News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

cpcxfs

Started by arnoldemu, 21:07, 20 August 10

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

cpcxfs has been updated.

There have been 2 fixes:
1. attrib command didn't mark dsk as updated. Using this command from the command-line didn't update dsk.
2. using path+filename with spaces in it, even with quoting it, didn't work from command-line. Now it does.

http://www.cpctech.org.uk/download/cpcxfs.zip
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

MiguelSky

Great !!! Thanks, Kev ;)

AMSDOS

My favourite DOS<->CPC related utility had Bugs in it!  ???  After all these years and I didn't even know, some Beta tester I would have been if I went down that path!  :laugh:  Blame it on the makers of Windows because they extended the filenames!  ::)
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

For the sake of those who don't know about it:

CPCFS is a program to copy files form a DOS filesystem to a
disk-image appropriate for CPCEmu, an emulator for the
CPC464/664/6128 homecomputer series by Amstrad.

CPCXfs is an update to CPCfs v0.85
by Kevin Thacker.

This version includes bugfixes and
improvements over the original.

Btw, you might want to update the links in the documentation :)

arnoldemu

Quote from: CP/M User on 11:16, 22 August 10
My favourite DOS<->CPC related utility had Bugs in it!  ???  After all these years and I didn't even know, some Beta tester I would have been if I went down that path!  :laugh:  Blame it on the makers of Windows because they extended the filenames!  ::)
it was written for unix and dos 8.3 filenames really.
+ it's support for other cpm based formats (other than ibm, system and data were limited).
So I extended it (a long time ago).

Then Markus told me of some bugs when invocated from the command-line. I promised to fix them but forgot.
And finally after I fell over them I fixed them  :laugh:
My games. My Games

AMSDOS

arnoldemu wrote:

it was written for unix and dos 8.3 filenames really.
+ it's support for other cpm based formats (other than ibm, system and data were limited).
So I extended it (a long time ago).

Then Markus told me of some bugs when invocated from the command-line. I promised to fix them but forgot.
And finally after I fell over them I fixed them
  :laugh:

In other words it's a fix to fix the problem that Microsoft created when they decided to scrap the 8.3 filename policy and do whatever! You should send them the Bill for the time spent in correcting that flaw - they've got Billions, I'm sure Bill will happily throw you a couple of Million!  ;)  Microsoft need to be held accountable for the actions they have taken and more people should be encouraged to let MS know that it's not okay to just change thing around!

Your Computer Programs

andycadley

Quote from: CP/M User on 09:44, 23 August 10
In other words it's a fix to fix the problem that Microsoft created when they decided to scrap the 8.3 filename policy and do whatever!

Spaces were actually valid even in old 8.3 DOS filenames, they were just a lot rarer when people had to type commands in and it's quite common for DOS apps to fall over with them.

AMSDOS

Spoiler: ShowHide
Not criticising the spaces in filenames cause I've been putting spaces in my program filenames since I first began computing, it's these extensions people have introduced since that which has caused heartache, even a CPC Emulator written for DOS cannot cope at running at Real time - something wrong there, perhaps it's the programmer, though the way machines are equipped to run at the speeds they do, the old programs just cannot quite stand up to sheer speeds!  ???

Your Computer Programs

TCMSLP

Argh.  Can anyone help me here?  I'm trying to run this under Linux.

Under wineconsole it prints the first line of text then hangs.  Under dosbox it simply returns "This program cannot be run in DOS mode".

I also can't run 'ManageDsk.exe' due to missing C++ dlls (mfc42) - winetricks can no longer locate the download for this.  Installing the current VC++ etc libs don't seem to fix this.  I also have trouble building iDSK.

How can I create a .dsk under Linux?

:(

Steve / TCM

arnoldemu

Quote from: TCMSLP on 18:41, 04 November 12

Argh.  Can anyone help me here?  I'm trying to run this under Linux.

Under wineconsole it prints the first line of text then hangs.  Under dosbox it simply returns "This program cannot be run in DOS mode".

I also can't run 'ManageDsk.exe' due to missing C++ dlls (mfc42) - winetricks can no longer locate the download for this.  Installing the current VC++ etc libs don't seem to fix this.  I also have trouble building iDSK.

How can I create a .dsk under Linux?

:(

Steve / TCM
Compile it.

There is a makefile in the source. :)

http://www.cpctech.org.uk/download/cpcxfs.zip

from the command-line:

creates a new disk, data format.

cpcxfs -nd test.dsk

cpcxfs test.dsk -b -f -p test.bin

puts a file called "test.bin" into test.dsk. -f for force.
-b to force binary.
-p for "put"

needs readline lib.
I can't remember what else.

btw, 2cdt and the others can all be compiled for linux.
All my tools can be compiled and run natively under linux, in fact I rarely use wine.
In my my more recent tools I support cmake.
My games. My Games

TCMSLP

Thanks for the response.

I did try compiling it and I can't remember the error I received.  I'll take another look tonight.

I eventually did what I needed using iDsk under wineconsole - I'd prefer a proper native solution though :)

Steve

Poliander

Sorry for digging out this old thread, but just stumbled upon this tool and found it's almost exactly what I was looking for. I would suggest adding a feature that allows prepending an AMSDOS header to a binary, this would make this tool perfect - or, if I may ask the question, how do other developers integrate this step into their toolchain? I did this manually but would like to have this integrated into the build process:
CPCDiskXP -File main.bin -AddAmsdosHeader 100 -AddToNewDsk image.dsk

By the way, I had to apt-get install libncurses5-dev, then it compiled without a warning/error on Debian GNU/Linux. Great thing :-)
Schneider CPC 664 • X-MEM • Vortex F1-X Drive • CTM 644 • DMP 2160
Schneider CPC 6128 • Z-MEM • M4 Board • MultiPlay + Amiga Mouse • OSSC

arnoldemu

Quote from: Poliander on 13:58, 19 October 14
Sorry for digging out this old thread, but just stumbled upon this tool and found it's almost exactly what I was looking for. I would suggest adding a feature that allows prepending an AMSDOS header to a binary, this would make this tool perfect - or, if I may ask the question, how do other developers integrate this step into their toolchain? I did this manually but would like to have this integrated into the build process:

By the way, I had to apt-get install libncurses5-dev, then it compiled without a warning/error on Debian GNU/Linux. Great thing :-)
I use my own tools, all of which you can download from my webpage. I use addhead to add/remove headers.
My games. My Games

cpcitor

Quote from: Poliander on 13:58, 19 October 14

Hello Poliander,

On which version of Debian did you compile cpcxfs ? On Ubuntu 14.04 64-bits it compiles with 204 warnings and appears to work.

By the way, I've seen your project on poliander/skeleton-sdcc-cpc · GitHub .
It looks similar to what I've been doing on cpcitor/cpc-dev-tool-chain · GitHub except that the latter automatically fetches and compiled external tools. It's been announced and discussed on cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC.

Cheers!  :)
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

Poliander

I compiled it on a Debian 7.7 system. The goal was to create a small/clean/generic project template without bells and whistles.
Schneider CPC 664 • X-MEM • Vortex F1-X Drive • CTM 644 • DMP 2160
Schneider CPC 6128 • Z-MEM • M4 Board • MultiPlay + Amiga Mouse • OSSC

genesis8

I tried compiling, I had to clean before as *.o are included in the zip, but got the following error due to a missing file :

unix.c:18:21: fatal error: termcap.h: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

^
compilation terminated.
<commande interne> : la recette pour la cible « unix.o » a échouée
make: *** [unix.o] Erreur 1

Sid_

Hi genesis8
under my linux box (debian 9) no issue :
make -f makefile.lnx

I've got some warnings but the compilation succeed.
Do you want I store the binary somewhere ?

cpcitor

Quote from: genesis8 on 10:12, 21 February 19
unix.c:18:21: fatal error: termcap.h: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

To know what package provides termcap.h, you can use this command:

apt-file find termcap.h

It reveals that (among others) package
libncurses5-dev provides it.

So, the answer is to install that package. One solution is:

sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev

which is what Poliander wrote on http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/applications/cpcxfs/msg170822/?topicseen#msg87720 .

It should work then.

Cheers!
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

genesis8

Thanks !

I was able to compile it on my raspberry by adding the library.