CP/M plus (cpm 3.1) on a CPC 464 with Ram Expansion

Started by CraigsBar, 13:11, 26 April 21

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Hi all.

I am sure I used to run CPM Plus on my expanded CPC 464. But now no matter which disc image I use I get a message stating that CPM Plus will not run in this environment.

I also vagely remember a "Universal" patched CPM Plus disc that would boot on any CPC with 128k or more memory.

Have I gone insane or am I remembering this correctly and if so where could i get this DSK?

Many thanks

Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

revaldinho

There are some notes in the DK'Tronics expansion manual on patching CP/M to run on a 464 - see the CPCWiki page.

I sometimes run CP/M Plus on my 464 but I haven't patched my copy of CP/M. I have the CPC6128 firmware and BASIC ROMs installed, and then I load the DK'Tronics RSXes (download from the same page linked above) and type |emulate before launching |cpm.

CraigsBar

Quote from: revaldinho on 19:39, 26 April 21
There are some notes in the DK'Tronics expansion manual on patching CP/M to run on a 464 - see the CPCWiki page.

I sometimes run CP/M Plus on my 464 but I haven't patched my copy of CP/M. I have the CPC6128 firmware and BASIC ROMs installed, and then I load the DK'Tronics RSXes (download from the same page linked above) and type |emulate before launching |cpm.

I found it.... when I say I, I actually mean @Shaun M. Neary found it... It'd on Richard Wilsons WinAPE Download Page, http://www.winape.net/downloads.jsp in the "Other Downloads" section, 4th file down.

CraigsBar

Quote from: CraigsBar on 20:05, 26 April 21

I found it.... when I say I, I actually mean @Shaun M. Neary found it... It'd on Richard Wilsons WinAPE Download Page, http://www.winape.net/downloads.jsp in the "Other Downloads" section, 4th file down.

I have now patched the patched version with the DKTronics Silicon Disc Installer so that the end result is a CPM Disc that maps all available expansion ram (over 128k) into a Ram disc up to 444kb in size and boots perfectly on any CPC I try it on. Perfect for my external Gotek "utilities" folder that is.

sP1d3r

I recently tried my DDI3 with 512Kb ram expansion with my recent FD-1 acquisition to see if it would work and because I haven't got the CP/M disk that comes with a DDI1 I was unable to format a 3" disk.

I was looking on an Amstrad compilation cd that I bought for a few quid off eBay some time ago and I saw four CP/M plus dsk files.

I tried loading the first dsk file into the DDI3 and typed |cpm and lo and behold, 'CP/M plus' appeared above an A> prompt also, though I couldn't find a format command on any of the dsks, FYI.

(BTW CPC noob)

eto

On CP/M+ I think you need to use the Disckit3 program. 

If that's not on this image, try to download the image from this page (other downloads):
http://www.winape.net/downloads.jsp

sP1d3r

Thanks for the info, I was able to format a 3" disk using a formatting application dsk that I found on the cd.

I'm wondering if the cd is totally legitimate, there seems to be quite a lot of proprietary-type games as well as .cpr files and roms on it as well as operating systems although I don't really have much time for playing games these days.

eto

Legitimate? Definitely not. They just threw everything on it, what they could find on the net. 

If you need some nice utilities, get this disk image: https://auamstrad.es/software/aua-utilidades/

sP1d3r

Thanks again.

I think I might try to desolder the 512Kb ram expansion from the DDI3 so that I can solder on a backplane connector, a Universal Amstrad CPC Ram card would be an option then.

Nich

Quote from: sP1d3r on 12:11, 06 April 22I was looking on an Amstrad compilation cd that I bought for a few quid off eBay some time ago and I saw four CP/M plus dsk files.

I tried loading the first dsk file into the DDI3 and typed |cpm and lo and behold, 'CP/M plus' appeared above an A> prompt also, though I couldn't find a format command on any of the dsks, FYI.

If the CP/M discs were taken from the NVG archive (and most of these compilation CDs on eBay probably source their material from NVG, although I have no idea how up to date they are), then they are patched. The patch involves changing a single byte of the loader to ignore the check for a CPC6128. (I learnt about the patch from one of the very last issues of Amstrad Action. ;))

sP1d3r

Quote from: Nich on 17:40, 06 April 22If the CP/M discs were taken from the NVG archive (and most of these compilation CDs on eBay probably source their material from NVG, although I have no idea how up to date they are), then they are patched. The patch involves changing a single byte of the loader to ignore the check for a CPC6128. (I learnt about the patch from one of the very last issues of Amstrad Action. ;))

I've attached a picture of the directory listing if it'd shed any light (max size 2MB!)

Nich

Quote from: sP1d3r on 18:41, 06 April 22I've attached a picture of the directory listing if it'd shed any light (max size 2MB!)

It looks like they came from the TOSEC CPC collection, and I believe most of the disc images in that collection originally came from NVG. :)

sP1d3r

Thanks for the info, I've tried the first version of disk 1 but not the second, so if the second one doesn't work, I'll have a clue as to the reason why.

I wonder if using a Lambdaboard with the Zaxon 512Kb ram and a 512Kb Universal CPC ram card would allow the use of Amstrad C3 mode or whether the Zaxon ram expansion would need to be removed?