News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

cpcxfs and idsk do not proper work under Linux

Started by litwr, 18:18, 03 November 15

Previous topic - Next topic

litwr

I used idsk 0.13 to move files to and from disk images under Linux.  However this utility has several bugs.  It can't proper overwrite files, it sometimes cut files, ...  So this makes it unreliable. :( I tried also cpcxfs 0.85pl0 which looks very powerful.  However its Linux port is buggy.  It can't even open 204544 bytes images produced by idsk.

arnoldemu

Quote from: litwr on 18:18, 03 November 15
I used idsk 0.13 to move files to and from disk images under Linux.  However this utility has several bugs.  It can't proper overwrite files, it sometimes cut files, ...  So this makes it unreliable. :( I tried also cpcxfs 0.85pl0 which looks very powerful.  However its Linux port is buggy.  It can't even open 204544 bytes images produced by idsk.
are you using the cpcxfs from my webpage?
Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource
?
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

reidrac

I use iDSK 0.16 on Linux with no issues at all.

You can get the latest version from: http://github.com/cpcsdk
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

litwr

Quote from: reidrac on 19:09, 03 November 15
I use iDSK 0.16 on Linux with no issues at all.

You can get the latest version from: http://github.com/cpcsdk

Thanks for the link, cpcwiki provides link to the older version.  :) I used the old iDSK.  New version with English interface looks a bit friendlier for me.  However the old problem remain and even a new one appear.  The version 0.13 of iDSK shows file size (and type?) in the directory listing, the new one always shows only one zero. :-(
To see the problem with iDSK 0.13 and 0.16 try the attached disk image.

Run"readme2" at AMSDOS and see the correct text of README2.TXT then try
iDSK problems.dsk -g README2.TXT
look at the extracted README2.TXT -- its end is cut. :-(

This problem exists with ManageDsk v.20h for Microsoft Windows.  I tried it with Windows XP under Virtualbox.  I read image then selected README2.TXT and pressed 'Extract file(s)' button -- this produces an incorrect cut file.  However if I press 'Show file' button then the proper content is shown and "save as" button works right too.

The problem with the overwrite was caused by the absence of correct -c option -- I was sure that pasmo6 makes proper load address automatically.  This problem also caused by a minor bug of iDSK with -r option --- it may place more than one $E5 to the disk image.

Quote from: arnoldemu on 18:44, 03 November 15
are you using the cpcxfs from my webpage?
Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource
?

Yes.  I've built sources under Debian x86-64. The command line

cpcxfs problems.dsk

produces

Disc format not recognised!
Image "problems.dsk" abandoned!
No image loaded!

The executable provided with the archive produces the same result. :-(

reidrac

My use of the tool is quite limited, I'm not sure I can help.

At least using the latest version is probably a good idea ;)
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

arnoldemu

@litwr:

you need the cpmdiscs.def to be in the same directory as the executable.
it is in the zip package.

cpcxfs supports many formats, it tries to autodetect, but a lot of formats share the same properties so it doesn't always get it right.

using "formats" lists the ones that are available and defined in cpmdiscs.def.

Then use the format code to open the image:

open -f "DA1A" test.dsk

for standard 178KB data format disc.

I can't remember which format to use for larger disc that you have.

When you've done that you can list the files etc.
My games. My Games

arnoldemu

@litwr:

With pasmo are you using "--amsdos" command-line option to add the header?

and using "end" in your code to define the execution address?

EDIT:
Example using cpcxfs from command-line:

pasmo --amsdos test.asm test.bin
cpcxfs -nd test.dsk
cpcxfs test.dsk -p test.bin

cpcxfs recognises the disc as DA2A format.
My games. My Games

litwr

Quote from: arnoldemu on 20:08, 04 November 15
you need the cpmdiscs.def to be in the same directory as the executable.
it is in the zip package.
I missed this.  :(  A lot of thanks!  :) The power of cpcxfs looks astonishing!  :o BTW It can correctly extract README2.TXT from the attached disk image, unlike iDSK or even ManageDsk!  ;D
I can only suggest several improvements:
1) to make a stand-alone executable with all required data in it -- the file cpmdisks.def (and maybe *.LBL) maybe used as the optional provider of the additional formats;
2) to fix extensions of PCW3.LBL,  ZX0.LBL,  ZX3.LBL files.  The extension is LBL in the distribution but lbl is required by cpcxfs;
3) to fix C-sources - they give too much warnings during the compilation -- this may make them incompatible with the future C releases.

Quote from: arnoldemu on 20:08, 04 November 15
Then use the format code to open the image:
open -f "DA1A" test.dsk
for standard 178KB data format disc.
The format DA2A of my disk image is detected automatically.  :)  This format is the only format used by iDSK creating a new disk image. 

ronaldo

Quote from: litwr on 18:18, 03 November 15
The bug that caused problems on overwritting things in  iDSK 0.13  was fixed some months ago. Latest CPCtelera version of iDSK works flawlessly. You can download it from here: cpctools/iDSK at master · cpcsdk/cpctools · GitHub