News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

HDOS and long filename support

Started by rpalmer, 13:42, 17 October 16

Previous topic - Next topic

rpalmer

People,

I have now updated HDOS to now support long filenames from windows, however the windows name must be less than 66 characters (It can be build with larger space for longer names, but 66 is enough for now).
I have yet to test the file operations (Read/Write/Delete) and directory management (Make/Change) from Windows  FAT16/32 media. The changes to HDOS do not allow for proper creation of the long filename (yet).

Attached are the ROMs (HDOS and drivers) and includes the driver for the SymbiFace-II/X-MASS.

Also included is the "DSK" file for which you can perform a simple catalog of an attached IDE file. I have tested the sample IDE for SymbiFace-II. You only need run the basic file "TC-SF2.BAS" (Test Case - SF2).
The catalog command has changed from previous versions and is now -

|HD.CAT,"file specification","control string"

Where "file specification" is the 30 byte string to filter files. "Control string" is a setting string define what output is required.
Control string is built up with multiples of "+?" where ? is control setting as below

S = Display Size/Type of file.
t = Display Date/Time of file.
a = Display access controls (Read/Write/Delete/Create, etc)
x = Display Hidden/System/Special files
h = Display Header
f = Display Footer

Example is in screen attached.

All of these changes are to support HDOS with E.D.I (Extended Directory Information) entries for HDOS formatted media and naturally increase support of Windows filenames.

As the saying goes.... "Watch this space".

rpalmer

Ygdrazil

Hi Rpalmer

Seem to bee missing the image file!

rpalmer

rpalmer

Hello again People,

I have now got change directory working and was able to view file contents, so that means we can now read long named files in Windows. What a hoot now as we are no longer left with short filename restrictions. While these tests were simple I don't see any reason why they should not work on other file types or filename lengths (noting that there is currently only space for 65 characters which can be overrrun and WILL cause issues if people do create filenames longer than space available).

Attached are screen shots of tests and the update HDOS rom to support these features.

I will now look at file creation to see if I can do this in the ROM space available.

rpalmer