News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC-CompactFlash...

Started by SyX, 19:28, 25 September 14

Previous topic - Next topic

SyX

People has asked me in private by the patches that we made for using bonniedos in the PulkoMandy CF prototype.

As i told before, we have not permission for releasing this patched version, because that, i have attached an xdelta3 diffs for being applied to the original released (roms and sprephd.sys).

Of course, feel free of using it, this has been tested in the original prototype, but remember that it can have bugs and we can not be responsibles of malfunction/explosions/... of the CF or the CPC connected to it, by the use of this software.

This release is only for people that loves hacking and electronics, for the rest better wait to one of the FAT32 mass storage devices that will be released in a few months ;)

Joseman

One of the devices? How many mass storage devices are in project?

I know that i'm not the only one with curiosity, please Syx tell us more about this projects!!

SyX

Quote from: Joseman on 00:31, 26 September 14
One of the devices? How many mass storage devices are in project?

I know that i'm not the only one with curiosity, please Syx tell us more about this projects!!
The only public known hardware is the PulkoMandy one, and i know at least other 3 hardware projects, every one using a different mass storage device.

And there is other 3 software teams working in three different FAT implementations.

I'm not going to give names for not adding more pressure to those guys, they are making a FANTASTIC work and in this moment is only a question of time before our CPCs reach the same point than C64 or ZX people.

I'm going to be very conservative, but mark my words, the next summer every active CPC user will use a mass storage device ;)

pinace

radu14m

ZbyniuR

My dream is SD reader + USB mouse + Reset. Faster, cheaper and more useful than HxC. Any progress in this direction welcome. :)
We waiting long time, one year more it's no big deal. :)
Maybe booting Basic script to ease modify colors, keys map, font, RSX,  ROMs (if you have any), some kind starter with list of games, programs, demos, pictures, music... All this just at Hello. Few click mouse (roll acts as arrow keys) and running whatever you want. I want see jealous on faces C64 and ZX fans. We have Amstrads, we deserve this. :D
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

CraigsBar

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 23:22, 27 September 14
My dream is SD reader + USB mouse + Reset. Faster, cheaper and more useful than HxC. Any progress in this direction welcome. :)
We waiting long time, one year more it's no big deal. :)
Maybe booting Basic script to ease modify colors, keys map, font, RSX,  ROMs (if you have any), some kind starter with list of games, programs, demos, pictures, music... All this just at Hello. Few click mouse (roll acts as arrow keys) and running whatever you want. I want see jealous on faces C64 and ZX fans. We have Amstrads, we deserve this. :D
well *that* sounds like a 2nd request for an mx4 format symbiface compatible sd card,rtc ,mouse combo card.

Craig :-)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Piotr

OOOO cool  :D So i stop working on my CF project, to many interfaces be only a problem. Anyway if you need help about prototype board making i have lots of contact in cheap fast and good quality China PCB factory.

]

radu14m

great work !

Hope that this will be compatible with Mother x4  ? :)

SyX

Quote from: Piotr on 10:41, 28 September 14
OOOO cool  :D So i stop working on my CF project, to many interfaces be only a problem. Anyway if you need help about prototype board making i have lots of contact in cheap fast and good quality China PCB factory.
Why? More options always going to be better and at least one of the FAT implementations will be open source and you only will need to code the read/write sector routines for supporting your device.

ZbyniuR

I would prefer something in this shape. It would be more neat.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QeEtSLFX2Vw/VB80zrGZczI/AAAAAAAAADY/_kYBDn1d0n8/s1600/speccy.jpg

I use CPC for entertainment, not to pursue the office. So RTC doesn't seem necessary. But if majority want have it, let it be. :)

From fast mass storage device programs starting in a second, so keeping them in a large ROM seems to be unnecessary. Large capacity card makes, even long movies can be played directly from it, so a lot of memory to play short film is no longer needed. If we want make this interface cheap and popular, it shouldn't have too many goodies. Anyway ROM-RAM-BOX are already on sale.

But a USB mouse I consider necessary if we want CPC has become as comfortable as 16bit computers. To start programs without touching keyboard, like in Amiga, not as PC from 80's. And i think better plug in the expansion port than the joy port. Then there is no problem with the amount of buttons or rollers. And in the future there could be connected game pads, internet, or whatever you wish. :D

I know ROMs that support CF by IDE already exist, and driver for SD card must be written. But that would be a better solution, more modern and SD card are easier to buy. :)

How hard it can be? ;)
What you think about it?

CraigsBar

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 16:06, 28 September 14
I would prefer something in this shape. It would be more neat.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QeEtSLFX2Vw/VB80zrGZczI/AAAAAAAAADY/_kYBDn1d0n8/s1600/speccy.jpg

<snip>

How hard it can be? ;)
What you think about it?
Well I'd certainly vote mother 4x and with mouse, sd-ide and rtc. Then, with an x-mem, you would have full symbiface2 features supported with the added bonus of custom firmware in the x-mem. Hopefully all new expansions will be mother4x format, this gets Rid of all issues with insufficient power to the expansions port as a single 5v can be provided, and the board mounts expansions vertically, so in minimal space, with a reset button. @TotO has made a fantastic board and excellent design. It will hopefully become the defacto standard for Cpc hardware resulting in neat and tidy expansions to all our machines.

TFM

What ever you hardware guys out there are doing, please try to stay compatible to alredy existing products.

Standards are golden! To have shit-tons of different solutions like on the PC side would help nobody.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

jsa

+1 for X4 type.

TFM

+2 for Mother X4

And +9 for staying software compatible. [nb](SF2 or Jareks 8255 IDE. The latter one it the most quick way of reading data anyway. Or anything else already existing)[/nb] :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CraigsBar

Quote from: TFM on 20:19, 29 September 14
+2 for Mother X4

And +9 for staying software compatible. [nb](SF2 or Jareks 8255 IDE. The latter one it the most quick way of reading data anyway. Or anything else already existing)[/nb] :)
hey TFM, where (or when) can I get the futureos symbiface ide rom, I now have futureos on my symbiface and being unable to use the mass storage seems kinda wasteful.

TFM

Quote from: CraigsBar on 21:19, 29 September 14
hey TFM, where (or when) can I get the futureos symbiface ide rom, I now have futureos on my symbiface and being unable to use the mass storage seems kinda wasteful.

Oh well, I must admit this project got delayed through CyberChicken, ROManager and other stuff that I had to do. But let me finish up the MacDeath edition of FutureOS, then add a configuration utility to the autoinstaller disc. And very soon I will have the possibility go get back to the IDE ROM.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

CraigsBar

Quote from: TFM on 19:46, 30 September 14

Oh well, I must admit this project got delayed through CyberChicken, ROManager and other stuff that I had to do. But let me finish up the MacDeath edition of FutureOS, then add a configuration utility to the autoinstaller disc. And very soon I will have the possibility go get back to the IDE ROM.  :)
Yay... Strangely I am starting to like FutureOS, It seems I was a little critical initially but once you start navigating around it's not a bad piece of work. Symbos is still prettier and more instantly pickupable, But FutureOS has something of the 8bit charm to it. If only it hid drive icons that are not actually available, thus shrinking the real estate at the top of the screen. I might even be tempted to register a copy to get my name in lights LOL

Craig

TFM

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:33, 30 September 14
...If only it hid drive icons that are not actually available, thus shrinking the real estate at the top of the screen....
Of course this can be done. In the personal version I ask for Spartan Mode. If Spartan Mode is on, then only actually usable icons are displayed.
Let me attach ROM files with active Spartan mode (please put at ROM slots 10-13, it's configurated for 2 drives).

But to see how it looks with the PD version, you can use the ConfigOS utility and switch Sparten Mode to ON.

Examples how it looks like are here:
Wallpaper - CPCWiki

Sorry for hijacking the thread but I promise to take a look at CampactFlash too.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

SyX

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:33, 30 September 14But FutureOS has something of the 8bit charm to it.
That is a very good description, hehehe.

It's not better, neither worst that the amazing Symbos, it's different and has its own charm and everybody should try it and i promise, FutureOS will surprise you.

And the best thing is the support by TFM, if you have any suggestion for improving it or saying to him "Great Work!", do it! :) You will make him very happy and he always answer back.

If you only read his posts, sometimes he can look a very strict person, but in reality is the completely opposite (in my second email he invited me to the Oktoberfest and i will use that card one day :P ), a really fun guy and very passionated by the CPC and always trying to help in every CPC thing he can.

My friend, you are GREAT, never change! ;)

ZbyniuR

TotO

Don't be jealous... X-MASS is incomming.  ;D

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Bryce

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 20:12, 20 November 14
I'am sooo jealous.
Interface IDE FOR ZX Spectrum 2A 2B 3 Roms | eBay

Why? Zetro (member here) designed that and sells them too, just buy yourself one directly from him (for less).

Bryce.

ZbyniuR

Is it working whole old software from this?
Is it starting automatic GUI after reset?

Bryce

Quote from: ZbyniuR on 01:50, 21 November 14
Is it working whole old software from this?
Is it starting automatic GUI after reset?

As far as I can remember,  the new Firmware supports it fully from boot. I have one here, but I haven't used it since I installed my DivIDE2K11.

Bryce.