News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

DSKGen

Started by AugustoRuiz, 08:31, 26 April 13

Previous topic - Next topic

AugustoRuiz

Hi guys!

I've created a commandline program to generate RAW DSKs. It's called DSKGen. You can see the documentation and download it from here:

DSKGen - CPC Tools

You need .NET Framework 2.0 or higher (or Mono, so yes, you can run it from linux!)

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

redbox

This is a useful tool for me for cross-dev.

At the moment, I assemble in WinApe and write to the DSK in there.  Then I eject the DSK and load it into the HxC to try on my real CPC.

But now I can write the BIN file directly to the PC, use your tool to create a DSK wrapper and then load it straight into the HxC - all using one script.

So thank you!

AMSDOS

Quote from: redbox on 10:14, 26 April 13
This is a useful tool for me for cross-dev.

At the moment, I assemble in WinApe and write to the DSK in there.  Then I eject the DSK and load it into the HxC to try on my real CPC.

But now I can write the BIN file directly to the PC, use your tool to create a DSK wrapper and then load it straight into the HxC - all using one script.

So thank you!

In Winape there's a thing called "Edit Disc"(?), which lets you Drop files onto a Disc Image, and I think you can even move Files from that back onto the PC.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

AugustoRuiz

Quote from: AMSDOS on 23:14, 26 April 13

In Winape there's a thing called "Edit Disc"(?), which lets you Drop files onto a Disc Image, and I think you can even move Files from that back onto the PC.

True! But you cannot create a makefile that invokes that functionality, so I created this little utility ;)

The Edit Disc from WinApe has a lot more functionality. It was great to be able to check if my dsks were properly created using that part of WinApe!

Gryzor

TFM

What is the difference between DSKs created by DSKGen or by an emulator. (I don't know what do you mean by raw format either, maybe you can explain that a bit).  :)

Quote from: AugustoRuiz on 08:31, 26 April 13
Hi guys!

I've created a commandline program to generate RAW DSKs. It's called DSKGen. You can see the documentation and download it from here:

DSKGen - CPC Tools

You need .NET Framework 2.0 or higher (or Mono, so yes, you can run it from linux!)

Any feedback is highly appreciated.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

AMSDOS

Quote from: AugustoRuiz on 15:39, 27 April 13
True! But you cannot create a makefile that invokes that functionality, so I created this little utility ;)

The Edit Disc from WinApe has a lot more functionality. It was great to be able to check if my dsks were properly created using that part of WinApe!

Fair enough.  ;D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

AugustoRuiz_cannotlogin

Quote from: TFM/FS on 23:37, 27 April 13
What is the difference between DSKs created by DSKGen or by an emulator. (I don't know what do you mean by raw format either, maybe you can explain that a bit).  :)

I cannot login right now...?
The main difference is that files are written starting from track 0, and using the sectors specified in the XML file. So, for example, you can set it so sectors used are C1 to C9 or 41 to 49, or whatever you want.

DSKGen will not generate the CPM catalog, that's what I meant by saying RAW. It directly writes to sectors, and generates an asm table that indicates starting track, side and sector, and the file length. Files are written in consecutive sectors. If the end of the side is reached, it'll continue on the other side, at the first track and sector...
DSKs generated with this tool are meant (as of today) to be read accessing the FDC directly, and run with |CPM, as no AMSDOS catalog nor headers are created.
Hope this helps...

TFM

Thanks' you made it clear. :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

AugustoRuiz

Hello all!
DSKGen has been reimplemented. This time, in plain C++, so it is truly multi-platform.
It supports a lot of disc types and several catalog formats, and it is open source.
You can get the source from:
GitHub - AugustoRuiz/dskgen: Tool to create different types of .dsk files

Gryzor

it'd be nice if it could be implemented in emulators or other tools...

Thanks for sharing!