News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Cosmos on CP/M

Started by Gryzor, 19:10, 06 January 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Hello guys,

I was wondering if anyone has noticed this? Cosmos - CPCWiki

QuoteCOSMOS is a personal cost monitoring system written by KSL. It runs under CP/M.

It is a personal business application similar to the MSDOS-era PC applications and probably one of the largest projects ever developed for CP/M.

The application requires 63 KB of TPA, minimum 128 KB of total RAM and two disc drives.

Furthermore, it supports the Dobbertin Hard Disk and the RAM expansion, includes GSX and a user friendly GUI using AMX Mouse, provides a 16-color screen saver, supports high capacity external drives, deals with the serial and parallel ports of the CPC and provides CPC-to-PC communication via RS232C.

It also includes a user friendly installation utility.

Version 22 of COSMOS, which was released in 2015, is the final version of this project.

Unfortunately I can't run it... granted, my CP/M days ended with DISCKIT, but still... I boot into CP/M, run SETUP which seems to do some intialisation, but no other files appear (I guess it prepares the disk to boot). So I boot with the COSMOS disk and... What?

I really want to see this, so any help is more than welcome!

TFM

Well, COSMOS is a really GREAT Application. I reviewed it in one of the FutureView issues.

Back the day I had no troubles running it at all. Followed strictly the manual. But I don't remember details now.

You need CP/M Plus of course. Best with Memory floppy and so on. Use the Dobbertin CP/M Plus I uploaded somewhere. Sorry can't help more from here, I'm at work.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Well, sure, but where is the manual? :D

Indeed I tried with Plus... But thanks for the input!

PS oops I removed the link from the first post by mistake... Cosmos - CPCWiki

Nich

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:10, 06 January 15
Hello guys,

I was wondering if anyone has noticed this? Cosmos - CPCWiki

Unfortunately I can't run it... granted, my CP/M days ended with DISCKIT, but still... I boot into CP/M, run SETUP which seems to do some intialisation, but no other files appear (I guess it prepares the disk to boot). So I boot with the COSMOS disk and... What?
I remember testing version 21 last year and I couldn't get it to set up a boot disc successfully. From what I remember, it's designed to run with two disc drives - but then my knowledge of CP/M is also extremely limited.

If version 22 really is going to be the final version, let's hope I can get it to work!

TFM

Yes, it need two disc drives - no problem for 2015  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Yes, I know it needs 2 drives, but how to use them?

I boot from CP/M in A, insert Cosmos into B, run setup from there. I guess it copies some system files onto the disk.

I reboot the CPC, with CP/M in A, Cosmos in B. But running |CPM always boots A, doesn't it? So presumably correctly nothing happens. If I put Cosmos in A and CP/M in B and boot into CP/M I just get a CP/M prompt (with 63K TPA, woo-hoo!), but what on earth do I run next? There's still only two files visible on the Cosmos disk, history.txt and setup.com...

Anyone's got KSL's contact info?

TFM

Ok, Gryror, made this for you and anybody else who has no AMX mouse simulated on an emulator (Damn, that's me too!  :laugh: ). Ok, fun at the side. Here we go...

General information:
--------------------
- The keys "F0" and "F." are used for "yes" and "no"
- When you enter single digit number, you usually don't have to hit Return
- When you enter bigger numbers you confirm by "F0"

How to get COSMOS 22 running?
-----------------------------
- Insert COSMOS Ver.22 Disc in Drive A
- Insert an empty Data Disc in Drive B
- Start CP/M with "|cpm" from Cosmos disc in drive A
- Start the Setup Utility by typing "setup" and hit return
- Wait until SETUP.COM loads and displays the software lizence agreement message
- Use Cursor down key to scroll through messages
- Move Mouse pointer to the "I agree" field
- Press F0 to agree
- Press Cursor down multiple times to read next message
  (Here I enjoy the to read about FutureOS, *grin*)
  (Here you can also find KSL's email address)
- Press "F."
- For the installation on the empty disc in drive B press "F0"
- Wait until it installs...
- Select your year by using Cursor right and left keys
- Confirm with "F0"
- Specify your currency by pressing appropriate number key (1-4)
- Enter balance of last years end and press Return
- Enter first day of the year, this is Thursday for 2015, so press "4"
- For year 2015 now type "F." for not having '29 days in February'.

Now the installation is done :-)

How to start the program?
-------------------------
(In this example...)
- type B: and press Returen
- Enter "dir" and Return to see the files on disc
- Enter "cosmos" and hit Return to start the great Cosmos 22 Utility
- If you have an RAM disc then please use it, this will speed up the program significantly
  - Go to 'Use RAM Disc' and press "F0"
  - Also don't minimize load (press F.) to speed up
- Press "F." twice to enter HELP screen, press ESC to quit it

BTW: I love the screen saver!!!  :) :) :)

This is the most amazing application since a lot of years!!!!! Thank's so much KSL!!!  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

You da man. I'll try it as soon as possible, can I add your instructions to the wiki page?

TFM

Please do so, but delete my futuereos comment, can't resist to joke around.  :)
2nd please. Give it a go first, before you add it, I'm sure you can improve it.

Back the day KSL and me had a lot of email contact, so I followed his development over the years. I know F0 and F. are not common keys, but if you have an AMX (or Bryce) mouse, it's a even greater Application. Mousing around under CP/M is just fun!  :)  One can not overestimate how much effort he put in!

CPC nobel price 2015 for the best Application... goes to Greece!  ;D
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Awwwww he mentions the CPCWiki in the "relevant software" section in the intro =)

He also prohibits use of the software in a DOS or Windows emulator (but not other OS?) unless you have a Z80 machine :D

I'm trying it right now, don't worry, I'll smooth the description around the edges :)

I'm trying it in WinAPE with AMX emulation enabled, runs fine...

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

Nich

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:12, 07 January 15
He also prohibits use of the software in a DOS or Windows emulator (but not other OS?) unless you have a Z80 machine :D
I laughed when I read that as well. How can the author hope to enforce this rule?!

TFM

He addresses the moral and honor of the user. And it's his good right. I totally understand him, he wants to support the CPCs. As a person of heart and passion for the CPC I think he is a shining example.
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Quote from: Nich on 21:17, 07 January 15
I laughed when I read that as well. How can the author hope to enforce this rule?!

Yeah, because Microsoft's EULAs make more sense and are more inforceable :D

TFM

Well, I'm sure we all have some kind of humor - in addition.  ;)

How does it work for you? You get along?
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Actually I dropped it last night, because it wasn't accepting my empty disks to write onto so I left it at that. Will have to try again...

But why does it need to be like that instead of supplying a ready-made disk image?

TFM

That way it allows you to install it on your favorite disc format and size. For example if you have a 3.5" B drive with a Vortex formatted disc (or Parados or ..., as long as it is supported by the CP/M too) then you can use the big disc. It also supports the Dobbertin hard disc (because there is cpm support for it).

What I try to say is... flexibility.  :)  Oh and I guess you start a new project for every year.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Ah I see your point.