, but once it's done, it's done. Maybe I can add this "qwerty variation" to the dropdown if that was the problem.

I believe this is a bug, or at least this has changed in the latest version. The bottom keyboard row works, but the top one now has some shortcuts instead of playing the notes.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

mr_lou

Quote from: reidrac on 13:57, 29 March 20
I believe this is a bug, or at least this has changed in the latest version. The bottom keyboard row works, but the top one now has some shortcuts instead of playing the notes.

Possibly a change in the config file between versions. For me it was fixed by re-saving QWERTY layout.

reidrac

Quote from: mr_lou on 13:59, 29 March 20
Possibly a change in the config file between versions. For me it was fixed by re-saving QWERTY layout.

Yes, that fixed it! Thanks.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Targhan

@mr_lou thanks to be part of the support team :).
More seriously though, I have no idea why this problem occurred. There has been more item in the stored preferences, but nothing related to the keyboard. Oh well...
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

remax

Quote from: Targhan on 14:51, 29 March 20
@mr_lou thanks to be part of the support team :) .
More seriously though, I have no idea why this problem occurred. There has been more item in the stored preferences, but nothing related to the keyboard. Oh well...

Perhaps a classic "old cfg file is not totally compatible with new release"...

I'm guessing a clean start without old files wouldn't do it.
Brain Radioactivity

Targhan

And it's time for a new release: Arkos Tracker 2 alpha 9!

It is mostly a "consolidation" release, bugfixes with only small new features. The goal is to get prepared for what's coming next. If everything goes right, I will dub this version the officiel V2.0, as both the software and the players have proved usable and stable!

New small features:
- Now stores the PSG reference frequency (440Hz, for example) as a float for more accuracy.
- Option in the setup to save the AKS file in an uncompressed way (useful to transform the XML more easily).
- Added more warning and error output on the Command Line tools.
- Added an option on some Command Line tools (AKM, LW) to consider all warnings as errors, as a security.

As for the bugs, they are related to the ROM players, Disark, as well as the AKM player, so I strongly suggest you use the new players. Please check the changelog for more information.

You can download the new version here!

As for "what is coming next", I have yet to decide how I want to do exactly, but expect a large overhaul of the whole program, mostly on the user interface side, as I consider the players already powerful and stable. I will present all this in due time (which might take some time, so please be patient). This will take in account most of the feedback that was gathered, and only overhauling some parts of the code will allow to implement gracefully these new features.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback, I'm really glad AT2 gets used by many musicians, both on CPC and other scenes!
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Is there a list somewhere to show what bpm each speed setting is?

I can see on the site that speed 6 = 120 bpm

Is there a more complete list somewhere?

(I may attempt making AKS versions of my tracks in the future, and then it would be beneficial to select a speed that Arkos Tracker 2 "supports")  :)

Targhan

Couldn't find a table about it, but it probably exists somewhere. It's also rather easy to calculate.

Also keep in mind you can switch between speed X and Y (6/5/6/5...) to get a finer speed (I'm sure you know this trick already, as well as using 7/3/7/3... to add shuffle).
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Quote from: Targhan on 18:54, 01 July 20
Couldn't find a table about it, but it probably exists somewhere. It's also rather easy to calculate.

But speed 6 in Arkos Tracker 2 is 120 bpm...?

Quote from: Targhan on 18:54, 01 July 20Also keep in mind you can switch between speed X and Y (6/5/6/5...) to get a finer speed (I'm sure you know this trick already, as well as using 7/3/7/3... to add shuffle).

You mean to constantly put different speeds? Yea, that's what I want to avoid.  :)

Targhan

>But speed 6 in Arkos Tracker 2 is 120 bpm...?

Yes, if the player is called at 50hz. You could have a 300hz player and have more accuracy (but the production will have to use a 300hz player...).

>You mean to constantly put different speeds? Yea, that's what I want to avoid.
This is not always noticeable, don't dismiss this trick too quickly :).
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Quote from: Targhan on 08:09, 02 July 20
>But speed 6 in Arkos Tracker 2 is 120 bpm...?

Yes, if the player is called at 50hz. You could have a 300hz player and have more accuracy (but the production will have to use a 300hz player...).

But... according to the page you link to:Using 4 rows per beat, this equates to 4 X 6 = 24 ticks per beat.  We know that the standard tick duration is 20ms (for a 50Hz timer), so 24 X 20 = 480ms per beat, translating this to Beats Per Minute: 60 / 0.480 = 125BPM
So in Milkytracker and others, speed 6 = 125 bpm. Why then is it 120 bpm in Arkos Tracker 2?

Quote from: Targhan on 08:09, 02 July 20>You mean to constantly put different speeds? Yea, that's what I want to avoid.
This is not always noticeable, don't dismiss this trick too quickly :) .
Oh it's not that I think it'll be noticeable. It's just that if I can escape the work of adding that speed for each pattern, then that's preferred.  ;)

Targhan

QuoteWhy then is it 120 bpm in Arkos Tracker 2?
Because what I posted is wrong, and the bpm is 125.

QuoteOh it's not that I think it'll be noticeable. It's just that if I can escape the work of adding that speed for each pattern, then that's preferred
Are you aware that you only have to do it once, because you can reuse the same Speed Track in every pattern?

Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Quote from: Targhan on 09:27, 02 July 20
Because what I posted is wrong, and the bpm is 125.

Oh, ok then!  :)

Quote from: Targhan on 09:27, 02 July 20Are you aware that you only have to do it once, because you can reuse the same Speed Track in every pattern?

Er..... no.  Well ok then!  :)

Targhan

Arkos Tracker 2.0.0 is officially out today!

You can download it here!

The software is not alpha anymore! This is the first non-alpha release, but the software has already been stable for a long time.

This release is mostly a stabilization issue. Only one (critical but well hidden) bug has been corrected in the software itself, but some important bugs were corrected in the players (AKM especially, and SFXs), so don't hesitate to update your players. All the player sources are now officially MIT-licensed, which basically means you can do almost anything with them.

Thanks to all the developers and musicians using AT2, bug reports and suggestions. AT2 is more and more used (see all the games of RetroDev using it!), which is a great reward to me.

So... What now? Well, something is coming, something huge, but I won't tell about it for now. But I will, probably in a few months, so please me patient. You won't be disappointed :).
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

reidrac

Thanks for this and congratulations for the first 2.0.0 stable release!

I use Arkos 2 now in three platforms: CPC, MSX and ZX Spectrum (WIP).

Arnaud

Quote from: Targhan on 10:38, 21 November 20
So... What now? Well, something is coming, something huge, but I won't tell about it for now. But I will, probably in a few months, so please me patient. You won't be disappointed :).
A clue maybe, game or utility ?  ;D