CubeMDOS / FAT16+FAT32-OS - for XMASS, Symbiface_2+3,HXC/FlashFloppy

Started by SOS, 00:18, 23 March 18

Previous topic - Next topic

SyX

Thanks guys! This real life project is really hard and consume all my energy, but I have not enough words to describe the happiness that brings me, hehehe.

Ok, I have stolen a few minutes more to read this thread; last night I only answered because Richard sent me here, hahaha.

First: Congratulations SOS! Great Work! :) Your ROM supports FAT16 and 32 and a lot of devices, I will test CubeMDOS when I get some time.

For me, it has been a nice surprise (mind note: review all those nice projects in the international CPC community from the last 5 years ;) ). And the good thing of your amazing work is that I don't need to hurry up with mine, I even think that the CPC community doesn't need another FAT rom. That means that now I feel free for experimenting a few funny things that I have in mind.

For example, I replaced FAT16 by exFAT after Microsoft made the specifications free, FAT32 didn't make too much sense for the original DOM size... and of course, there is a few nice features that exFAT brings to the FAT world. But I never have been too happy about using FAT in a Z80 machine; I would like to support other filesystems that can be mounted easily under Linux, Mac and Windows. Now, I have that chance and I can refactor the code for extracting the filesystem handler, hehehe.

A lot of silly ideas for when I get some time.

Thanks for your work :)

GUNHED

Quote from: SyX on 00:14, 30 April 20
But I never have been too happy about using FAT in a Z80 machine; I would like to support other filesystems that can be mounted easily under Linux, Mac and Windows. Now, I have that chance and I can refactor the code for extracting the filesystem handler, hehehe.

Well, I had the same idea for FutureOS. A filesystem which fits the needs of the CPC. What kept me doing something like that was the question how to fill the media up with data. It would need a PC program for it. And I don't program on PC.
However if there would be a possibility to fill up a device with data from the PC side then that old idea would make new sense.  :)

FAT is not so great anyway, just think about how it stores long filenames. A nightmare. It's main advantage is that it can be used be most machines/computers. But that doesn't make it a great fs. per se.

http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

SyX

Sorry by the off-topic...
Quote from: GUNHED on 14:25, 30 April 20And I don't program on PC.
You should Stefan, those days a pc is nothing else than other tool for CPC coding.

Take a look to the kind of things that you can do using a serial port interface and an NMI generator device in the CPC ;)

m_dr_m

Quote from: SyX on 20:05, 30 April 20
Sorry by the off-topic...You should Stefan, those days a pc is nothing else than other tool for CPC coding.
Sure, like steroids are just another tool to build muscle (:

SOS

Sorry by the off-topic...You should Stefan, those days a pc is nothing else than other tool for CPC coding.

Take a look to the kind of things that you can do using a serial port interface and an NMI generator device in the CPC ;)

What were are seen in your Screen?
An NMI-ROM? Is the Source available?

GUNHED

Well, to be honest... The limiting factor is always time. So I decided to spend my "computing" time to actually do something on the CPC. If I would start to learn how to write a tool to put files on a proprietary file system using the PC then this would take me a loooooong time. Well, it's me, others may be way quicker.  ;D

Of course you're right, today the PC could work wonders.

However, my philosophy was always to be able to do everything on CPC. One main reason to develop FutureOS actually.

In reality until now I couldn't finish this goal due to a bunch of reasons I don't want to discuss in public.

But in principle it's doable, Prodatron showed it with SymbOS. The CPC can do everything. I really do adore his efficiency in coding. Mine was the same 25 years ago, but then real life happened.  :laugh:

EDIT: Sorry, I guess I completely derailed this thread now.  :-X
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

SyX

Quote from: SOS on 09:00, 01 May 20
What were are seen in your Screen?
An NMI-ROM? Is the Source available?
PM send! ;)

m_dr_m

Quote from: SOS on 08:44, 28 April 20
- mdr070: Handle paths: run"/tool/dirscan" (like in ImpDos!).
  Hmm, i take a look later

It would also enable to move files. E.g. |ren,"/newdir/","/olddir/toto.bas"
That's what I need most of the time (it's a pity to have to resort to a slow copy).

m_dr_m

• mdr077: |cd,"orgrel/ee"  displays "8224 ".
NB: the directory is correctly changed. 8224 is decimal for &2020, which is highly suspicious!

SOS

Quote from: m_dr_m on 06:08, 15 May 20

• mdr077: |cd,"orgrel/ee"  displays "8224 ".
NB: the directory is correctly changed. 8224 is decimal for &2020, which is highly suspicious!

Thanks, i saw this only one time before, but i missed to freeze my actual image to have an reproduceable envoirement  :(
(you can't make an image of your DOM?)

Btw. MoveDir, yes it's on my todo-list, but priority extremly-low (this year "no" - maybe 2021/2022/2023)

GUNHED

Renaming DIRs is IMHO a great feature.  :)  But there are always different ways to reach a goal.  :)

zhulien

Is there any chance you can support m4 storage in cubedos? Would you and Duke perhaps work together to allow that?  Maybe all fs code of m4 could move to cubedos and the m4 rom be split into 2 versions? Standalone with fs support and cubedos version?  It would be way cool to be able to use all my storage devices together...

SOS

Quote from: zhulien on 14:31, 19 May 20
Is there any chance you can support m4 storage in cubedos?

I'dont think so + see my Reply
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/applications/cubeios-fat16fat32-rom-for-the-cpc's-with-xmass/msg182179/#msg182179
Additional: It's problematic, that you only can have one ROM7-ROM, so you get more freebie Troubles....
So you must check for both ROMs to init and think about, which is the leading one after an ROM7-Reinit .. :(
For directly Integration of M4-Card, Maybe could be possible (C_SDREAD exist), but i dont know, if this can cause Troubles on M4-Side

Duke

Quote from: SOS on 14:48, 19 May 20
For directly Integration of M4-Card, Maybe could be possible (C_SDREAD exist), but i dont know, if this can cause Troubles on M4-Side
It should not  be a problem, just wrap the C_SDREAD and C_SDWRITE to your FAT I/O and you could set M4 rom to a higher slot than CubeMDOS.

m_dr_m

SOS, I wonder if a new release is planned any time soon! Happy new week!

SOS

Quote from: m_dr_m on 18:02, 11 January 21
SOS, I wonder if a new release is planned any time soon! Happy new week!
Hi there, yes a new version will be come, but things goes slow this days...  :(
Ok, a side-project on the Amstrad consumed more time then thought....

m_dr_m

Glad to hear! Also, I'm very curious about your other project. Can you tell us more about it? Is it the telnet/wifi compatibility one?

For some motivation, a new CubeMDOS bug:

• mdr078: When typing ESC while CAT, HIMEM isn't restored.
Cheers!

SOS

Quote from: m_dr_m on 08:03, 21 January 21
Can you tell us more about it?
Yes  ;)
The Disassembler-Part of CHAMP as an NMI-ROM.
Runable on SF3+Winape.
Actual Status is, that i "only" need to improve the "Come-Back" (Restore of Hardware-Status),
maybe one SF3-only special-feature
Source will be available (when it's released).
I think, it should not a problem to make an M4-Version (but i will not do that, because of limited time)

Quote from: m_dr_m on 08:03, 21 January 21
For some motivation, a new CubeMDOS bug:
:o  ??? :D
Ok, thanks, after the next release, i will take a closer look, what's open

m_dr_m

Nice does your "+" means "OR" or "AND"? :)
I.e., will it run on Native CPC with a SF III, with no apes involved?

What do you use to generate the NMI?
Is it documented somewhere?

I would love hardware breakpoints (e.g. BRK when one given address is written to).

Courage for new CubeMDOS release!

SOS

Quote from: m_dr_m on 08:46, 21 January 21Nice does your "+" means "OR" or "AND"?
I.e., will it run on Native CPC with a SF III, with no apes involved?
And means "and" ;)
Yes, there are statement like "IF Hardwaredetect=SF3 then ... ELSE ..."

Quote from: m_dr_m on 08:46, 21 January 21
What do you use to generate the NMI?
F11-Key in Winape ;-)
Right Blue Button on the SF3, below the display

Quote from: m_dr_m on 08:46, 21 January 21
Is it documented somewhere?
I hope, i will write enough in the documentation ;-)

GUNHED

Quote from: SOS on 09:38, 21 January 21
Right Blue Button on the SF3, below the display
Thanks for telling that, this information is missing in the SF3 documentation.

m_dr_m

I don't think I already have reported this bug (mdr079):

|cd,"/lib"
|dir,"b*"
   -> OK, lists all my files starting with B
|dir,"/lib/b*"
   -> No result.

Also, do you plan an UniDOS version? (:

Cheers!

m_dr_m

(mdr080) @SOS Do you touch to bank connections?
Bank switched from C7 to C0 after a disc_in_open !?! (Using Symbiface III).

SOS

Quote from: m_dr_m on 11:53, 25 January 21I don't think I already have reported this bug (mdr079):
Code: [Select]
|cd,"/lib"
|dir,"b*"
   -> OK, lists all my files starting with B
|dir,"/lib/b*"
   -> No result.
At the moment i do not support a mix of path + filename.

Quote from: m_dr_m on 11:53, 25 January 21
Also, do you plan an UniDOS version? (:
No.

Quote from: m_dr_m on 15:23, 03 May 21Do you touch to bank connections?
Yes, but it's nearly on top on my todo-list, to deactivate this on the SF3 (i hope in this year)

zhulien

What advantages of CubeDOS are there over UniDOS and vice versa?