News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

BBS software / terminal software

Started by Octoate, 20:00, 23 March 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

That's not controversial. Those poor C64 users have been looking at washed out browns for so long, that seeing proper vivid colours could have adverse effects on their eyes. It's like forcing a nocturnal creature to stare at the sun.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Yeah, that was all in good jest I guess, though of course Bryce is spot on.

TFM

Haha! That vid could easily done in CPC Basic.  :)  Nice idea.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

ComSoft6128

Hi,

Just noticed this old thread. Back in the nineties I tried out most of the comm's software available for the CPC. The various CPM programs available were OK but but far the best program was Ansiterm which worked on the 6128 and 6128 Plus - if you are interested have a look at this: http://ewen.mcneill.gen.nz/programs/cpc/ansiterm/

Cheers,

Peter

Gryzor

Is there any video or even images of it running?

ComSoft6128

Unfortunately no video appears to be available :( .
I had a look at it recently but without an RS232 (long gone) attached the single flashing cursor on the CPC screen is not the most exciting thing I have ever seen.
One thing that I used it for was Email, I could log onto CIX, read my mails and reply. Email and the CPC seems never to get a mention but it was possible with the right software.

Cheers,

Peter

Gryzor

Yeah, that's what I thought, that's why I didn't just download the dsk and load it myself :) But it'd be fun to see it in action...

ComSoft6128

Yes that would make for an interesting Vid.

I knew other CPC owners who used the Cage Comms Rom for viewdata systems and CPM software for Bulletin Boards but I'd like to know if anyone else was using a CPC for email?

Cheers,

Peter

arnoldemu

I am resurrecting this thread to mention BBS Terminal which is now on the cpcwiki.

If this hasn't been mentioned already, I think MESS emulator may emulate serial devices, so it may be possible with two instances of MESS to simulate a BBS and a CPC using a terminal program.

EDIT: I have also attempted to setup some categories on the cpcwiki to link BBS, Communication software and hardware together.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

SevenT

Quote from: ChaRleyTroniC on 22:35, 24 May 10

There was also a program called CRR (CP/M Read and Reply) by Paul Martin which was a clever offline reader, so you could download your mail, read it offline, reply and then reconnect to send it. Intended for FidoNET boards, I think.

My God I remember CRR... it was the best proggy around at the time for saving the old BT bill at 500/500 or 12/75. You could dial up and download your Fidonet packet from your local node (mine was Moonmoth at Chiswick  (I was at Twickenham's SCHLOSS WACCI TOWERS at the time) and unpack it, read the messages from your selected areas, read and reply to your own personal messages.

Paul Martin was a CP/M+ computer genius but lacked any single neuron that was attached to a sense of humour... I got in to many a spat with him when he misunderstood my drunken ramblings of admiration (damn that red wine - listen up kids just DON'T DRINK AND CRRive!)

P.S. Since I now live in Canada I can legally get high and CRR instead!  :-]

PPS. Are Fidonet, CRR, Paul Martin or CP/M+ still around???

This has been a slightly drunken diatribe from the keyboard of....  YOURS TRULY....   Royal Air Force Flight Officer (Retired) Steve Williams R.N.  R.G.N.  S.R.N.  S.E.N.  R.M.N.      (Bahhhh....  that's enough bullcrap for now!).......     the former editor and still the sole owner of    WACCI .....     He is also known as    SevenT  or occasionally   he is somewhat   "affectionally"    referred to as     OMG      (Old Misery Guts)  by Joolz........ By The Way does anyone bother to read these signature lines until they get to repeat themselves?.... I'm curious.... How long would you continue to read this?  What if I revealed to you the fact that Auntie John Kennedy was actually a Welsh herbivore who convinced Sinead O'Conner to become a Buddhist Ninja and that Peter Ceresole (the famed WACCI Deputy Editor and ACU writer) was actually Rudolf Khametovich Nureyev  the greatest male ballet dancer of his generation.  Uncle Clive Bellaby was actually a very small mole upon the face of Sir Clive Sinclair... still reading this nonsense?      Oh how I wish we had the INTERNUT back in the day when we used to publish WACCI... we could have had so much more fun!    Good Lord you are still reading this... well here we go again...   "These violent delights have violent ends And in their trump die, like fire and powder. Which, as they kiss, consume"  "Let me not to the marriage of true minds, Admit impediments. Love is not love, Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove. O no, it is an ever-fixed mark. That looks on tempests and is never shaken; It is the star to every wand'ring barque, Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken. Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks. Within his bending sickle's compass come; Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks, But bears it out even to the edge of doom. If this be error and upon me proved, I never writ, nor no man ever loved."  Really? Still reading it? In case you are wondering... it was one of William Shakespeare's great sonnets.... and now we will get back to the signature rollout. THANK YOU FOR WATCHING!     SevenT

Gryzor

Wow, didn't know it was even possible on the CPC... I remember getting my Fido package on my ST ca.93 or 94, and it already seemed like sci-fi, but on a CPC?!?

ComSoft6128

Hi Steve,

These two images come from Display3 which I think was written by Clive Bellaby. The program displays up to 40 screen files from a D20 disk and dates from the mid nineties. It might have been in the WACCI library but I'm not 100% on that. Unfortunately the disk is partially corrupted and this is why one of the screens has horizontal lines thru it.

Cheers,

Peter

ChaRleyTroniC

----ing hell Steve, you should have been a demo coder... that's the most in-your-face scrolling message I've seen since the heyday of Logon System.  :D

Quote from: SevenT on 05:13, 29 October 18
PPS. Are Fidonet, CRR, Paul Martin or CP/M+ still around???

Yep - Paul posts to SABRE (the UK roadgeek forums) as 'nowster'. I think he still lives in North Manchester.