News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC Web Browser update 23-Mar-2014

Started by rpalmer, 09:39, 23 March 14

Previous topic - Next topic

rpalmer

Hello everyone,

I have now managed to get pictures into the browser which are compatible between modes 1 and 2 using a single file.
Attached are the screen shots of the welcome screen with the CPCB logo in the top left corner (for both mode 1 and mode 2).

I have also got nearer to completing the connection handler so that the CPC can connect to a web-server. However a lot of development and testing will need to take place for that to continue.

There is a bigger issue at hand and that is hardware. I am going to have put more effort to developing the memory expansion to 2Mb and for the proposed inclusion of SD and Ethernet all on the same PCB.

For the time being I will continue to develop the browser to include more sample pictures as well as a CPC based program get these via a load and save type of procedure (all yet to be developed).

Attached if the source files and ROM image for those who wish to put the browser to work. The dsk image to test what has been developed is also included, but I have yet to get the apps to be rebuilt for the new browser, so please bear with me on that. I have developed a COLOURS app which allows a user to change the colours and does work, it has a save option so that the start up can use new settings, but have not gone through a thorough test to see if all is okay.

As I have said before there is a great deal of effort to be done with the manuals but they are going along as expected.

Included as well is an excel 2010 spreadsheet (requires macros enabled) which has the capability for user to create there own pictures for either mode 1 or mode 2. The color scheme is not particularly good, but is sufficient to get by for now.

rpalmer

rpalmer

For those who have not used the browser, extract the ROM image and make sure it is in slot #4
A future version will auto detect the ROM in slot 1 to 6 or 8 to 15.

rpalmer

Prodatron

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

rpalmer

hello everyone,

I have now incorporated more configuration of the frames and borders to further customize the browser.

I have also sped up a few areas of the browser and made room for more code.

I am still working on getting my cpc to connect to a network, but I am also looking at getting animations (or even movie like) objects to be handled by the browser.

rpalmer

Gryzor

rpalmer

hello everyone,

I have now implemented a proportional font, however there are a few issues with it (namely missing letters).
I hope it will not take to long to get the font handling all fixed.

Attached is a sample of the font implementation.

rpalmer

robcfg

It looks super cool! Great work!

Gryzor

rpalmer

I have now fixed the font handling to show proportional spaced fonts!

I will post soon the source and DSK images for people to test.

rpalmer

Munchausen

Wow, it looks great. It's come a long way!

Bryce

Looking great, it can do a lot more than I would have ever expected. At this stage if you turn around and say you've implemented Flash it wouldn't suprise me any more :D

Bryce.

rpalmer

bryce,

if i were able to get some sort of flash going (and that would be a miracle!), then you can call me "Jumping Jack flash"!

rpalmer

Bryce

If you get Flash running on a CPC I'll be calling you God! :D

Bryce.

Optimus

Wow, so you also develop a hardware for the whole task!

This is awesome. I really want to see this, CPC connected to the outside world.

rpalmer

hello people,

You can now find attached the DSK file to text the browser.

The application 'colours' has been verified to work and allows a selection of defined color schemes or the user can define its own.
The save option does work, but more testing is underway.
To access an application the user uses the keyboard as follows:

O M A (in that order) and then cursor left/right for scrolling a pane of data. Then the user selects the option with space.

As i said before the source is also attached for those who wish to look at the inner workings of the browser.

Rpalmer

Prodatron

Thanks a lot for sharing!
Is it possible to test it in WinApe? Do I need additional Roms? When I run "Disc" or "CPCB" it ends up with the browser header and goes to Basic 1.1.

TFM

Hi Prodatron. IIRC Symbos already has drivers for networking. Do you think it's possible to implement Rays solution? CPC and Ethernet would really open new ranges.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

rpalmer

I forgot to mention you need to put the HTML.ROM into slot 4.

rpalmer

I have just updated the DSK with code to auto detect the HTML ROM

The previous HTML ROM was incorrectly identified as not being initialized, this has now been fixed.

If prompted to insert the ROM then do so in a valid slot (i.e 1-6 for 464 or 1-6/8-15 for 6128). For any invalid slot the start up script needs to specify the slot it is inserted into.

See attached file for items in question.

Also the driver support for network connectivity will also require the TCP/IP ROMs (yes two) which I also have got available (FREE).

rpalmer

rpalmer

hello everyone,

Here is the latest updates DSK/ROM for changes made to the browser.
There is still a few rendering problems to overcome, but hopefully as always wont take long to overcome.

I found out if you attempt to load a HTML which does not exist the browser seems to go to LA LA land, but if the files exists all seems okay.

rpalmer

Prodatron

Wow cool, it works! :)
Does it render the HTML for each screen update? (currently it's very slow)

Ygdrazil

Yes wow... :o

However does Winape support emulation of Palmers networking device?!?

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: Prodatron on 22:58, 12 May 14
Wow cool, it works! :)
Does it render the HTML for each screen update? (currently it's very slow)

Prodatron

It displays the local "welcome.htm" together with the local "cpcblogo.csb", so no network service is required.

rpalmer

Unfortunately, the screen refresh of the HTML is required for each cursor movement of the screen via the icons on the frame. This all due to having to refreshing from the start of the HTML until all of the HTML has been processed, which may mean that the screen of very large HTML may take quite some time after the screen has been refreshed with the displayable content while the remainder if not shown but is processed. Also screen refresh of the HTML may use frames and is refreshed in the same way. I can investigate further to get refresh faster, but for now i am just getting the whole lot working.

I have also previously create a set of sample HTML files which tests other areas of HTML and these can be found within the forums, but if this proves difficult for user to find I can upload another copy.

Just look at this way, I have to:

1. Get browser to work with HTML V4.01 spec as best as possible.
2. Get TCP/IP to work as expected. I have had it working on WinAPE via data injection with data captured on a real PC for things like DHCP, ARP, etc using WireShark.
3. Get the 2Mb memory expansion on a real CPC to work.
4. Get a new ethernet device to work on a real CPC.
5. Get the HDOS interface to work with all of the above.
6. Get a simple Web-server setup to put all of the above to test.
7. Finally, test the real-deal with an actual ADSL modem to access real world web-sites.

HDOS is required to allow for things to be done, since 180k floppies is to now getting to small to have all this required in one location. The reason for HDOS is so that directories are available and this will make some functions easier to manage. For now I just sticking with AMSDOS.

As for network capability, I have only one ethernet device which appears to work. This device uses the CS-8900 ethernet on a chip IC. This chip is currently difficult to get on 5V lines, but have seen them for 3.3V (but 3.3V versions are not tolerant for 5V lines). My next version with use the ENC28J60 via the SPI interface. I can look at the moment at creating an adapter board for the existing IDE8255 where the port is connected to two SD interfaces and 1 ethernet.

If I can get the hardware working all on one board, it maybe possible to convert this board to the Mother X4 interface.

rpalmer

TotO

Quote from: rpalmerAs for network capability, I have only one ethernet device which appears to work. This device uses the CS-8900 ethernet on a chip IC. This chip is currently difficult to get on 5V lines, but have seen them for 3.3V (but 3.3V versions are not tolerant for 5V lines). My next version with use the ENC28J60 via the SPI interface.
Why using an Ethernet device on the CPC, when today all laptops and smartphones are able to access and share Internet through a simple Bluetooth connexion?

Expansions already exist on our computer and many peoples already own a CPCBooster or a MiniBooster[nb]MiniBooster own an SPI port, for adding extra features[/nb]
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)