News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

BFS16 & FAT in the same HD?

Started by Joseman, 22:02, 27 April 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseman

Hi

Is possible to have BFS16 format (BDOS) and FAT (Symbos) on the same Hard disk?

if so with tools do i have to use?

thanks!

TFM

That probably depends on the tool for making a bfs16 partition. FAT can be on another partition, if bdos don't occupies the whole physical hard-disc.

What ever you try: Make a back up first.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Joseman

What tools besides the bonnydos disks exists for format a bfs16 partitition?

TFM

Nothing that I would know.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

KaosOverride

Does BDos use the MBR partition table?
If not, can you write an MBR without breaking the BDos partition?

The solution looks like editing the MBR partition table to use half disk for FAT and define the BDos for other half. Be carefull to count sectors the same way both at the CPC for BDos and PC for FAT. If CHS is used at the CPC, don't use LBA at the PC.

Lol, GNU fdisk needs to be ported to CPC. I have been able to por an IDE disk info.from Amiga to CPC, maybe I can give a try next week (I'm away from home)
KaosOverride · GitHub
MEGA Amstrad Public Amstrad folder

Joseman

Good question about BDOS & MBR... perhaps it uses GPT?  :laugh:

TFM

It does use CHS for sure. However, IMHO best is not to use it.  :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft

CraigsBar

Quote from: TFM on 18:38, 28 April 15
It does use CHS for sure. However, IMHO best is not to use it.  :laugh:
That was my plan too.... I am waiting for AcmeDOS... fat32 from Amsdos, the holy grail of File systems for ease of file transfer and drive/file size. But get real here is a CPC file EVER going to approach the 2gb limit, or requre the max capacity of FAT32?

I think in both cases the answer is NO.

The first 'large' HDD I bought was an IBM Deskstar 80gb, which was so big I was sure I would NEVER fill it. if I had that on my Symbiface (or X-Mass) I am sure that it would be perfectly true. However my Mac Pro has a hardware raid consisting of 3x2tb HDD'd in RAID 5 configuration providing me 4tb of storage. and I am sure that some day I will go to encode a Video, or remix a whole load of music and need more storage.... but not yet (Thankfully)

[attach=2]
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Prodatron

BonnyDOS+SymbOS - CPC - Forum64
But it requires 2 IDE devices...
(you will have to use Google translator probably ;) )

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

TFM

What Prodatron points at is that Bonny DOS get's patched (see patch there) to run on the Slave device, while anything else (SymbOS) runs with the Master device.

Of course this idea works only with the SF2, not with X-MEM.

Well, only members of this crazy c64 forum can download that archive. Else I would have posted it here.  ::)
TFM of FutureSoft

TotO

I'm really sorry that you actually have to do that instead of enjoying the same shared files from BASIC and SymbOS.

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

archcosmo

Quote from: TFM on 21:50, 28 April 15
Well, only members of this crazy c64 forum can download that archive. Else I would have posted it here.  ::)

um yeah..  ???
here's that attachment which you didn't ask someone to upload into this forum  :P :-X
cheers!  :) ;)

Joseman

Bue it isn't the last version! (1.64 vs 1.72)  :(

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 07:45, 29 April 15I'm really sorry that you actually have to do that instead of enjoying the same shared files from BASIC and SymbOS.

Where is the point in sharing files between the native CPC OS and SymbOS? SymbOS can't use native .BAS or .BIN (or .COM) files. IMHO the point is to have a format for a hard-disc which can be used be all and everything (especially PC, to fill the device up - nobody wants to use 3" to get MB's of data over, right?  :laugh: ). Here we go.  :)

Quote from: archcosmo on 13:57, 29 April 15
um yeah..  ???
here's that attachment which you didn't ask someone to upload into this forum  :P :-X
cheers!  :) ;)

Thanks! I won't use it, but I'm sure others will be glad that you did upload it.  :)

Quote from: Joseman on 14:47, 29 April 15But it isn't the last version! (1.64 vs 1.72)  :(

That's the problem with abandon-ware.
TFM of FutureSoft

CraigsBar

Quote from: TFM on 16:16, 29 April 15

Where is the point in sharing files between the native CPC OS and SymbOS? SymbOS can't use native .BAS or .BIN (or .COM) files. IMHO the point is to have a format for a hard-disc which can be used be all and everything (especially PC, to fill the device up - nobody wants to use 3" to get MB's of data over, right?  :laugh: ). Here we go.  :)

Thanks! I won't use it, but I'm sure others will be glad that you did upload it.  :)

sharing files between Amsdos and symbos.

One example. Mini-booster copies to HDD. Since we don't have mini booster apps in symbos yet.

Craig

TFM

In this case I would connect the HDD to the PC and fill it up there. But ok, sure there are cased you can use the Mini-Booster more quick than plugging your HDD to the PC and then back to the CPC. So the Mini-Booster tool can copy to 3" or 3.5" and then using ACME-DOS to the HDD f.e. Maybe I miss the point.
TFM of FutureSoft

CraigsBar

Quote from: TFM on 17:16, 29 April 15
In this case I would connect the HDD to the PC and fill it up there. But ok, sure there are cased you can use the Mini-Booster more quick than plugging your HDD to the PC and then back to the CPC. So the Mini-Booster tool can copy to 3" or 3.5" and then using ACME-DOS to the HDD f.e. Maybe I miss the point.
I am hoping the acmedos will let the minibooster copy straight to the HDD in the same way as it does the silicon disc (if configured) in fw3.15.

TFM

Quote from: CraigsBar on 17:32, 29 April 15
I am hoping the acmedos will let the minibooster copy straight to the HDD in the same way as it does the silicon disc (if configured) in fw3.15.

Well, if it works with the Dobbertin R-DOS Ram-drive C: (444 KB) then it will 99.999% also work with the X-MEM DOM.  :)  I guess it will depend more on the Mini-Booster transfer software. But I'm sure somebody got their sources.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Joseman

The problem is BDOS not supporting FAT32 (and other things), symbos has a fenomenal file manager similar to norton commander, and another in the making like windows explorer.

With ACMEDOS & Symbos & FutureOS suporting FAT32 with a good file manager, there is nothing else needed to copy from PC to cpc (or viceversa).

TotO

Quote from: TFM on 16:16, 29 April 15Where is the point in sharing files between the native CPC OS and SymbOS? SymbOS can't use native .BAS or .BIN (or .COM) files. IMHO the point is to have a format for a hard-disc which can be used be all and everything (especially PC, to fill the device up - nobody wants to use 3" to get MB's of data over, right?  :laugh: ). Here we go.  :)
It is what I mean ... Sharing files from the same place between each OS by using FAT.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TotO

Quote from: CraigsBar on 17:32, 29 April 15I am hoping the acmedos will let the minibooster copy straight to the HDD in the same way as it does the silicon disc (if configured) in fw3.15.
I think there is no doubt about that.

[attachimg=1]

What is that???  :-\

MiguelSky

Quote from: TFM on 16:16, 29 April 15font=verdana]
Yes, but at the moment is the only OS that can handle the big collection of CPC classic games in files without use SNA loaders, or similar... :(

TFM

Quote from: MiguelSky on 07:57, 30 April 15
Yes, but at the moment is the only OS that can handle the big collection of CPC classic games in files without use SNA loaders, or similar... :(

Yes, that's true. But I was not driving at that point. I meant it's sad that people don't support their own programs after a while any longer.  :-\
TFM of FutureSoft

Pentagon

Hi Stephan,

could you please stop to write such a shit? You declared BonnyDOS as Abandonware and changed all Wiki Entrys to that. Why you always write things like that about BDos? There are a lot of very satisfied user, who use that Filesystem over 10 years now, without any issue. It would be very kind, if you would stop your personal war against BDos or Timo & me. Thats one reason why Timo does not work any longer at the CPC system.

The other problem of no longer support - as you define - is that Bdos is finished. It is a full working and full finished project. Timo has not any more idea what he should add or remove or change at BDOS, so it was declared as finish. It is not an Abandonware, it is a usual Software under License and not for sale. Thats the point. If something is working perfect, there is no need to do anything more. I am using it since 1st day of prerelease and i never had any issue or problem or dataloss with BDos.

It is working without any kind of problems and the propietary filesystem is well made and in the view of a CPC User the better System, cause it is very fast and logical. It is matching to a CPC and not to a PC. But anyway it is possible to install a BDOS Version in pure native MSDOS PC and transfer files very fast. So ask Timo for a PC version for it, maybe he will help you.

If you would ask Timo, Prodatron, Bernd or me for help, we would do that for sure.

Sure we have 2015 now and it is time for something new like FAT32 or FAT at Xmass, but at the moment it is still the one and only perfect solution and people who use it, wont miss it.

To all others who are interested, there is no other Version then 1.65 for Master / Slave work of two different filesystems. But 1.72 is still a final working version and not the piece of shit or abandonware Stephan like to have and explain here. He never used that system and he doesnt now how to code a harddiscfilesystem since 30 years, so you should not believe that. He is not the reference or expert of that System.

If you have questions about that, feel free to ask people who are using Bdos too and who are satisfied with that. And any other who like to say "its bad or worst ever" - just do it better - or shut up.

Thanks for reading
Regards
Tom

TFM

BDOS is Abandonware as the author clearly stated:

BonnyDOS+SymbOS - CPC - Forum64

TFM of FutureSoft